Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards?

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
I work for, well we will say an un named government agency. We recently took delivery of a John Deere Gator as well as a 12 ft trailer to go with it. They forgot a few things to spec on the trailer and well we got the cheapest construction i think you could get. At least they must have spec'ed new tires cause we got those.

Anyway to my point. When i first saw it first thing i noticed was that they had untreated trailer boards. I pointed that out, and they were like "well the new boards (other employee) that are treated are not green like old ones". I said " i know but they still have a stamp on them for the chemical".

Then he pointed out that the boards were nailed to the cross members. :confused2: I said no they usually use screws with a star head and drive them below the board so they are hard to see when the wood is wet/new. I looked at them as he was looking underneath and i said "well they do look like" just at that point as he looking under neath exclaims, "they are nails, see you can see them down here". I was like i have never seen nails used, and how do you replace them, grind them off or pull like ****, as we will have to do as the boards are not treated. Not sure but think it will be kept in a shed?

This thing must have been gone out of the way to put it togeather the way they did? I did not pay attention to the thickness of the crossmembers but the nails were just shot through them, as there would be no way to line the holes up. They looked like really short framing nails, they protruded like 1" underneath the crossmember so they would be something like 2-2.5" nails, clearly shot out of a nail gun.

Anyone seen this before?

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #2  
yes.. I have seen some discount places drive nails thru the drileld out holes then bend em over.

using non treated boards is irksome. my 2000 car haule came un treated. rotted in 2ys. I put treated on, and then painted with asphalt paint. still same wood now in 2011. I even overlaid with 3/4" marine to haul some heavy trike tractors that put alot of weight on narrow tires front and rear and would rest on 1 board only.. and I didn't like that. the plywood pads spread it out.

soundguy

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards?
Well maybe they predrilled and counter sunk them all? They are sunk in about what a framing nailer would counter sink them, but cant see how it could shoot through 3/16 angle cross members if this were the case.

These nails deffinitly are not bent over!:eek:

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #4  
I use a Hilti at work that penetrates 3/8 steel no problem. These nails are only 1/2 long though.

Wouldn't surprise me to see one that can do longer.

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #5  
on a trailer i got once, the cross members were driled, but did not look like that had self tappers run thru them.. just dropped large nails into the holes and beat them over. quick and dirty.. looks like someone drileld downt he line then dropd and bent and went.

untreated wood.. wire harness with no sheath or grommets, ran thru holes inthe channel so it could chafe... etc... :(

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #6  
Google- "Concrete Nail Gun" They make nail guns now,that shoot hardened nails,and that is what Carry-On Trailers use (Tractor supply sells them)
They look like a regular nail gun.

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #7  
i bet that might shoot thru 3/16 mild steel angle!!!

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #8  
Sounds like they used a powder actuated nailer. Usually used for concrete, but works on steel too. Kinda a smart way to save time, at least on the low end. Not sure what the holding power of those is..

/ Any body seen nails used to secure trailer boards? #10  
reading the original post...

are you saying that the new boards are stamped saying that they are treated even though they don't appear to be? just wondering because i've seen a lot of variations in recent pressure treated lumber - some looking pure white and some deep green. either way, new pressure treated certainly doesn't last as long as the 20 year old stuff, but i guess that was so kids could chew on it longer without major issues.