trailer brakes frozen

/ trailer brakes frozen #11  
Sorry I didn't get back with an explanation, stuff came up. I've had this happen a few times over the years, including when I left a spring off when I was a kid. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The reason it's so hard to explain is that I can't really explain it, they come in with the problem, you pull the drum after one he11 of a fight and junk falls out. I just hate answering "why" with " just because". /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ trailer brakes frozen #12  
Corrosion from salting roads - try a trailer used for boat launching in salt water (dozen times a year). I got by for 8 years, until this afternoon, by hosing the trailer after use, and yearly pulling the drums, spraying everything, letting it dry and then lubing everything expect the pads and drums with WD-40 or grease, and reapplying the "buddy bearings". I ran the engine of the boat and recharged the battery every month or so this winter, but did not move it on the trailer until this afternoon - one wheel was locked up and the other making major noise. Just what I wanted to do - jack the trailer, remove the tires, pull the bearings, pry off the drums, remove the rusted pads, and put everything back together so I could trailer the boat to a launch site tomorrow (pick-up can handle the boat/trailer, with or without trailer brakes) - and just because my teenagers decided they "absolutely needed" to waterski tomorrow.
Took awhile to clean up enough for my wife to let me into the house, and a beer.
Those of you around inland lakes, pity us who have to deal with salt water, and teenagers.