Time for a New Truck

/ Time for a New Truck
Thanks everyone for the input.
1/2 ton with a six cyl makes sense to me. Used, might be good. Concerned about paying just about as much for a late model used from a dealer as a New one.. T I tend to keep them as long as it makes sense. New ones are hard to get that first scratch or dent, but after that, take it to the woods and briers to cut firewood... No worry's.

I would like to keep the S10 4x4, I tend to get around 20 mpg, it is comfortable and like I said, I set it up a bit to tow. Stouter rear springs, electric breaks, hitch etc...So that is good...But it is starting to quite a bit of work, Brakes, U-Joints, water pump, front shocks and every now and then I get an error I think tells me the VSS is going...at least I hope that's what it is. Because I tend to drive it much more when the weather is bad, I get more salt and crap on the underside, so things look pretty rusty underneath.

I think this is the bet we all make, do I spend more on a Used Vehicle vs a New Vehicle....and how much is reliability worth to you.......

Out of the 1/2 Tons With 6 Cylinder power, I want to keep 4WD, any pros or cons out there that people have experienced? I Know some of the Tow packages come out with Transmission Coolers and a heavier rated suspension. I want to take my time and make a good decision.

/ Time for a New Truck #12  
I'm with Bird; a 1/2 ton with a six would work great. Of course, I would be thinking used, and would look at an older Ford with the big inline six; can you say stump puller?

I had a 81 F-150 4x4 XLT Reg. cab long bed with the 300 CI six and manual tranny w/OD. It was one of the best pickups I have had to date. Easily got over 20MPG on longer drives and for long hauls (over 100 miles) I got as much as 26 MPG. I put 160K on it before I sold it to my brother who ran it for another 30K then sold it. Never once had to go inside the motor. The 300 six was a proven motor and economical to operate. At least for me it was. With dual tanks I could go over 800 miles w/o refueling. Plane Jane work truck. Had A/C and an AM/FM radio and that's about it.

/ Time for a New Truck #13  
My only recomendation is.... If you ever take the truck where there might be snow and think you may need snow chains from time to time... Then don't get a 1/2 ton from GM/FORD/DODGE............ reason being is, the suspension is in the way and your can not put snow chains on the newer models. They all put shocks on the outside of the frame, whereas 3/4 ton and up all have suspension in the inside of the frame....

I build snow chains for a living (if that isn't a truly Canadian job, I dunno what is. lol) and every newer half ton we get in, we can't do anything for them... Unless, you put wheel spaces on to move the tire out.

/ Time for a New Truck
I am kinda intrigued by the Flatbed duelly option, Eddie mentioned. I use the truck as my bad weather go to work truck as well...If the weather is Bearable, I ride the Honda. So in the summer, The truck doesn't get much use. Spring and Fall, it's about 50/50, Winter, every day.... I avg about 6,000 miles a year.
I am assuming I could get 13 mpg on a duelly, but no basis for that.
Estimated fuel cost = $1,650, 1/2 ton 6 cylinder guessing at 23mpg = $913, @$3.50/gal = $730 per year more. Additional $$ for Ins, Taxes and Lic as well I would guess. Not huge, but I am guessing $1000 more per year?

Most of what I see on CList has some fairly high miles and probably not much more reliable than what I got... But the Flatbed really opens up some options..and towing should be well within the capability... Decisions, Decisions.

/ Time for a New Truck #15  
I've been looking at some F350's from the mid 90's with the 460 big block gas engine in them with around 100,000 miles or so that have a flat bed. What I'm seeing has destroyed interiors, but basically a sound drive train. I'm holding out for a deal that I can't walk away from. I also don't really want or need the blig block, but havent found a decent deal with a 351 V8 or power stroke diesel. Im not in a rush, so it's one of those things that I figure will happen in time.

I have one truck that is my daily driver/work truck. If it breaks down, I'm stuck. Having a backup truck that could aslo be my heavy hauler seems like the perfect setup for me. Then I'll buy a new half ton truck that gets good milage, has a nice ride and all the bells and whistles.

Eddie

/ Time for a New Truck #16  
My brothers owned a 2000 Chevy half ton with 6 cyl and manual transmission (Older brother bought brand new put 270,000 miles on it, sold to younger brother). Great on gas and pulled trailer with DJ equipment 2nd half of it's life but becareful as my younger brother had to replace the transmission at 320,000 miles.

/ Time for a New Truck #17  
A nice new or used 1/2 ton truck with the smallest V8 would be ideal. I would skip the V6 options as they don't like pulling much over 5k lbs. Also, I found with our fleet vehicles that the V6's work harder even when empty than the V8's so the more powerful V8's actually get better fuel mileage empty and towing.

Good options would be:
Dodge RAM 1500 V8 4.7l (235-310hp / 295-330lb.ft)
Chevy 1500 V8 4.8l (270 hp/285lbft) or 5.3l (270-285hp / 315-335lb.ft)
Ford F-150 V8 4.6l (202-248hp/260-293lb.ft) or 5.4l (300hp/365lb.ft)
Toyota Tundra V8 4.7l (276hp / 313lb.ft) or V6 4.0l (236hp/266 lb.ft)

We have a couple of 4x4 reg cab Ram 1500 V8 4.7l and Chevy 1500 4x4 reg cab V8 5.3l fleet trucks that all regularly get 18-22mpg and tow just over 5k lbs with no problems.
Only driven a few F-150 5.4l's which could never get over 16mpg but the 4.6l will probably do better.

/ Time for a New Truck #18  
I am beginning my search for a new truck. To start I don't put a lot of miles on the truck, My current truck is a 1999 S10 4x4. with 68,000 miles. I have it set up to pull my trailer and Tractor I bought as a package in 2007.
1*I am guessing the tractor weighs in about 5,500 or so. Since 2007, I have had pulled it about 5 times to my brothers house about 6 miles away...So although I spent a little money to get in setup to hual
2* I haven't had to do it often.
3*I think the S10 was rated for 5,500 tow capacity, so I am exceeding the limit, which is not good.

My thinking is if I had a decent setup truck, I would find more reasons to haul it to other places..

4*My goal is to find a truck that I could set up to handle pulling this load,
5*but more importantly get the best Gas Mileage available because I pull with it so infrequently.
1*This is not a time for guessing as somebodys life and limb may be at stake.
2*It's not about how often you do it.
It's what could happen when you do it.
3*Again you need to know what you're diong not just thinking you know.
4*The most inportant thing is to use the proper tow vehicle , trailer and other equipment that will be the safest out on the highway..
5*If you don't drive it much the mileage isn't going to make or break the bank.
6*Nearly complete waste of money to buy a diesel with such low mileage being driven.
6*I think he is not talking about miles driven but rather miles towing which is a huge difference.

/ Time for a New Truck
Dmace:
Any particular years to look for or to avoid...I know they have made some strides with fuel efficiency over the past few years, but not sure at what cost. I think the GM dealer lead me to believe that their strategy is to turn off two cylinders on their V8 when the power is not needed...

I would have to agree with the Ford 5.4l's A friend has one 2008 I think and 16-18 highway is all he ever gets... Has replaced the Rear end twice as well, I think that was an anomaly, and Not what you should expect.

/ Time for a New Truck
LBrown59:

Well said and I agree with you...Not worth the risk.