Hummer H3 Question

/ Hummer H3 Question #1  

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris RZR 900 Trail
Anyone have one of these that wasn't happy with the high-beams?...Low beams are fantastic with the running lights....High beams are awful. For reasons I still don't get, the running lights shut off with the high beams..

Aside from installing the blinger "bluelights" any other suggestions?

Wife's truck, so I want to do something, just not sure what.

/ Hummer H3 Question #2  
Aftermarket "highbeams" and forget the stock ones

I prefer Helle brand. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-005750991-12-Volt-55-Watt-Halogen/dp/tags-on-product/B00318JTCS[/ame]

/ Hummer H3 Question #3  
Anyone have one of these that wasn't happy with the high-beams?...Low beams are fantastic with the running lights....High beams are awful. For reasons I still don't get, the running lights shut off with the high beams..

Aside from installing the blinger "bluelights" any other suggestions?

Wife's truck, so I want to do something, just not sure what.

I'm wondering if you're confusing the fog lamps with running lights. If that's the case, I believe it's due to federal or state regulation.

If you're sure it's the daylight running lights (DRLs), read your manual closely. My F-150 has DRLs which can be switched on (whenever the engine is running) or selected off (if you don't want to use them).
An easier method might be to search the answer on Google (there are a lot of hits on this question, BTW). Google about running the fog lamps on with the high beams also results in a lot of hits as well, BTW.

As far as your high beams...maybe try aiming them before going to another type of lamp:
headlight adjustment - Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

I'm considering the HID lamps for my F-150. However, it's not just replacing a bulb. I'll have to swap out the whole reflector/lense assembly and add a relay. The cost isn't prohibitive, but it just isn't a high priority right now.

/ Hummer H3 Question #4  
The high beams are not very good on the H3, I had a brush bar and PIAA 130 watt driving lights on my first H3 worked great. We have another H3 now and I'm still looking for a brush bar, as they are getting harder to find unless you want a cheap one made of thin wall tubing.
Wired lights thru a switch and tapped into high beams to power relay so I could dim driving lights the same time as high beams.
Good luck and post any pictures of your solution.

/ Hummer H3 Question #5  
I almost bought a H3 when I bought my Wrangler Unlimited. THe Wrangler has dim high beams also. I replaced the factory headlamps with Sylvania SilverStars (bright white, not that annoying blue). Made a big difference.:thumbsup:

Edit: Here's a link to the SilverStars that fit your H3. I ordered mine from Amazon also. About $10 cheaper than my local autoparts store. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SilverStar-Performance-Halogen-Headlight/dp/B005KDO8U0/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=H3%7C2805&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Hummer%7C93&Year=2008%7C2008&vehicleType=automotive&newCar=1&carId=001[/ame]

Last edited:
   / Hummer H3 Question
I almost bought a H3 when I bought my Wrangler Unlimited. THe Wrangler has dim high beams also. I replaced the factory headlamps with Sylvania SilverStars (bright white, not that annoying blue). Made a big difference.:thumbsup:

Edit: Here's a link to the SilverStars that fit your H3. I ordered mine from Amazon also. About $10 cheaper than my local autoparts store. Amazon.com: Sylvania H13 (9008) SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight - Pack of 2: Automotive

I'll look for those...Thanks

/ Hummer H3 Question #7  
I'll look for those...Thanks

I had those SilverStars in my Explorer and wife's Ranger a few years back. Also have them in our Outback now.
They're pretty nice...and you can definitely beat Amazon's price. I got mine at AutoZone, IIRC.

/ Hummer H3 Question
I had those SilverStars in my Explorer and wife's Ranger a few years back. Also have them in our Outback now.
They're pretty nice...and you can definitely beat Amazon's price. I got mine at AutoZone, IIRC.

Assuming these are direct replacement, not relay's etc?

/ Hummer H3 Question #9  
Assuming these are direct replacement, not relay's etc?

That's correct, a direct replacement bulb and make sure you buy the correct bulb as they make 'em for both high and low beams.
Just don't touch the glass when you install them.

/ Hummer H3 Question
That's correct, a direct replacement bulb and make sure you buy the correct bulb as they make 'em for both high and low beams.
Just don't touch the glass when you install them.

Thanks...I've replaced a bunch of halogen bulbs in the past...I've just heard that some of the aftermarket bulbs have a significant voltage draw over stock which can cause wiring problems...I certainly don't want that.

BTW..i did re-aim the lights...When we got it the low beams were aimed to high and we were getting "beamed' constantly...I think someone raised the iam to comensate for the poor high beams...Wish the driving lights would stay on with the high beams..Still can't figure that out, but every truck I've had does the same thing.