adding sides to a trailer?

/ adding sides to a trailer? #1  

Low Bucket

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB-John Deere X595- John Deere ATV
Has anyone added wooden sides to a trailer?- If so, does anyone have any pictures?- I tried doing a search and didn't get any results.

I have a 20' PJ equipment trailer and I'd like to add some sides so I can haul brush and mulch.- Maybe haul a couple loads of horse manure for the garden.:)

I've thought about using PT decking boards for the sides, or use PT plywood and make them about 2' high.- I'd like to fix them so they would be easy to remove.- And I would probably have to fix a stake pocket behind the fenders because its a long stretch in between the stake pockets on the trailer frame?

Paul

/ adding sides to a trailer? #2  
Search this site. There was just a thread a few months back called "show us your sides" or something similar. Lots of food ideas.

Chris

/ adding sides to a trailer? #4  
I've been through a handful of trailers as I've gradually upgraded to the trailer I have now. I think all of my trailers have had sides of some kind, and I've always taken the sides off and tossed them. I don't have a use for them. Sorry, no pictures.

Everything I had was pretty simple. The uprights were 2X4's notched to fit the stake pockets. The horizontal boards were usually wider. Some were 1" thick, some were 2". Most had some kind of hook and eye system connecting the front to the sides. The simplest was a few sets of gate hinges bolted in the right places on the front and on the sides so that they interlocked.

/ adding sides to a trailer? #5  
I don't have pictures, but I've done it to a couple trailers. If there's a small metal side already it makes it easier. What I did was just take some measurements for the box and then went to lowe's and had them cut big pieces of 1/2" plywood to the right sizes. I then just bolted them to the trailer frame to create the box and re-enforced the front corners with a 2x4 on the inside of the corner. So far the boxes have worked really well and have stood up to gravel, mulch and other stuff. I would recommend using pressure treated wood as it'll last longer, especially if its stored outside or you haul wet material (i.e. loam).

/ adding sides to a trailer? #6  
I put 1/2" plywood sides on my 4x8 trailer many years ago, and remarkably they are still in great shape (gray from weather, but not rotten or delaminated at all). It really made a difference on such a small trailer.

I was going to put sides on my new 7x16 trailer, but have gotten a few loads of mulch and rock and found that the trailer is big enough that typical sized loads don't spill over. At least in the case of rock, I'd be overloading my tow vehicle before the load would spill over the sides of the trailer. So I will probably hold off on sides for now. Having open rails does make it easier to tie down (and un-tie) my tractor, since I have better access to the tie-down rings on the side and can reach straps and chain binders easier.

/ adding sides to a trailer? #7  
I seen a trailer recently that was using a panel from an insulated steel garage door for the side boards. It looked pretty good.

/ adding sides to a trailer? #8  
I use my 16' to haul firewood & sawdust mulch a lot. Sides are 3 treated 1x6's with an angle iron on the top edge to protect the wood. Sides are in two pieces (7' & 9') to make them easier to handle, using metal corners & center couplers from Northern. The back endgate can be moved to the center, boxing in the front 7'. The endgate has 3/8 steel pins on the bottom to hold it in place, along with a ratchet strap when used at the center. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM0895 - Copy.JPG
    HPIM0895 - Copy.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 2,414
   / adding sides to a trailer? #9  
Has anyone added wooden sides to a trailer?- If so, does anyone have any pictures?
Paul
Paul,
Here's a picture of our trailer. We made trailer sides using scraps of 2Xs and OSB (not even plywood). It looks Jethro Bodine style but works great and didn't cost us anything for the materials. We didn't paint or do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if these junk sides last for 10 years.

Adding the sides to the trailer really increased the functionality. Until we added the sides, hauling stuff other than the tractor was much harder.

Obed

Attachments

• 2011-09-17_11-17-59_789 (Small).jpg
    2011-09-17_11-17-59_789 (Small).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10,309
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,719
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 3,387