1" drop or 0" drop ball mount

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have a new trailer. It is a 20' bumper pull with 2 - 7k axles and the load on it is constant. It has some specialty equipment permanently mounted so the weight will always be the same.

I need a ball mount that is solid and rated for at least 12k, preferably more.

I want to get the trailer as level as possible. It is going to see a lot of miles going across the country a lot. I have a forged ball mount that has either a 2" drop or a 1" rise. I hooked the trailer up and parked it on a flat driveway and in the 2" drop position the the trailer is about 1" low in the front. If I flip the mount it will put the front 2" high.

Ideally I want it either level or maybe 1" high in the front. Problem is I can not find a ball mount that has either a 1" or 0" drop. Any ideas on where to find one?

I was thinking if I can't find one they make those 2 5/16 balls for goosenecks that have the raised shanks either 1" or 2". I guess I could use the 2" drop mount with a a 2" rise ball that would work wouldn't it? The balls are rated for 30k I just have never seen anyone use one for a bumper pull trailer before but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #2  
When you were checking the trailer for level did you have the load on it?

You need to put whatever it is you plan to pull on the trailer before you decide what is needed for level. An unloaded trailer will not level the same as one with a load.

If you did check loaded, I prefer slightly high at the hitch if I cannot get level. I never like to have the hitch down.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #3  
You can buy adjustable mounts. I have not seen a 12K one but e-trailer.com has 10K.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount
When you were checking the trailer for level did you have the load on it?

You need to put whatever it is you plan to pull on the trailer before you decide what is needed for level. An unloaded trailer will not level the same as one with a load.

If you did check loaded, I prefer slightly high at the hitch if I cannot get level. I never like to have the hitch down.

Yes it is fully loaded and the truck has a "permanent" load on it as well so there is no potential for additional sag with more load.

I am like you I never want the front down, but 2" high is a bit. I can see the springs on the trailer axles not level and it looks like it is putting more load on the back axle.

You can buy adjustable mounts. I have not seen a 12K one but e-trailer.com has 10K.

I saw those but I need more than 10k.

Trailer weighs over that.

Thought on using a raised ball like this? It is only $20 at etrailer and rated for 25k

I don't see why it wouldn't work but have never seen one like that used on a bumper pull

Attachments

• C40044_tn.jpg
    C40044_tn.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 139
   / 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #7  
Thought on using a raised ball like this? It is only $20 at etrailer and rated for 25k

I don't see why it wouldn't work but have never seen one like that used on a bumper pull

I have one similar to that to pull my dump trailer, it was just the ticket to keep it level. Don't forget to use a solid sleeve.

I have one similar to that to pull my dump trailer, it was just the ticket to keep it level. Don't forget to use a solid sleeve.

Sleeve?

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #9  
Bdog,
Since i don't know what your up to, or what type of truck your planning on pulling this with, and you seem reasonably sure about the weighs and that fact that you don't want to be under rated on any part of this, I was wondering what type of vehicle you can use to pull a 12k bumper hitch trailer.
I noticed that several manufacturers of trucks capable of pulling that type of weight easily had footnotes in their spec's limiting trailers over 10K to fifth wheel hookup only.
David from jax

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #10  
Bdog,
Since i don't know what your up to, or what type of truck your planning on pulling this with, and you seem reasonably sure about the weighs and that fact that you don't want to be under rated on any part of this, I was wondering what type of vehicle you can use to pull a 12k bumper hitch trailer.
I noticed that several manufacturers of trucks capable of pulling that type of weight easily had footnotes in their spec's limiting trailers over 10K to fifth wheel hookup only.
David from jax

Or at least a weight distribution hitch?

Actually though, the more I think about it, I dont think I have ever seen a standard(2" drop 1" rise) insert rated that high??? But I could be wrong