Removing Alternator on 350 Chev

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I need to remove the alternator on a 1973 Chev 1-ton with 350 V8. It's the original and been on there for 39 years.

I'm concerned about the bolt that passes thru the alternator, bracket and spacer and screws into a boss on the cylinder head. I gave it a pretty good tug with a 1/2" ratchet and it doesn't budge. I really don't want to snap it off in the head if I can help it. I've sprayed some PB Blaster on it and tapped on the bolt head a little but the blaster may not even be getting in to the threads.

Do these things often break off? Would it help to run the engine up to operating temperature? Any advice appreciated.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #2  
Bust it off and trundle to the hardware store and get a new one.

It's a GM. It's used to that kind of care.......:D

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #3  
It may help some to warm up engine and no i would'nt say that that bolts breaks off very often. you might try a impact wrench on it some time if you can hit the bolt hard and fast with a impact they will come right out and not break. Good luck.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #4  
It may help some to warm up engine and no i would'nt say that that bolts breaks off very often. you might try a impact wrench on it some time if you can hit the bolt hard and fast with a impact they will come right out and not break. Good luck.

Agree

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #5  
Warm it up, try tightening first then loosen.
Is it frozen in the head or in the aluminum Alt frame? If frame I would try hitting the frame where the bolt goes through with a flat punch in an air chisel. Or heat the frame and lub.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev
Warm it up, try tightening first then loosen.
Is it frozen in the head or in the aluminum Alt frame? If frame I would try hitting the frame where the bolt goes through with a flat punch in an air chisel. Or heat the frame and lub.
I am thinking it is frozen in the head. If I loosen the adjusting bracket and take a 2x3 to pry the alternator I can get it to move and get the belt on or off. Because it's frozen in the head is why I'm afraid it will snap off there and then I will have to deal with getting the broken piece out which won't be easy. I did try tightening first, but I didn't have the engine warmed up.

If there's enough room I will try the impact wrench if nothing else works.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #7  
Yea i would go get it to operating temp then dog the **** out of it around the bock a few times then once you get to your drive or shop rev it several times to get the head temps maxed out. I would put trans fluid on it prior to this if you can keep it off manifold. Then i would tap it once you got thru driving it then try the impact, i bet it comes out.

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #8  
Impact gun on low setting for a while after repeated soaks with Kroil (insert your favorite product here) and heating gently with a torch. The impact gun on a lower setting will vibrate the cr ap out of the bolt and fitting, should come loose. Patience is the key.

Dave

/ Removing Alternator on 350 Chev #9  
Take all the wires or only one wire if its original off and try spinning alt loose its usually not frooze in the head. Of it is a little heat on the head will help.