Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
Has anyone successfully removed a peel and stick blind spot mirror stuck to another mirror? Wishful thinking of something that would dissolve the sticky.

Here at the ranch on Saturday I have at my disposal WD-40, carburetor cleaner, diesel fuel, kerosene, acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner and probably some products I can't think of at the moment.

A hammer driving a putty knife behind it doesn't qualify:D

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #2  
Attempted and done it only once but was successful.

But this one was held by sticky foam tape about 1/64 thick.

Used a double edge razor blade and gently cut the foam all the way around till all that was left was a small spot in center.

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #3  
Has anyone successfully removed a peel and stick blind spot mirror stuck to another mirror? Wishful thinking of something that would dissolve the sticky.

Here at the ranch on Saturday I have at my disposal WD-40, carburetor cleaner, diesel fuel, kerosene, acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner and probably some products I can't think of at the moment.

A hammer driving a putty knife behind it doesn't qualify:D

Both WD-40 and paint thinner will soften and remove the sticky...I have had good success in the past (on my work trucks) soaking the backing of the blind spot mirror with solvent and then carefully using an X-acto knife (long handled razor blade) to cut thru the softened backing as needed. Rather than PRY it away (horizontally) from the primary mirror, if possible, TWIST it in a vertical manner. There are those who say using a jet blast from a power washer or car wash will work but I have never tried that.

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #4  
Both WD-40 and paint thinner will soften and remove the sticky...I have had good success in the past (on my work trucks) soaking the backing of the blind spot mirror with solvent and then carefully using an X-acto knife (long handled razor blade) to cut thru the softened backing as needed. Rather than PRY it away (horizontally) from the primary mirror, if possible, TWIST it in a vertical manner. There are those who say using a jet blast from a power washer or car wash will work but I have never tried that.

a fishing leader to cut the foam tape and a 3M eraser wheel to remove the rest.

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #5  
a fishing leader to cut the foam tape and a 3M eraser wheel to remove the rest.

I really like the fishing line idea, thanks for sharing that!!! :thumbsup:
For those who don't fish, masons's line would likley work well too. Not sure about dental floss...

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #6  
I have used Goo Gone with good success on plastics than can be dissolved by harsher solvents.

It take a few minutes and repeated application and the razor knife, but it leaves the substrate surface clean and undamaged.

Goo Gone 8oz

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #7  
Could try nail varnish remover to melt the bond

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #8  
Could try nail varnish remover to melt the bond

Try it somewhere not noticeable first. ONE time I tried Nail Polish Remover it ate the plastic up around the glass. Never again.

Chris

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #9  
Hair drier to remove the mirror and the sticky pad, may not leave hardly any sticky on the main mirror, It may all come off in one piece. It it lets go on the blind spot mirror and leaves the adhesive pad, on the main mirror, continue with the heat and try to pull the adhesive off in one piece and use razor blade to start lifting one corner and try to peel. It it leaves residue, use razor blade and and a little goo-gone.

James K0UA

/ Blind Spot/ Hot Spot mirror removal #10  
Nail polish remover is usually acetone...should help remove the adhesive.

One way is to carefully break the convex mirror glass then work on the backing, which used to be metal but are usually plastic now. One can usually heat the backing, easier to get heat to it without the glass mirror on it, with a heat gun to carefully pull it off.