TPMS

/ TPMS #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
My wife has a 2011 Corolla and I am thinking about getting her some new wheels and snow tires. These new tires will be a different size since the originals are low profile and suck in the snow. So if I get new TPMS units in the new wheels do I need the dealer to change the codes each time I switch from one set to the other or do they just need to input the ID codes once then I just need to reset the system each time myself?

/ TPMS #2  
Most systems I have dealt with I could reset them myself but this is on Fords primarily.

Chris

/ TPMS #3  
Check some corolla forums. On my VW JSW TDI they have physical TPMS installed but there is also a way to monitor it via the brakes. On the VW it only requires changing a few bits in the software.

For me, if I had to buy 4 new TPMS sensors and install fee it would be about $250 at Tirerack.

/ TPMS #4  
you can purchase most sensors at a Napa store if you know what kind you have,most $40-$70. You can install yourself on the new rims. When you change tires you will most likly need your local tire shop or dealer to relearn TPMS to where these tires are.Some shops will do this as a free service, if you deal with them on a regular basis for other work and some charge for everything.Either way can be done.I do not know of a afordable TPMS resetting tool for home us as of yet. Good luck

/ TPMS #5  
There ought to be a TPMS reset in the car control center you can reset yourself for the Corolla/Matrix. It's either in the glove box or above your right knee depending on trim option level. Ignition on, hold the button in until the light flashes 3 times and your in. Might have to do it a few times because the new tires will have different revs per mile. Your '09 is a direct system so you need the transmitter stems. Find them all at 1/2 dealer cost on eBay. I bought a second set of wheels on eBay, bought a new set of Blizzak tires from Costco ($100 off) for the Vibe (same controler as Matrix/Corolla) and now have an awsome snow puppy. Yes its a front driver but it sucked on water drenched roads and ice. No more!

Same deal for my Cadillac CTS (rear drive). What's REALLY impressive is the ride quality. Yeah I know there's gonna be a wear problem in warm weather but I'll sure miss them (smooth, quiet (no rumble or tread block growl).

Most people don't realize that the Blizzaks don't come in every single size. So, you get the closest aspect ratio (in my case 60 instead of 55). Costco tell you to put them on after Nov. 1st and take off by the end of March.

/ TPMS #6  
TPMS. I wonder who made the money when this requirement was forced upon us? I know it was sold as an energy saver, but when you consider the cost of the **** things, the annoyance of a flashing light on your dash because you have SNOW tires on their own rims. :(

Frankly, somebody with a 1% attached to their wallet clearly made some coin, and the rest of us have to pay him for it. :mad:

/ TPMS #7  
You KNOW it was sold as an energy saver?
Maybe in Canada but that isn't the origin on the US....

It came about in the US due to the Firestone blowout/rollover fiasco in the 90's.

Too many clueless people that never check their tires then want to blame someone else when they blowout....

/ TPMS #8  
I like my tire pressure sensors. If it was a $500 aftermarket add-on, everybody who is negative about it would be talking about how great it is and how they spent last Saturday installing it so they never have to walk around their truck in the cold checking the pressure unless one gets low. If I was buying a new truck I would pay extra for it if it were simply an option instead of something the manufacturers put on every truck they sell.

My friend probably avoided being stranded on the highway, while on vacation hundreds of miles from home, because his TPMS informed him he had a tire going low while he was driving. He made it to a garage and got his tire replaced without having to wait an hour on the shoulder for a tow or repair, figure out how to get his wife and grandchildren to the tire shop, etc.

/ TPMS
Well I opted to not get TPMS sensors in the snow tires. Considering that I am very bad at monitoring the tire pressure in my wife's car and that the TPMS have never indicated a low tire pressure I question their everyday usefulness for me. We have also come so far in electronics now that I don't see why we need to forced to pay someone to update a computer that already has wireless connection to the device just to swap out for snow tires. I know there is the reset button in the car but from what I understand is you still need manual input of the new ID numbers. It is also unclear if the car will remember both ID numbers or not. Some models specifically state that they remember multiple IDs for swapping summer and winter tires and most don't say. After this winter I will see how annoying the little red light is on the dash to determine if it is worth the effort and cost to put in TPMS sensors. Thanks for the help.

/ TPMS #10  
TPMS and OnStar are great for a marriage. She knows if a tire is going low and tells me. I get an email each month showing tire pressures, mileage, and when maintenance is due. Texas allows for a 3 year vehicle registration if you do it by mail. Get it inspected the same month as mine and the wife is happy. And everyone knows if she ain't happy, nobody is happy.