Decent non-China trailer tires ?

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ? #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Anybody have any suggestions on a good NON-CHINA MADE highway trailer tire ?

My original tire is an ST175/80R13. I know these are small/less common now, I'll look at a '185, or even going to 14" if needed,but after doing some reading today it doesn't sound like that will solve the common problems many people are having.

Blowouts seem common with Goodyear, and Carlisle. Some people posting the last few years had run tires from the same companies in the past, with no issues.

About the only company that I could find that didn't have many negative reviews was Denman. Perhaps there is just less data out there, as it is a less common brand ?

So far I'm liking the older trailer I picked up recently, but, it's getting a little depressing reading about how bad most of the current production trailer tires are.

I may consider upsizing my rims to use a Light Truck tire, but wanted to ask here, before wrestling with that.

Hmmmmm.....

Rgds, D.

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ? #2  
Maxxis ST8008 has been getting good results on a couple of RV webs than all other ST tires. Depending on size some come from Thailand/Korea or China.

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ?
Thnx JIGBUILDER - I'll look at anything but China, that gives me one more to check out.

D.

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ? #4  
Good Year has moved their Marathon trailer tire manufacturing back to the States, North Carolina I believe. I've had U.S.A. made ST205 75 R15 on my boat trailer for going on two years now and no problems. But some people here hate Good Year and feel there are others that are better. Get what you feel are best for you.

Thnx Toyboy.

I'm not closed off to considering a USA made Goodyear, esp. if I can find other good recent reports.

I will need to check on my stock size with Goodyear - being small, it is likely to be made off-shore, even if there is a North American plant running.

Rgds, D.

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ? #6  
Anybody have any suggestions on a good NON-CHINA MADE highway trailer tire ?

My original tire is an ST175/80R13. I know these are small/less common now, I'll look at a '185, or even going to 14" if needed,but after doing some reading today it doesn't sound like that will solve the common problems many people are having.

Blowouts seem common with Goodyear, and Carlisle. Some people posting the last few years had run tires from the same companies in the past, with no issues.

About the only company that I could find that didn't have many negative reviews was Denman. Perhaps there is just less data out there, as it is a less common brand ?

So far I'm liking the older trailer I picked up recently, but, it's getting a little depressing reading about how bad most of the current production trailer tires are.

I may consider upsizing my rims to use a Light Truck tire, but wanted to ask here, before wrestling with that.

Hmmmmm.....

Rgds, D.
I know you do not want to hear this but there is none. I have used them all as I maintain trailers and boats along with a fleet of trailers for a lawn care company for a living, 2nd job. I buy 10 sets of 4 trailer tires per year or more and Denmen once or twice. The best I have found are Gladiator, Trailer King, GreenBall Tow Masters, and Maxxis.

By far the worst were the American made Goodyears and Carlisles.

Proper inflation and good valve steams are very important along with balancing them.

My 3 personal trailers have Gladiators and Greenballs on them with no issues. 2 of them came with Goodyears that did not last 1 season and the other with Carlisles that made it just over 2.

Chris

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ? #7  
One other thing to consider, especially with your small odd size, is to check the build date prior to install. Its on every DOT approved tire and is a code like 4510 which will be in a oval shaped raised bubble that is aprox 3/8" by 2". The example of the code I gave says the tires were built the 45th week of 2010. Go out and look at any tire you have and you will find it. Some are only on one side so you may have to look at the back side of the tire to find it.

I would never run a tire over 6 years old. I would also never buy a new tire over 12 months old. Just because its never been used does not mean the clock has not started yet.

This is a problem in the trailer world. The manufactures will buy bulk tires at a good price and my sit for 2-3 years before using them. I looked at my friends brand new 5th wheel camper he bought in 2008 and it had tires built early summer 2004. The tires failed in 2 years on him. I would not have taken delivery of the camper but he did not know any better.

Chris

Excellent points Chris.

Good data on the manufacturers, that is exactly the commercial use feedback I was looking for.

Some of those names don't ring a bell, but I'm new to trailer tires, and live in Canada.

All that said, I've made plenty of drives the last few years to the USA for car/truck parts, these 4 (more like 5) tires I need will probably be my next trip. (Ex. though I wouldn't buy them, Carlisle in USA is $70, up here, $125 so far, with higher taxes added).

Saving money is always important, but I place tire safety well above cost.

Scary stuff.... may take lawsuits to correct though.

I could see I would need at least 2 tires, after not much reading, revised that to 4, minimum.

The one date code found so far is '03, so I'm definitely on borrowed time.

All this makes me look at the beat up P tires (still working well) on my small utility trailer in another light.

Thnx much.

D.

/ Decent non-China trailer tires ? #10  
It's not quite the same but I have a set of GBC (Greenball) tires on my atv. I have nothing bad to say about them, a very good tire.