Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer.

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #1  

Reg

Elite Member
This has probably been addressed before, but I'm probably not the only one to have noticed that trailers used for hauling tractors often get a couple of the boards really beaten up, resulting in sag.

OK, leaving aside "you get what you pay for" and "quality ain't what it used to was"...
Do any of you place, say a 2x12 across the trailer under the rear wheels to distribute the point load across a few more boards ?
I can't believe that everyone is fortunate enough to have a substantial steel cross member right under where their tractor's rear axle is, though doubtless some do.

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #2  
Never had too and I have moved about everything with wheels. I could see having to do it with a piece of junk trailer.

Chris

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #3  
This has probably been addressed before, but I'm probably not the only one to have noticed that trailers used for hauling tractors often get a couple of the boards really beaten up, resulting in sag.

OK, leaving aside "you get what you pay for" and "quality ain't what it used to was"...
Do any of you place, say a 2x12 across the trailer under the rear wheels to distribute the point load across a few more boards ?
I can't believe that everyone is fortunate enough to have a substantial steel cross member right under where their tractor's rear axle is, though doubtless some do.

I did something similar to spread the load on my 2004 Isuzu NPR/EFI 8x14 ft stakebed using a few sheets of 3/4" thick plywood and some deck screws.

Isuzu plywood-1 (Small).JPGIsuzu plywood-2 (Small).JPG

The NPR is for hauling my small parade tractors (about 3500 lb max).

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #4  
I place a 2x5 piece of plywood under my tiller but that is just to keep from denting the aluminum floor on my Aluma trailer.

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #5  
any of you place, say a 2x12 across the trailer under the rear wheels to distribute the point load across a few more boards ?

Sure, its done everyday on all kids of flatbeds, just look the 18 wheeler flatbeds going down the highway, they will have stripping under most loads.Granted it helps when loading/unloading with forklifts too, also helps on weight distribution across the deck of the trailer.For say like hauling a 40,000 lb reel of wire rope, has a foot print less than a foot wide and 2-3' long, no trailer deck would stand up to that very long.
I do use stripping(4x4's,2x12'-depending on the load) all the time on my personal use bumper pulls, saves stress on the trailer and its safer for a load thats has alot of weight concentrated in a small foot print. Granted you have to consider your crossmembers strength and location,load location etc. I have never done this for my tractor, dont need to for my trailer/tractor combo I have now. I would if the situation warranted.

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #6  
Shouldn't need to for a tractor unless you have very lightly constructed trailer. The boards are there to spread to a couple of cross members already.

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #7  
The Boards are not placed across the trailer. They go length wise. A set for each side. They are supposed to add a little support and also protect main deck from damage.:thumbsup:

It's a very common practice.:)

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer.
Shouldn't need to for a tractor unless you have very lightly constructed trailer. The boards are there to spread to a couple of cross members already.

Yes, they do that ALONG the trailer, but wheeled vehicles represent 4 point loads and the back end of even a small tractor with a hoe on it and loaded tires puts a couple or three tons on very few boards.
Worst case may be 2 boards per rear tire, so spreading it to a few more just makes a bit of sense.
My little trailer can take what I put on it, but I have seen trailers with noticeable sag in the boards at just about the place where the rear wheels go.

How much of that is due to improper use is open to speculation,
I would EXPECT some sag if a tractor were left on the trailer for several months with alternate rain and dry cycles.
Wood DOES take on semi permanent bend if kept under enough force for long enough, especially when wet/dry cycles are involved.

I have no doubt that SOME folk leave a tractor on a trailer for long periods of time, so much easier to not unload it if we're going back next week-end (-:
Then something else crops up and next week-end becomes next month.

I'm not saying this is NECESSARY for the occasional 2 mile trip across town, but it may be desirable with loaded Ag tires (narrowest) and a hoe.
Especially if it is a tractor that gets hauled back and forth regularly and is left on the trailer for more than a day.

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #9  
Never had too and I have moved about everything with wheels. I could see having to do it with a piece of junk trailer.
g.php

/ Weight distribution ACROSS the trailer. #10  
When I used to haul my father's roller (7500lb, double drum articulated vibartory Cat) to sites, I noticed that the inner 3 planks would bend slightly once loaded on our small equipment trailer. The perfect load position was with the drums placed right between cross members. Nobody else ever seemed concerned, but I would place 4'x6' sheets of plywood under the drums as a precaution. I never measured a difference in bending, but it seemed to help. The plywood would also make loading and unloading easier on the ramps.

BTW - I replaced the decking twice on that trailer, and it would happen that same with new or aged decking. I think its due for it again.