Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Default Eco-Boost opinions

Anyone have a F-150 with the eco-boost engine and if so what is your opinion of the engine?

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, John Deere LX266 & STX38 Mowers. Stihl MS290 20" bar, & FS190

Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

I have the Eco-Boost in our Flex limited. I love it.

My neighbor just left fo San Diego and deployent to Afghanistan but he bought a 4x4 F-150 eco-boost last spring and he LOVES it.

He tows a hardside dual axel trailer full of 2 Harleys, a quad, and 4 dirtbikes everywhere.

Good mileage, tons of power, smooth.

David
    Former Submariner & Army SGT
    2011 Kioti DK50SE HST, KL-401 FEL w/72" bucket, tooth bar, & Ratchet Rake, 2 rear remotes, canopy, WR Long RBG72 Grapple, Woods BB72X cutter & TSG-50 stump grinder, TSC PHD, & more to come. Mowers 2003 JD LX266 42" deck mower, & old JD STX-38 (12.5 hp).

Managing 51 Acres of Virginia hills with ponds & streams, mature market timber, riding trails, empty pasture, long gravel drive, veggie garden, & yard.

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

All the road tests that I have seen say good things about the ecoboost.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

I have been shopping for trucks and testing F-150s. It's definitely a powerful engine on par with a big V-8. But the gas mileage benefit is debatable. Based on what I am reading about the engine on Ford/F-150 forums, I think it performs like the typical turbo -- it will give you great gas mileage if you drive sensibly. But if you enjoy the power and have fun with the throttle, expect the gas mileage to really suffer (worse than a V-8). I have seen the same thing on several other turbo vehicles. You can take advantage of a turbo to either increase efficiency or increase power, all depending on driving style. This makes the engines a bit more bi-polar than a normally aspirated engine.

Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

Quote Originally Posted by JasG View Post
    Anyone have a F-150 with the eco-boost engine and if so what is your opinion of the engine?
    If you search this forum, I posted some numbers towing between 9-10,500 lbs on a gooseneck trailer. Very strong for a V6.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

My father has a Super Crew 4x4 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. All I can say is wow. I have had 6 F-150's with the 5.4L, a 3/4 ton Dodge Hemi, and 4 diesels, 3 Ford and one GM. I currently have a 06 F-350 Diesel and a 08 Nissan Titan. While its no diesel its the closest thing I have seen.

Its the best thing I have driven since the Titan. I have only driven it once but been in it a few other times. The time I drove it my trip was 13 miles. It got about 18 mpg with stop and go and about 7 miles of 60 mph cruise set. During the 60 mpg portion it was doing 26 mpg. His average from since he bought it in May is right at 17.5 mpg and this truck has not been more than 60 miles from home.

I would have one today if I did not have my other two perfectly fine and capable trucks paid off. I did help him in ordering his with the options I wanted so maybe in a few years I can buy it off him when he is looking to trade.

By the way, I love the Twin Turbo V6. We also have a BMW 335I with the inline 6 cylinder 3.0L Twin Turbo. Look at the number for that car. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, and its averaging 25 mpg around town. Its a sleeper but a beast at the same time.

Chris

Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot
    My father has a Super Crew 4x4 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. All I can say is wow. I have had 6 F-150's with the 5.4L, a 3/4 ton Dodge Hemi, and 4 diesels, 3 Ford and one GM. I currently have a 06 F-350 Diesel and a 08 Nissan Titan. While its no diesel its the closest thing I have seen.

Its the best thing I have driven since the Titan. I have only driven it once but been in it a few other times. The time I drove it my trip was 13 miles. It got about 18 mpg with stop and go and about 7 miles of 60 mph cruise set. During the 60 mpg portion it was doing 26 mpg. His average from since he bought it in May is right at 17.5 mpg and this truck has not been more than 60 miles from home.

I would have one today if I did not have my other two perfectly fine and capable trucks paid off. I did help him in ordering his with the options I wanted so maybe in a few years I can buy it off him when he is looking to trade.

By the way, I love the Twin Turbo V6. We also have a BMW 335I with the inline 6 cylinder 3.0L Twin Turbo. Look at the number for that car. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, and its averaging 25 mpg around town. Its a sleeper but a beast at the same time.

Chris
    17.5 seems low for that truck. Is he doing some towing mixed in? I get 17.2 in my silverado 4x4 with 5.3, 3.42 gears.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Seems like every time I read something negative about this engine, it's about how the mileage suffers under heavy loads or extreme conditions. I've also found this to be true with the big block gas engines and diesels, so I'm confused why it's brought up?

I'm also looking at this engine very seriously because of what it will be like to drive without a heavy load, and under normal, day to day conditions. Do the milage numbers add up under going to work, the store and running around type conditions? What is it like on a road trip?

My biggest concern is that it's a new engine, and how well it will hold up. I'm not one to spend thousands of dollars more for an engine to only get a couple mpg's more out of it's published ratings. And for $50 I can get a 40 foot tractor trailer to deliver what I buy at the lumber yard that will unload it and stack it with a forklift, so towing and load capicity isn't that big of a deal for me.

Eddie

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by deerefan View Post
    17.5 seems low for that truck. Is he doing some towing mixed in? I get 17.2 in my silverado 4x4 with 5.3, 3.42 gears.
    You have to remember that his average trip there and back is 4-5 miles. It also has 3.73 gears.

Set the cruise its right at 26 mpg.

Yes, some light towing. 7,000# and lower. Nothing for this rig rated at 11,300#

Chris

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jd 2520

My youngest brother just bought one...with every option available. List was over 50000.00. I believe he paid around 43000.00 He only has 1500 miles on it,so not broke in yet, but he is only getting around 15 mpg, but this in Dallas traffic

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast