What is a good small 4x4 pickup?

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
OK, I currently have a VERY clean 2001 F-150 4-door 2wd Triton gasser with ~105k miles. Good truck, but

You may know that I am actively looking for a F-350 4 door 4x4 7.3psd (My target is a 2002) so I can pull my horses and pull my tractor.

The other thing you need to know is that my "customer" is approx 65 miles one way into DC area, and I'm up there 3-4 days a week.

I NEED a truck much of the time commuting as I pick up feed and supplies as I pass town on my way home. Therefore I'm looking at a TWO TRUCK strategy.

I am curious who makes the BEST small pickup. I want good gas mileage, and good relaibility. Must be 4x4, would be nice if I can get 4 door also so I can haul the kids. I want to buy USED and get a better deal.

So... Is it the Toyota Tacoma? (what years are best?) is it the Nissan Frontier? Who makes the best small 4x4 pickup?

Thanks in advance,
Be well,
David

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #2  
Toyota Tacoma all the way, problem is they hold their value. The Frontier would be cheaper and i havent heard anything bad about them so tough to make a bad decision. I'd stay away from the GM Canyon, not much good about that truck. I wish Ford had made a 4 door Ranger. The Dakota will be larger than the others but also has capacities near that of your F150.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2012/01/2012-midsize-shootout-results.html

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #3  
Went through a similar dilemma back in 2003. I needed a 4 x4 four door crew cab, but did not want a full size pick up at the time because of the gas mileage....and initial cost. Having had a Toyota truck before, I was leaning towards that. Problem was, at the time they only offered the crew cab with a short bed and I needed a 6 ft bed. The Frontier had a bit roomier back seat and the 6 ft bed so I ultimately went that route. It also has a roof rack that the Toyota did not have. Very convenient for when I haul my canoe, kayaks, or a ladder. I've been very pleased with the truck overall. It has 107k miles on it now and still running strong. I use it for hauling firewood, feed, etc... and it has room enough for the kids too (not in with the firewood and feed of course :laughing:).

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #4  
toyota tacoma, i have a 2011 4x4 4cylinder very happy with it i get 20mpg avarage.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #5  
Tacoma, Ranger, Mazda....

Chris

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #6  
. . . I am curious who makes the BEST small pickup. I want good gas mileage, and good relaibility. Must be 4x4, would be nice if I can get 4 door also so I can haul the kids. I want to buy USED and get a better deal.

So... Is it the Toyota Tacoma? (what years are best?) is it the Nissan Frontier? Who makes the best small 4x4 pickup? . . .

:laughing: That's funny!
Good MPG and 4x4? Crew cab and "better deal?" (those are mutually exclusive terms) You ought to be a comedian! :D

Sorry David. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on you. (but it was fun, and you're easy) :p

OK, I'll be serious now.
Reality check: CC 4x4 trucks are not cheap and they don't get good gas mileage. We have a '97 Tacoma ext cab, 4x4, 2.7 Liter 4 cyl, 5 speed, 31x10.50-15 tires. It averages about 15 mpg. It's as tough as a "hickory-nut," but I wouldn't want to commute 130 miles per day in it. :eek:

The Nissan is also a good truck, but won't do a whole lot better on fuel mileage.

My suggestion?
Keep your F-150. You know what you have, and you said it's a good truck. :thumbsup: I would imagine that it's long since paid for. You know what kind of fuel mileage to expect and you have a good idea of what your maintenance will be. It has everything you want except the 4wd, and you can live without that. (evidently, because you have lived without it for the last 11 years)

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #7  
I've driven compact and mid-sized pickups a lot over the past 35 years. Maybe owned 6 or 7 of them? All brands.

The current, modern choices won't save you much fuel. The v-6, larger cabs and 4x4 in these mid-sized trucks are pretty thirsty, in the real world. (no genuine compacts left anymore).

Dave, you say you want good gas mileage. THAT is very hard to come by in these mid-sized units.

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup?
My suggestion?
Keep your F-150. You know what you have, and you said it's a good truck. :thumbsup: I would imagine that it's long since paid for. You know what kind of fuel mileage to expect and you have a good idea of what your maintenance will be. It has everything you want except the 4wd, and you can live without that. (evidently, because you have lived without it for the last 11 years)

BF62,

Yes I am a funny dude, so are you sir!

My truck is a good truck, BUT since I moved here 11 months ago it has almost got stuck in THE DRIVEWAY a few times. In the snow I simply CANNOT climb the driveway, too steep. In the mud lately I cannot get out of the spot I park it in without making serious mess.

On my commute, which is part freeway, part urban hi-way, part rural, I can get almost 17mpg, but around town and farm, 12 is about as good as it gets.

Yes, it is paid for :thumbsup:

David

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup?
Tacoma, Ranger, Mazda....

Chris

Chris,

I've been thinking about getting an OLD beater Ranger for "farm use" and converting it to my daughter's truck in two years when she is driving age.

I recently learned from a mechanic to stay away from the 4 cyclinders due to they do NOT get good mileage.

Which years/models/engines are best?

Mazda is the same truck also, right?

Thanks,
David

/ What is a good small 4x4 pickup? #10  
:laughing: That's funny!
Good MPG and 4x4? Crew cab and "better deal?" (those are mutually exclusive terms) You ought to be a comedian! :D

Sorry David. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on you. (but it was fun, and you're easy) :p

OK, I'll be serious now.
Reality check: CC 4x4 trucks are not cheap and they don't get good gas mileage. We have a '97 Tacoma ext cab, 4x4, 2.7 Liter 4 cyl, 5 speed, 31x10.50-15 tires. It averages about 15 mpg. It's as tough as a "hickory-nut," but I wouldn't want to commute 130 miles per day in it. :eek:

The Nissan is also a good truck, but won't do a whole lot better on fuel mileage.

My suggestion?
i second bigfoots statement i was helping my brother find a pickup last fall the thing here is full size pickups get as good or better mpg than small ones my exprience the toyota is by far the toughest mid size truck if you are satisfied with 19 mpg some full size trucks are rated up to 24 mpg