Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 139
  1. #1
    Elite Member JasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Location
    CNY
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240

    Default Eco-Boost opinions

    Anyone have a F-150 with the eco-boost engine and if so what is your opinion of the engine?

  2. #2
    Super Member MossflowerWoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,758
    Location
    Ladysmith, VA
    Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, John Deere LX266 & STX38 Mowers. Stihl MS290 20" bar, & FS190

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    I have the Eco-Boost in our Flex limited. I love it.

    My neighbor just left fo San Diego and deployent to Afghanistan but he bought a 4x4 F-150 eco-boost last spring and he LOVES it.

    He tows a hardside dual axel trailer full of 2 Harleys, a quad, and 4 dirtbikes everywhere.

    Good mileage, tons of power, smooth.

    David
    Former Submariner & Army SGT
    2011 Kioti DK50SE HST, KL-401 FEL w/72" bucket, tooth bar, & Ratchet Rake, 2 rear remotes, canopy, WR Long RBG72 Grapple, Woods BB72X cutter & TSG-50 stump grinder, TSC PHD, & more to come. Mowers 2003 JD LX266 42" deck mower, & old JD STX-38 (12.5 hp).

    Managing 51 Acres of Virginia hills with ponds & streams, mature market timber, riding trails, empty pasture, long gravel drive, veggie garden, & yard.

  3. #3
    Elite Member Bob77064's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,972
    Location
    KY @ TN line
    Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    All the road tests that I have seen say good things about the ecoboost.

  4. #4
    Elite Member s219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,913
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    I have been shopping for trucks and testing F-150s. It's definitely a powerful engine on par with a big V-8. But the gas mileage benefit is debatable. Based on what I am reading about the engine on Ford/F-150 forums, I think it performs like the typical turbo -- it will give you great gas mileage if you drive sensibly. But if you enjoy the power and have fun with the throttle, expect the gas mileage to really suffer (worse than a V-8). I have seen the same thing on several other turbo vehicles. You can take advantage of a turbo to either increase efficiency or increase power, all depending on driving style. This makes the engines a bit more bi-polar than a normally aspirated engine.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member deerefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,591
    Location
    louisiana
    Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by JasG View Post
    Anyone have a F-150 with the eco-boost engine and if so what is your opinion of the engine?
    If you search this forum, I posted some numbers towing between 9-10,500 lbs on a gooseneck trailer. Very strong for a V6.

  6. #6
    Super Star Member Diamondpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,619
    Location
    Daleville, IN
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    My father has a Super Crew 4x4 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. All I can say is wow. I have had 6 F-150's with the 5.4L, a 3/4 ton Dodge Hemi, and 4 diesels, 3 Ford and one GM. I currently have a 06 F-350 Diesel and a 08 Nissan Titan. While its no diesel its the closest thing I have seen.

    Its the best thing I have driven since the Titan. I have only driven it once but been in it a few other times. The time I drove it my trip was 13 miles. It got about 18 mpg with stop and go and about 7 miles of 60 mph cruise set. During the 60 mpg portion it was doing 26 mpg. His average from since he bought it in May is right at 17.5 mpg and this truck has not been more than 60 miles from home.

    I would have one today if I did not have my other two perfectly fine and capable trucks paid off. I did help him in ordering his with the options I wanted so maybe in a few years I can buy it off him when he is looking to trade.

    By the way, I love the Twin Turbo V6. We also have a BMW 335I with the inline 6 cylinder 3.0L Twin Turbo. Look at the number for that car. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, and its averaging 25 mpg around town. Its a sleeper but a beast at the same time.

    Chris

  7. #7
    Veteran Member deerefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,591
    Location
    louisiana
    Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot
    My father has a Super Crew 4x4 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. All I can say is wow. I have had 6 F-150's with the 5.4L, a 3/4 ton Dodge Hemi, and 4 diesels, 3 Ford and one GM. I currently have a 06 F-350 Diesel and a 08 Nissan Titan. While its no diesel its the closest thing I have seen.

    Its the best thing I have driven since the Titan. I have only driven it once but been in it a few other times. The time I drove it my trip was 13 miles. It got about 18 mpg with stop and go and about 7 miles of 60 mph cruise set. During the 60 mpg portion it was doing 26 mpg. His average from since he bought it in May is right at 17.5 mpg and this truck has not been more than 60 miles from home.

    I would have one today if I did not have my other two perfectly fine and capable trucks paid off. I did help him in ordering his with the options I wanted so maybe in a few years I can buy it off him when he is looking to trade.

    By the way, I love the Twin Turbo V6. We also have a BMW 335I with the inline 6 cylinder 3.0L Twin Turbo. Look at the number for that car. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, and its averaging 25 mpg around town. Its a sleeper but a beast at the same time.

    Chris
    17.5 seems low for that truck. Is he doing some towing mixed in? I get 17.2 in my silverado 4x4 with 5.3, 3.42 gears.

  8. #8
    Super Star Member EddieWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    15,359
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    Seems like every time I read something negative about this engine, it's about how the mileage suffers under heavy loads or extreme conditions. I've also found this to be true with the big block gas engines and diesels, so I'm confused why it's brought up?

    I'm also looking at this engine very seriously because of what it will be like to drive without a heavy load, and under normal, day to day conditions. Do the milage numbers add up under going to work, the store and running around type conditions? What is it like on a road trip?

    My biggest concern is that it's a new engine, and how well it will hold up. I'm not one to spend thousands of dollars more for an engine to only get a couple mpg's more out of it's published ratings. And for $50 I can get a 40 foot tractor trailer to deliver what I buy at the lumber yard that will unload it and stack it with a forklift, so towing and load capicity isn't that big of a deal for me.

    Eddie

  9. #9
    Super Star Member Diamondpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,619
    Location
    Daleville, IN
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by deerefan View Post
    17.5 seems low for that truck. Is he doing some towing mixed in? I get 17.2 in my silverado 4x4 with 5.3, 3.42 gears.
    You have to remember that his average trip there and back is 4-5 miles. It also has 3.73 gears.

    Set the cruise its right at 26 mpg.

    Yes, some light towing. 7,000# and lower. Nothing for this rig rated at 11,300#

    Chris

  10. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    386
    Location
    Flint Texas
    Tractor
    jd 2520

    Default Re: Eco-Boost opinions

    My youngest brother just bought one...with every option available. List was over 50000.00. I believe he paid around 43000.00 He only has 1500 miles on it,so not broke in yet, but he is only getting around 15 mpg, but this in Dallas traffic

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. bobcat b250 and b300 opinions
    By capt_met in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 08:33 PM
  2. Opinions on NH 12x12 shuttle and JD PowrReverser
    By DougK in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 08:14 PM
  3. RFM's - operating opinions / brand - for CK30?
    By HODAK in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 06:28 PM
  4. seeking opinions: L3400 4x4HST vs GrandL 3430HST
    By DavidVT in forum Kubota Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
  5. Opinions on Diesel Trucks???
    By Anonymous Poster in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.