Flip trailer upside down?

/ Flip trailer upside down? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My neighbor surprised me by asking if I could use my bucket loader to flip his 2000 lb trailer on it's side or upside down so he could weld some of the spots he didn't fully weld when he first built the trailer. Oh, it looks plenty good as is but that's what he asked.
This didn't sound like a good idea at first but now I wonder if he is on to something. It would be easier to work on and it would be easy to flip--I think. I have seen comments on this before but can't recall the conversation and the topic is hard to search. Any thoughts on this being a really good or really bad idea?

/ Flip trailer upside down? #2  
sixdogs said:
My neighbor surprised me by asking if I could use my bucket loader to flip his 2000 lb trailer on it's side or upside down so he could weld some of the spots he didn't fully weld when he first built the trailer. Oh, it looks plenty good as is but that's what he asked.
This didn't sound like a good idea at first but now I wonder if he is on to something. It would be easier to work on and it would be easy to flip--I think. I have seen comments on this before but can't recall the conversation and the topic is hard to search. Any thoughts on this being a really good or really bad idea?

That's not uncommon at all. I've seen 18wheeler log trailers and lowboy's done that way so welders don't have to endure being covered in welder's flak.

Last edited:
   / Flip trailer upside down? #3  
Yeah. sometimes you have to flip things over when possible to weld. As long as it's sturdy enough to flip, your tractor can handle the weight and you can do it safely then there isn't an issue. Just stand clear and use guide ropes or long poles to position it when flipping so you can stay out of the way when doing i.

I've done this on everything from fork lifts to trailers. Just be safe.

/ Flip trailer upside down? #4  
Indeed. Quite common to fab a trailer upside down then flip over to put on the deck, ramps, jack and hitch.

/ Flip trailer upside down? #5  
I have made lots of trailer and flat beds for trucks big and small. We always started with it up side down and then fliped it over to finesh. Thats just how i was taught to do it 15 years ago when I started working in a welding shop. I also thought it was odd at first but it is alot faster that way.

/ Flip trailer upside down?
I have made lots of trailer and flat beds for trucks big and small. We always started with it up side down and then fliped it over to finesh. Thats just how i was taught to do it 15 years ago when I started working in a welding shop. I also thought it was odd at first but it is alot faster that way.

But this is after-the-fact and it's already built. Seems like no problem to flip over if I am reasonably careful. The fenders look pretty strong so I think I'm just going to flip on it's side. Seems like I'm the last to know this is how life works for trailers.

/ Flip trailer upside down? #7  
I have done it before using a skid steer and couple of chains. It was an flatbed, over the tire trailer so i didn't worrry about fenders and I took the ramps off. I layed down several tires to catch the side rails and then picked up the side of the trailer with the loader. After the tipping point the chains allowed me to let it down easy. The trailer will try to slide back toward the lifting machine. Welded all places where metal crossed, primed, painted and wired trailer. Thought it was much easier than crawling underneath.

/ Flip trailer upside down?
I have done it before using a skid steer and couple of chains. It was an flatbed, over the tire trailer so i didn't worrry about fenders and I took the ramps off. I layed down several tires to catch the side rails and then picked up the side of the trailer with the loader. After the tipping point the chains allowed me to let it down easy. The trailer will try to slide back toward the lifting machine. Welded all places where metal crossed, primed, painted and wired trailer. Thought it was much easier than crawling underneath.

That is exactly my plan. His fenders look pretty rugged but I plan to use chains to reach over and tip trailer it's on side with the trailer wheels resting on junk tires.
If he wants it flipped upside down we'll have to scrounge more tires to put under it. I feel much better that this is the way to go.

/ Flip trailer upside down? #9  
I've flipped my 18' car trailer on its side twice, once for re-painting and a second time for rustproofing with Fluid Film...sure beats crawling around under it.
I did not use my tractor as my little BX wouldn't do the job, I strapped a chain hoist 20ft up a tree and pulled it up on edge with that.