Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #31  
bosshoss said:
Since GM went to a 6-speed trans. they have 3.08 and 3.42 instead of 3.73 and 4.10. Here is a chart I posted a few months ago. Don't let the low numbers
(3.08 and 3.42) fool you.

Trans ratio gearing--4 speed----------6 speed
1st gear--------------3.06--------------4.03
2nd gear-------------1.63--------------2.36
3rd gear--------------1.00--------------1.53
4th gear---------------.70---------------1.15
5th gear-----------------------------------.85
6th gear-----------------------------------.67

Overall gear ratio - trans X rear=overall ratio

-------------------- 4 speed w/3.73-----------6 speed w/ 3.08
1st gear-----------------11.4-----------------------12.4
2nd gear-----------------6.1-------------------------7.26
3rd gear------------------3.7-------------------------4.7
4th gear------------------2.6-------------------------3.5
5th gear-----------------------------------------------2.6
6th gear-----------------------------------------------2.0

I guess it depends on what all you want to do with the truck but it looks like 6 speed with 3.08 would be better than 4 speed with 3.73 for towing.

Yes, but the limits are still lower. You put a lot more stress on the drive shaft an U-joints.

Chris

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #32  
Yes, but the limits are still lower. You put a lot more stress on the drive shaft an U-joints.

Chris

It certainly doesn't seem that way when towing. My 3:42's with a 6 speed out pulls my 3:73's with a 4 speed..Yes I have a 100 more HP but if that can't get to the ground, it does no good.

I feel no extra stresses on the drivetrain, maybe even less than my previous GM's..Seat of the pants observation.

Last edited:
   / Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #33  
i've never towed a TT with my wifes 2000 1/2t yukon xl, but have towed a couple enclosed 16' trailers loaded, and a flatbed car hauler loaded. I will say this.. and keep in mind I'm NOT a fan of gm vehicles at this point .. it towed better than my 98 dodge ram 1500.. and I really liked that ram... just needed something with more tow capacity.. so got a ford dually.. etc.

I'd get a good anti sway hitch, and as for airbags.. they make a WORLD of difference. I have 1 truck without, and one with.. the one with towes better... feels better anyway..

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #34  

It does not take a crew cab dually diesel to tow though.

..... But if you do not need a 1 ton dually diesel, then why have one for occasional towing? ..

but it's kinda nice to see the neighbor jump a lil bit as he walks out for his paper in the morning about the time you fire up a big diesel.. at least that what happens when i crank my 7.3psd when the neighbor is heading out in the morning :) I figure I'm helping him with his cardio.. :)

soundguy

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer.
It certainly doesn't seem that way when towing. My 3:42's with a 6 speed out pulls my 3:73's with a 4 speed..Yes I have a 100 more HP but if that can't get to the ground, it does no good.

I feel no extra stresses on the drivetrain, maybe even less than my previous GM's..Seat of the pants observation.

I found out some great news tonight at work. I can get a Tahoe with a 6.2L. It's only offered on LTZ models. This option was started in 09 (I left Arlington Assembly in 08) along w the six speed. Looks like the wife might be getting the same running gear as your truck. I'll have to see the price tag first.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #36  
I found out some great news tonight at work. I can get a Tahoe with a 6.2L. It's only offered on LTZ models. This option was started in 09 (I left Arlington Assembly in 08) along w the six speed. Looks like the wife might be getting the same running gear as your truck. I'll have to see the price tag first.

I was looking at those..NICE!!!!...I did get spooked by the price. Perhaps you can order one and keep the lid on. Every one of them I looked at was decked to the hilt.

The wife ended up wanting an H3 over a Tahoe/Yukon for reasons I still don't understand, but she's happy....Until it comes time to replace it then it'll be (somewhat) my way because she won't have a Hummer in the mix.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer.
Took the wife to look at Tahoe's today. She was very let down with the room behind the 3rd row. Looks like we'll be looking at Suburban's.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #38  
Yup! Thats really the only reason we are changing ours.

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #39  
Took the wife to look at Tahoe's today. She was very let down with the room behind the 3rd row. Looks like we'll be looking at Suburban's.
Yea, its just not there. While looking at the Suburban you should look at the Expedition EL. My sister has a 2010 in pearl white with 20" wheels, man is it beautiful and does good with the 5.4. I was just in it yesterday going to the Super Bowl stuff down the road about 15 miles from her house. She says it averages 16mpg. It has tons of room.

Chris

/ Tahoe/Yukon for pulling a 25ft travel trailer. #40  
Yea, its just not there. While looking at the Suburban you should look at the Expedition EL. My sister has a 2010 in pearl white with 20" wheels, man is it beautiful and does good with the 5.4. I was just in it yesterday going to the Super Bowl stuff down the road about 15 miles from her house. She says it averages 16mpg. It has tons of room.

Chris

Another Agent from one of the downstate groups has a sweet Expedition EL and it's definitely a nice enough rig that I'd consider owning one. However, I'd be willing to bet that since the OP works for GM that it would be hard to buy an Expedition EL, which is so comparable to a Suburban, when he can probably get a hefty discount on a Suburban.