Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#?

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #41  
Here is the chart for the registration fees. If your trailer is over 10K it needs to be combined. So since my truck is 8800 GVW and the trailer is 14000 GVW I would need a class 8 registration sticker for my truck (21,001-26000 GVW). In PA big rigs have the class 25 sticker. I think the whole thing is confusing...

Attachments

• registration rate.jpg
    registration rate.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 173
   / Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #42  
I would say you could get away with it until you get pulled over by DOT. Then when they weigh you, you better hope it's not over 9990 GVW or you will get fined I'd imagine. The only reason I want to set mine to 9990 is to avoid combination plates.

In PA it would cost me $405 a year in registration plus Id have to inspect the trailer twice a year (additional $100).

Do they always look at the trailers reg? mechanically you would be safe.

I agree with saving money on the plates, my dump and flatbed are registered as camp trailers, which is what they give you if you are not using for commercial, huge difference in reg cost.

JB

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #43  
Do they always look at the trailers reg? mechanically you would be safe.

I agree with saving money on the plates, my dump and flatbed are registered as camp trailers, which is what they give you if you are not using for commercial, huge difference in reg cost.

JB

Im not sure. If you are hauling safely and not hauling anything ridiculous Id say you will be fine. My old trailer which is registered at 9990 and is a 14K, I have hauled skid loaders, lifts, mini hoes, etc. and have not been pulled over.

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #44  
I don't think an officer or the DOT can issue tickets based on the axle rating. My snow machine trailer has a 3500 lb axle, but the rest of the tailed isn't built heavy enough. Just because the axles are 14k, doesn't mean the rest is built for 14k, therefore giving you a valid arguing point in court. I think they could only go by the tag. Maybe I read wrong, but they go by gcvw, or gross combined vehicle weight. Therefore if truck, trailer, and payload are under 26,001 lbs, they cannot do anything, if everything is rated for the amount of weight that is loaded. Maybe I need to go back and re-read...

Last edited:
   / Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #45  
This would be the proper way to do it. Just pulling the tag off of it and declaring it a home built is asking for trouble.

but not defacto illegal.. at least in florida... remember.. every state is different.

In fl.. if you can't produce a COO.. you go the homebuilt route, weight it, and tag it .

soundguy

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #46  
Sterff said:
Here is the chart for the registration fees. If your trailer is over 10K it needs to be combined. So since my truck is 8800 GVW and the trailer is 14000 GVW I would need a class 8 registration sticker for my truck (21,001-26000 GVW). In PA big rigs have the class 25 sticker. I think the whole thing is confusing...

Glad again I live in Indiana...

Chris

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #47  
in Maine--$14 for a trailer reg. No matter what the rating. $14 for my utility trailer. $14 for my 48ft milk trailer that i gross 100,000 lbs of weight. Nobody asks for a GVWR on trailers. But when you register power unit you pay the dollars for more weight.

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #48  
in Maine--$14 for a trailer reg. No matter what the rating. $14 for my utility trailer. $14 for my 48ft milk trailer that i gross 100,000 lbs of weight. Nobody asks for a GVWR on trailers. But when you register power unit you pay the dollars for more weight.

I do notice a lot of semi trailers with Maine tags on them around here in N.J., now I know why.

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #49  
Would be curious what the coupler is rated at, don't forget everything has to be rated, tires, springs, wheels, even the U-bolts and shackles. of course that means the frame.

JB

I never figured out the whole coupler rating thing. I have a couple of trailers, and the two that I bought factory made have 5000# 2" couplers on them. The one is fine, as it has 1 3500# axle and no brakes. The other one, 16' however, has 2 3500#axles with brakes on both, double 4"x4"x1/4" angle for the frame, and is rated at 7000#. Seems to be missing 2000# somewhere in their math somewhere.
I built a 20' hydraulic tilt bed trailer with 2 5000# brake axles, Double 4"X3/8" c-channel, and a 10,000# 2-5/16 coupler-see it all adds up

/ Can you "up-rate" a new trailer from 9,990# to 14k#? #50  
I never figured out the whole coupler rating thing. I have a couple of trailers, and the two that I bought factory made have 5000# 2" couplers on them. The one is fine, as it has 1 3500# axle and no brakes. The other one, 16' however, has 2 3500#axles with brakes on both, double 4"x4"x1/4" angle for the frame, and is rated at 7000#. Seems to be missing 2000# somewhere in their math somewhere.
I built a 20' hydraulic tilt bed trailer with 2 5000# brake axles, Double 4"X3/8" c-channel, and a 10,000# 2-5/16 coupler-see it all adds up

I agree, but not sure.

JB