Dual Axle or Single?

/ Dual Axle or Single? #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
All other factors being equal compare a single axle dually to a tandom axle single.

/ Dual Axle or Single? #2  
One cost less.

/ Dual Axle or Single? #3  
You can haul more with the tandem.

/ Dual Axle or Single? #4  
i'd go tandem any day.. either tandem singles or tandem duals.

single axle trailers are for them lil lawnmowers or small cargo trailers you pull behind something smaller than a half ton vehicle..

/ Dual Axle or Single?
Dexter 9,000lb dually axle is a bit more then a utility trailer axle. Beats two 3,500 by 3k. Come on folks, THINK!

/ Dual Axle or Single? #6  
My experience with single axle vs tandem axle is that the tandems pull better. Meaning less sway. They also follow the terrain better with an equalizer between the springs and they tend to drag less on steep driveway exits because the rear axle is closer the the rear of the trailer and the front axle is closer to the hitch, than on a single of the same length. They also have more brakes and that's good in the mountains. Some tandem trailers have brakes on only one axle, but I always put them on both.

Having extra capacity is a good thing because sooner or later you'll want to put something really heavy on it.

I guess the down side is more weight and more maintenance costs for a tandem, but to me it's worth it for anything more that a simple utility trailer.

I don't have any dual wheel single axle trailers, so I can't compare that style, but the advantages I mentioned for the tandem should still apply.

/ Dual Axle or Single?
Reason I ask is here is a possible new project. I can use the crane for lifting pre-assymbled framing. Never seen a 9k trailer with a single axle so I thought I would run it by the forum. Appreciate your comments.

24' Gooseneck Trailer

/ Dual Axle or Single? #9  
Reason I ask is here is a possible new project. I can use the crane for lifting pre-assymbled framing. Never seen a 9k trailer with a single axle so I thought I would run it by the forum. Appreciate your comments.

24' Gooseneck Trailer

The trailer will turn on its axis without scrubbing the tires. Tandems scrub the tires, in the worse case, scrubbing the tires off the rims.

/ Dual Axle or Single? #10  
The trailer will turn on its axis without scrubbing the tires. Tandems scrub the tires, in the worse case, scrubbing the tires off the rims.

With heavy loads this can be a real problem too.