What is a good small 4x4 pickup?

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #21  
I would like to own a Tacoma some day. They seem like great trucks (at least on paper). As far as the mileage...they seem to get good MPGs...for a truck that is...lets face it, just because it's a Toyota, doesn't mean it's a Prius...:D

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #22  
the new ford f-150 with the new v-8 does better than any mid size truck on the planet and has more power than government motors does, the Toyota would be the second choice. But wait because next year will bring new Hybrid trucks to Ford, Nissan, Toyota and Mazda.

Not sure about that..My '11 GMC has 404hp...

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #23  
I'm not sure why every one is down on the colorado/canyon. I've got one from 2005 cc 4x4 5cyl. It's a damned good little truck. While i have to agree about mileage difference between a full and mid sized not being much, I'm hard pressed not to get at least 20mpg on a bad day. One of the advantages is that I don't have to drive a F350 through town. An F150 appears to be almost the same physical size, and I hate navigating my FIL's F150 around a parking lot or in traffic. Disadvantage is that it's not going to pull a really big trailer.

I'm thinking i'd like to pick up an isuzu npr and put a short flat bed on it. Use that as my big truck for doing work.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #24  
I'm not sure why every one is down on the colorado/canyon. I've got one from 2005 cc 4x4 5cyl. It's a damned good little truck. While i have to agree about mileage difference between a full and mid sized not being much, I'm hard pressed not to get at least 20mpg on a bad day. One of the advantages is that I don't have to drive a F350 through town. An F150 appears to be almost the same physical size, and I hate navigating my FIL's F150 around a parking lot or in traffic. Disadvantage is that it's not going to pull a really big trailer.

I'm thinking i'd like to pick up an isuzu npr and put a short flat bed on it. Use that as my big truck for doing work.

I agree..A friend of mine has a Colorado and he beats that thing senseless..No problems in 4 or so years.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #25  
Another good choice is a late model F-150 with a 3 valve 4.6 They have plenty of power, can tow, and get 20 mpg.

Chris

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #26  
You may know that I am actively looking for a F-350 4 door 4x4 7.3psd (My target is a 2002) so I can pull my horses and pull my tractor.
I know your thread is asking for opinions on your small truck, but I saw this 2002 F350 7.3 ext 4x4 with 129k on the Louisville Craigslist for $13.5k. I know it is not real close to you but it might be what you want. Ford F-350 Powerstroke

Honestly tempted to go look at it myself but I am still undecided on if I am getting a bigger truck right now or waiting until later this year.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #27  
I just did the opposite of what you are thinking. I traded a 2001 dodge Dakota 4.7 liter 3.92 rear end 2wd in on a new f150 3.5 liter ecoboost crew 3.73 rear end 2wd. I had excellent service from the Dakota but the gas mileage was terrible.
I do miss the ease of parking and maneuvering. You mentioned kids and mine appreciate the new large space.

I track mileage with a phone app. Attached are screen shots showing differences with mostly city driving. I get about 3mpg better with the full sized truck for similar driving.

Attachments

• image-1297448668.jpg
    image-1297448668.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 196
  • image-3759131501.jpg
    image-3759131501.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 187
   / What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #28  
EddieWalker said:
I've been thinking of doing something similar. Most of my jobs can be done from a small truck, and I would use the bigger when I need it.

Eddie - For what you're doing, what about that Ford Transit Connect? They get good reviews and city/highway mileage is 22/27.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #29  
The best small 4x4 truck I ever owned was a GMC Sonoma extended cab "High Rider" (ZR-2). This was the last year for these. They were replaced by the Colorado and Canyon.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup?
I know your thread is asking for opinions on your small truck, but I saw this 2002 F350 7.3 ext 4x4 with 129k on the Louisville Craigslist for $13.5k. I know it is not real close to you but it might be what you want. Ford F-350 Powerstroke

Honestly tempted to go look at it myself but I am still undecided on if I am getting a bigger truck right now or waiting until later this year.

Jeff,
If that was a crew cab I might be on a road trip soon...
Thanks for the heads up.

David