Time for a New Truck

/ Time for a New Truck #1  

JeffandTamara

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Case 1190
I am beginning my search for a new truck. To start I don't put a lot of miles on the truck, My current truck is a 1999 S10 4x4. with 68,000 miles. I have it set up to pull my trailer and Tractor I bought as a package in 2007. I am guessing the tractor weighs in about 5,500 or so. Since 2007, I have had pulled it about 5 times to my brothers house about 6 miles away...So although I spent a little money to get in setup to hual, I haven't had to do it often. I think the S10 was rated for 5,500 tow capacity, so I am exceeding the limit, which is not good. The Tractor Dealer is about 30 miles away, so I would be reluctant to haul it that far with my truck. As an alternative, I could just pay the dealer a fee to come and get it. My thinking is if I had a decent setup truck, I would find more reasons to haul it to other places..

My goal is to find a truck that I could set up to handle pulling this load, but more importantly get the best Gas Mileage available because I pull with it so infrequently. I am sure this is the ultimate trade off everyone is searching for, but I thought I would start here to get input from people that use there trucks for this kind of thing a lot more than I do..

I am going to start looking at the mfg web sites for new, but , I should consider used as well... The truck I had before this one was a 1979 Chevy 4x4, so it looks like I am keeping them for 10 years, so cost per year might not be too bad it you look at that way...
Any ideas/ advice from folks that have been down this road would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DK30Loaded.jpg
    DK30Loaded.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 351
   / Time for a New Truck #2  
I'm sure some will disagree, but for the amount of towing you do, I'd be looking for a full size half ton pickup with a 6 cylinder engine.

/ Time for a New Truck #3  
Ever considered a diesel truck?? I don't do a lot of tow/hauling but when I do I'm glad I have a diesel. I have a dodge diesel. Mileage in the truck ( lie o meter) says 22.4 mpg. Don't know how true it is but if it's right I think that good for a one ton diesel. Mpg is higher in the warmer months cause I don't leave the truck run as often as I do in the winter months. In my area ( Indiana ) diesel have a really good resale value. I have seen them with tons of miles on them and still want 18xxx-22xxx for them.

/ Time for a New Truck #4  
Nearly complete waste of money to buy a diesel with such low mileage being driven. I'd agree with Bird, 1/2 ton with the small V-6. A tacoma could work too but would need the V-6 model, lots of money for it too.

/ Time for a New Truck #5  
slowzuki said:
Nearly complete waste of money to buy a diesel with such low mileage being driven. I'd agree with Bird, 1/2 ton with the small V-6. A tacoma could work too but would need the V-6 model, lots of money for it too.

The nissan frontier has a pretty good capacity with the V6. The twin turbo V6 from ford tows plenty and get good mileage empty.

/ Time for a New Truck #6  
I'm with Bird; a 1/2 ton with a six would work great. Of course, I would be thinking used, and would look at an older Ford with the big inline six; can you say stump puller?

I would ask what else you'll do with the truck? That may be a better overall indicator of what trucks to look at.

I like my diesel, but for what little you describe so far, it would not be worth the money. First, for the extra expense of the diesel, or the cost of fuel. Diesel is 60 cents more expensive in my area, than regular...

The other thing, 3/4 ton parts cost more... I am about ready for tires; "E" rated tires are definitely more expensive than tires for a 1/2 ton.

Other question, is do you need a new truck? What about a used beater "ranch" truck for towing the tractor and other chores where you will dent and scratch it up(hunting, fishing, hauling firewood or gravel ect...). Keep you good mileage S10 for the rest of your needs.

/ Time for a New Truck #7  
I have to agree with the consensus- a diesel wouldn't be the wisest choice, considering how you will use the truck and what new ones cost. Plus, maintenance on a diesel is more expensive. Back in the late 90's, Ford had done a study, and found that an owner would need to drive 32,000 miles a year to justify the added cost of the diesel option. Back then, diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline...
If you have move the tractor with and S10, then a full size 1/2 ton truck will be a jump up. I kind of disagree, though, about the 6 cylinder. It sounds like you will be towing the trailer/tractor more, which will be a workout for a 6 cylinder. When you work them that hard, your fuel mileage goes in the toilet, plus it shortens their life. If you don't tow much, then it would make sense; if you do tow often (in the future), then a moderate V-8 will tow better, and get about the same mileage as a 6. I love the 4.9 inline 6 in the Fords- I've owned 4 of them, and my father has owned 4 or 5. But, they have their limits, and when worked, really like gasoline.
Besides, if you are looking at new trucks, today's V-8's blow the older 6's away in fuel mileage. I had an 04 Ford E350 work van, loaded, which had a 5.4 V-8 and weighed almost 7,000 pounds- I weighed it. I averaged 14 or so, and got 17 on a long highway trip. I had a 96 F150 with the 4.9 and a 5 speed, and averaged 16, empty. I loved that 4.9, but the 5.4 owned it. No comparison.

/ Time for a New Truck #8  
I am beginning my search for a new truck. To start I don't put a lot of miles on the truck, My current truck is a 1999 S10 4x4. with 68,000 miles. I have it set up to pull my trailer and Tractor I bought as a package in 2007. I am guessing the tractor weighs in about 5,500 or so. Since 2007, I have had pulled it about 5 times to my brothers house about 6 miles away...So although I spent a little money to get in setup to hual, I haven't had to do it often. I think the S10 was rated for 5,500 tow capacity, so I am exceeding the limit, which is not good. The Tractor Dealer is about 30 miles away, so I would be reluctant to haul it that far with my truck. As an alternative, I could just pay the dealer a fee to come and get it. My thinking is if I had a decent setup truck, I would find more reasons to haul it to other places..

My goal is to find a truck that I could set up to handle pulling this load, but more importantly get the best Gas Mileage available because I pull with it so infrequently. I am sure this is the ultimate trade off everyone is searching for, but I thought I would start here to get input from people that use there trucks for this kind of thing a lot more than I do..

I am going to start looking at the mfg web sites for new, but , I should consider used as well... The truck I had before this one was a 1979 Chevy 4x4, so it looks like I am keeping them for 10 years, so cost per year might not be too bad it you look at that way...
Any ideas/ advice from folks that have been down this road would be appreciated.

Jeff, My farm is 5 miles away from my house and for 7 yrs. now since we moved from the farm I have been driving my NH TC-29 D ...those 5 miles to bush hog the pastures...I can go 13 MPH and it takes me right at 20 min. so I have never seen the need to buy a trailer...Here is why...

By the time I hook a trailer up to my truck , drive the tractor on, chain it down and then drive to the farm, unload the tractor...well, see what I mean...it just would not pay for me to buy a trailer for hauling it since I have no other need to take anywhere else..If I ever needed it to go in for service the dealer would pick it up or my neighbor would take it in for me...so you might consider the cost vs. benefit of travailing it - In 7 yrs. of driving 5 miles there and back 5 or so times a yr. I have no visible wear on my Turf tires....Just my 2 cents.:)

/ Time for a New Truck #9  
From a logical and purely financial point of view, I kind of agree with Brin - my limit for loading the tractor is at least 5 miles - otherwise it takes way too much time loading, unloading, etc.

Unless you have to take the tractor to the dealer for service/repairs often, his hauling fees for a years trips is probably less than a single payment on a new (or new to ya) truck.

That being said - sometimes you just want a new/different/bigger/faster/etc truck, and as long as you can afford it, nothing wrong with that. BTDT - some of those times I bought another truck, sometimes I cleaned up the old one to fee better about driving it!

/ Time for a New Truck #10  
I'm in a similar situation and my current thought is to buy a used one ton, flatbed duelly. I'm not really wanting a diesel, but won't turn it down either. I've had both and I like both gas and diesel. What is most important is that it's not wore out and that it's still reliable.

I've seen some really good deals for $5,000, and some very interesting trucks for $8,000.

Eddie