Vehicle Curb Weight

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I realize the curb weight of any vehicle will vary with the selected options but why is the 'as built' curb weight of a vehicle not included on the sticker along with the front and rear axle max weight ratings, tire information, etc.

Is it because they are worried that people will use that number and not calculate the actual weight of the vehicle at the time they go to put that heavy load in the truck bed or connect a trailer? I could see people doing just that and then not allowing for a couple hundred pounds of junk stowed in the bed box or the four people in the cabin and then being overloaded.

But just the same it would be nice to know the weight of the vehicle as it was built and delivered to the dealer and owner.

Yes, I can run it across a scale but it seems like something that is easily known at the time the vehicle is built.

I've looked through much literature on the Ford website and not found this information posted anywhere.

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #2  
I have wondered the same. In the mean time I weigh them with me and 3/4 tank.

Chris

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #3  
I did a search for Ford truck curb weight and found several sites that list the curb weight (or base weight). This is a general guide and curb weights may not be listed because that weight will vary slightly depending on the options on each truck (see attached explanation).
What engine, sunroof, alum. or steel wheels, transmission, cd player, even floor mats each item makes a difference in curb weight.

I guess the best way is to weight your truck on a scale. The GVWR sticker is what's really important.

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #4  
That is something I really like that Jayco did with our camper. On the website they list the base weight of the trailer. When you actually get the camper there are stickers on the inside of the door and inside the cabinets. They list what the trailer is rated to haul (9800), what it weight from the factory with battery and full propane tanks (7984), what a load of fresh water weights (384), and how much the cargo should never exceed (1814). Still doesn't give you a true tongue weight and it doesn't tell me how much all of our crap weighs, but it gives us a good starting point until we can get it to the scales.

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #5  
All the ones I have seen DO include the axle weight ratings, front AND rear.

But I too would like to see them include the curb weight.

Not just for trucks, but cars also:confused2: Shure would make it a whole lot easier come scrapping time for our field cars:thumbsup:

But like D-pilot, I weigh mine as well.

My 2003 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 ex cab short bed with me + fuel + toolbox scaled @ 5900lbs.

My 2005 Dodge 4x4 DRW quad cab LB with me, fuel, and handfull of junk, and plow mount less pump was ~8000lbs

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #6  
As of Sept 2003, all new vehicles under 10,000 lb GVWR are required to have a payload label that states the maximum allowable payload. If you subtract the payload from the GVWR, you will get the approximate curb weight of the vehicle.

Attachments

• fig1.gif
    fig1.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 590
   / Vehicle Curb Weight
As of Sept 2003, all new vehicles under 10,000 lb GVWR are required to have a payload label that states the maximum allowable payload. If you subtract the payload from the GVWR, you will get the approximate curb weight of the vehicle.

I had thought that too after I made my original post. It would get you in the ball park and close enough for most purposes.

Q: Did you post the right example label? That is a tire rating label which gives the correct tire size and pressure for the tires on the vehicle. I did not see axle ratings or GVWR on there.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Jumping on the scale is the best and I will do that when my new truck arrives...hopefully before Christmas. :)

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #8  
Q: Did you post the right example label? That is a tire rating label which gives the correct tire size and pressure for the tires on the vehicle. I did not see axle ratings or GVWR on there.

Those numbers are all on the vin tag.

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #9  
It says on there "The combined weight of the occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx kg or xxxx lbs" (just below the tire logo)

Aaron Z

/ Vehicle Curb Weight #10  
Ford body service web has a options weight website that may be of interesthttp://https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/12_TruckPayload_SB.pdf.

GM has a weights calculator that configures options and package into a payloads and axle loads. http://http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2012&regionID=1&divisionID=1

The trucks FAWR/RAWR and GVWR are on the trucks certification placard on the drivers side door post. Those never change with factory/owner added equipment.

Maybe some one can make athem a clicky if their not working. Thanks