F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later)

/ F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later) #1  

brain55

Veteran Member
Well I've had my 2008 F-450 for just over 8 months now and have put over 20,000 miles on it. I have been very happy with it. It pulls my mobile shop trailer very nicely.

I have had a couple of problems but they were handled under warranty. I had the high pressure fuel pump fail and the 4wd shift motor and module.

I tow a lot with it. My trailer weighs 17,000 lbs and get towed nearly everyday. Probably better than 70% of the miles are towing and the mileage average has been roughly 8.5 mpg.

I'm not a Ford guy, I would have bought a 2011 Chevy/GMC 1-ton dually if I could have justified the additional $20k. I think I made a smart purchase, the 450 platform is much better suited for what I am doing in my opinion.

Brian

Last edited:
   / F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later) #2  
Os it a diesel? Do you have any pictures?

/ F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later)
Oh yeah, it is the 6.4l diesel with the automatic trans. Sorry.

Brian

Here's a pic too.

Attachments

• IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 795
   / F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later) #4  
Wow!!! Now that's a truck! What kind of stuff do you work on that you need that many tool? Your trailer so big you could fit wood working tools metal working tools and a million more!

Wow!!! Now that's a truck! What kind of stuff do you work on that you need that many tool? Your trailer so big you could fit wood working tools metal working tools and a million more!

I'm an equipment mechanic and do strictly onsite repairs, the trailer has a full shop inside.

Here is the link to a thread I posted awhile back with inside pics and my last truck.

mobile shop link

Brian

/ F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later) #6  
Thanks for the update. I recall your initial thread. It's nice to see someone get something that works out so well for their needs.

Really nice looking truck. Thanks for the picture.

/ F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later) #7  
Brian, I think for your uses the F-450 would be a much better solution than a 1-ton.

I have a friend that hauls one of those big Horse trailers with living quarters with a 450 and it does a great job for him.

Charlie

One of my good friends grew up around the construction business, he and all of his buddies have big trucks and always have. He told me I was the first guy he's known with a 450 that actually needed one (with a pick-up bed).

Brian

/ F-450 update (8 mos & 20k miles later) #9  
brian, that's a fine looking shop you have.