Where can I get a big, farm wagon?

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I assume "wagon" is the right name ... I was around this big ol' wagon a few years ago that had a thick wood deck, flat deck (no rails), deck about 4' off the ground, big metal wheels, front wheels turn with a tongue (from what I remember), 8 or 9 feet wide, prob 18 or 20 feet long, sturdy as all get out ... That one's gone now; I think it's owned by a nearby farmer who moved it away from the road. 6 of us jumped up on it & you couldn't even tell we were all there; it never budged.

Maybe it's a hay wagon?

Anybody know where I can get one? I searched craigslist for "wagon" but found nothing close to what I described. Most are much smaller.

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #2  
Called a Hay Wagon around here. I very rarely see them for sale but do time to time. They usually go for $800 to $1000 well used around here.

Chris

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #4  
On this iPhone app, it does not show me your location. Where are you located at?

If you are in the northeastern area or anywhere there is a heavy Amish population, they could often sell you a refurb one. They do great work and very nice to work with, given you can handle rough time frames and limited contact besides driving to see them. We have one I believe is 14 or 16 feet long and 7 feet wide, use it to haul leaves and brush and logs, as well as do hayrides. Holds up great. Bought it about 7-8 years ago. Have to check on what the price was. This was a reused frame that had been repainted and all greased and ready, new tires, etc, and a new wood deck.

Only had two problems with it. tongue bent, dad tried to dump it by picking up the tongue with the loader?? Not the smartest.

And the other is a veeeerryy slow leak in one of the front tires.

Oh, and it squeaks pretty loud when you get above 20mph. Shouldn't do that too often anyway.

Kyle

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #5  
We always call them a hay rack. Growing up, we built the wooden upper and purchased the running gear. You can get running gear at Iowa Farm Equipment, for example.

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #7  
I was able to find two frames on craigslist by searching for 'haywagon'. I need to rebuild the decks, but it wasn't a bad deal at $200 a pop. Then, a few weeks later, I picked up another one at a local farm auction for $650. It is a little bigger than the two I picked up previously and already has the rails for catching and stacking hay. Also, the John Deere dealer down the street from me has a couple of the lot. I think they are running in the neighborhood of $3000 or so. Take a ride through the country, you might spot a few, especially around the end of hay season. And, check your closest tractor dealer that has a full line of farm equipment. New and good used ones will not be cheap!

Hawk

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #9  
haywagon is a good search term.
Here are a couple:
4 WHEEL FARM HAY WAGON, ALSO MAKES A GREAT FLOAT TRAILER - The pipe in the middle can usually be extended to make it longer.
hay wagon

Aaron Z
Aaron, the first one with the pictures appears to have a 5th wheel setup for steering. Wouldn't this be less desirable than one with tie rod steering? It seems the 5th wheel would be more tippy, but what do I know?

Do they still make new running gear with 5th wheel? Would the fifth wheel type tow better at highway speeds than one with tie rods? I haven't had much luck going faster than tractor speed with these things over the road.

Like farmboy12 said the Amish build these beds if there is a community near you. In the northeast they get about $500 for a 16'x8' oak bed with no racks (sides) and no running gear and it's built strong.

/ Where can I get a big, farm wagon? #10  
The turntable style steering is obsolete in North America but apparently still used in europe with brakes axles for high speeds (less sway). They are very tippy when turned on hills.

Here they are called haywagons, the running gear is the part underneath and the deck or rack is the flat part on top. Usually called a rack when they have sides for a bale thrower.

We've got 8 of them on the farm, one always needs a new deck put on it.