Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122 #1  

jonnyc1999

Silver Member
Tractor
Craftsman GT5000
Hi everyone, I'm hoping that someone here with more experience than me will be able to answer my question. The short of it is, will a 6x10 dump trailer be able to haul my ct122/ ck20 with FEL and box blade to my buddy's house 35 miles away and back?

The plan is to bring my tractor to his house, then take a few trips to the sand and gravel pit for driveway gravel for him, and a few to my house for mulch. Then I'll grade his driveway and head home with my tractor.

The local rental places all have a 6x10 dump trailer for daily rental. I'd like the dump feature so I don't have to hand shovel any of the mulch. I know that a 16 ft. landscaping trailer would be better to tow the tractor, but getting the tractor there is only a small part of this weeks project. Does anyone see a problem with squeezing my CT122 into a 6x10 if I lift the loader over the front lip of the bed?

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122 #2  
In my state its illegal to tow with the loader in the air. That alone plus having enough room to move the load to balance and properly secure it. Its really a job for two pieces of equipment.

Chris

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122
Hmmmm, interesting. Would it be considered "in the air" if the loader bucket it resting and secured on the front sill?

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122 #4  
You might get a skidsteer in that size trailer, but a small tractor? Yours is about the size of my old Kubota; I wouldn't do that... Where would you chain it down?

Even though an additional expense, I would look at two trailers; one for mulch and one for tractor. Or else get your materials delivered.

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122 #5  
Getting the weight balance right would be the issue in my mind. Don't know if you can drive on & have it balance, with the bucket to the front, the heavy rear weight to the rear. Negative tongue weight is a disater in the making, please be real careful of that. I

t will reach out & bite you. Ytmag.com someone just posted a pic of a big tandem trailer with a heavy tractor on the rear, a light framework of a tractor on the front, everything crumpled up on it's side in the ditch. I'd link to it, but he said he was sorry he didn't have permission to post the pics and wanted them removed. Anyhow, you don't want to end up looking like that, pickup rolled & crumpled, trailer on it's side with the load well chained but also crumpled. Negative tongue weight is bad..... You need to be able to balance the lod, move the skid steer to the right place, not just 'fit it in'.

--->Paul

The main thing is that I'm doing a favor for a buddy by bringing my tractor over to fix up his driveway. He's being a real tightwad over everything (doesn't want gravel delivered, didn't want to spend more than $50 on a trailer rental, hasn't even considered my gas/diesel/wear and tear on equipment), but I offered to pay for half the trailer cost if we could pick up some mulch for my house at the same time. Neither one of us is really willing to pay for two trailers(I don't REALLY want to pay for one, ya know?), nor is it feasible towing two trailers with one truck. I guess I'll have to figure something else out.... thanks for your insights.

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122 #7  
If your buddy is that cheap stay away. He will find something to complain about and try to get you to pay up like saying you tore up his yard or something.

I have tons of friends but do nothing for free anymore. I have learned the hard way. I charge $60 per hour for my tractor or trade time. You help me I help you kind of thing.

As for the bucket on the front lip of the trailer another issue is turning. You turn to sharp and you can put the bucket edge in the back corner of your tow rig.

Walk away from this situation. Its a can of worms waiting to be dumped in your lap. Nice of you trying to help though.

Chris

/ Smallest trailer to tow my bobcat ct122 #8  
I'd say sorry, like to help, but no.

To rent a tractor like yours around here is about $200-250/day.... Not counting fuel. Or going to/from rental shop to pick it up.

I help friends out(and vice versa). But, consider this when you do... You have to go pick up the trailer, go get the tractor, then go get material, then move then tractor again. That is a lot of time loading, chaining, un chaining, etc... You're gonna need a trailer for more than a day no matter what type you get.

Daimondpilot is right on this one...

Well, after talking with my buddy, I convinced him to get gravel delivered. I'm still going to help him out by installing timber edging before the gravel gets delivered, but the tractor work is out. Whatever spreading of gravel that we need to do will be done by hand. I wish I could get my tractor over there so I can play errr, work, a little!!!!