Ford F150 5.0 vs eco...

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #11  
I agree, the 3.7 feels underpowered. But the 5.0 isn't that much better in my opinion. If not towing or carrying heavy loads, I'd get the 3.7 -- it's fine for running around with a light load. Otherwise 5.0. Be sure to spec out the gearing properly in either case, as it can have a big effect on performance and economy (in opposite ways).

The Eco-boost is noticeably torqueier and peppier than the 5.0, but still feels like it's propelling a battleship to me. I'd buy it mainly for the fuel economy benefits, keeping in mind that they taper off if you push the engine hard.

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #12  
The 5.0 feels underpowered???? I have the 5.0 with 3.73 posi rear and can spin all 4 tires in 4wd drive on dry pavement!

I've towed 6,000lbs at 70-80 mph in overdrive without the truck hunting for gears all the time.

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #13  
This isn't the same 5.0l from the early Mustangs. The only thing it shares is the displacement.
This engine is completely new and with power very close to the 365hp/425lb.ft. Twin Turbo V6, I doubt it feels "underpowered". 360hp/380lb.ft in a normally aspirated V8 5.0 liter is impressive!

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco...
I drove the 5.0 again yesterday and the dealer had me step on it pretty hard, it goes pretty good, no compaints in that dept. I can see where in a drag race the 5.0 and eco would be close. I can also see that the eco makes larger torque at a lower rpm, thus it's advantage for towing.

In my case this truck would not be required for heavy towing, as I stated I still have the Dmax for those chores, so the 5.0 makes more sense in my case plus I like the simplicity and less complicated design. MUCH less to go wrong and FAR easier to work on when it does.

Anyone know if the these engines have the same design as far as spark plugs and exhaust manifolds are concerned? There were certainly issues with the previous engines in those areas.

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #15  
Storm56 said:
Anyone know if the these engines have the same design as far as spark plugs and exhaust manifolds are concerned? There were certainly issues with the previous engines in those areas.
I highly doubt this new engine will have the same spark plug and manifold problems but they also said they fixed the problem for the 3-valve V8 design but those were flawed too. I'm sure they learned but I still wouldn't buy a Ford-built engine without at least a good 3-5 year problem-free run.
The biggest worry about this engine in my eyes is the "Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing" which allows the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to control the opening and closing of the intake/exhaust valves independently. One faulty signal from that computer (which can go) and those valves could meet a piston at 5k plus rpms.
I have not heard yet if this if an "interference" or "non-interference" head design.

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #16  
I'm not familiar with the ford design, but if it's anything like Toyota's variable cam timing, there just isn't enough cam timing advance capability to allow piston/valve interference

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #17  
I think the 5.0 is better suited to you also since you have a Dmax.

Most important decision to me is gearing on any brand of truck. A good gear choice will do wonders and a bad gear choice will make the best motor look like a pig.

Chris

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco...
I am thinking 3.55 as a compromise between mileage and towing. I drove both the 3.55 and 3.73, the 3.73 had a little more go but the 3.55 was by no means dead.

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #19  
It sounds like a good medium, just stay away from the 3.31's.

/ Ford F150 5.0 vs eco... #20  
That king ranch package is awesome! If that 5.0 is anything like the used to put in the mustangs, buy it!!! You're likely to get a lot better deal on a 5.0 then an Eco boost.

if your refering to pre -95 mustang 5.0 (302) dating back to sixties than no. Those were push rod engines. All these new ford 5.0's are over head cam.