7 Pin connector ...loose?

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I was trailering this past weekend and my tekonsha would blink red everytime I hit a bump and tell me the trailer was disconnected. I noticed that because of the stiff cable from the trailer that it torques itself into the female socket on the truck and makes it loose. Anyone have a fix?

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #2  
Zip tie it in or get a soft coil cable like a big phone cord. You can cut off the old and splice it in or just get one that is a extension cord and coil up the old cable and zip tie it off to the trailer frame.

Chris

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose?
I thought of a zip tie - but no real way to attach it. Any chance you have a pic of those coil cords - and where the heck do you find them?

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #4  
The door latch on the truck's receiver should have a little hook that stops the plug from pulling out or coming loose. Does yours have that?
old-style-plug-latch.jpg

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose?
Mine does not have that. :(

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #6  
If the trailer plug has the little lip, replace the trucks receiver. They are pretty cheap and easy to install.

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #7  
I had that problem when the door broke off my 7 pin connector. The day i noticed it I was in a hurry and didn't replace it. While driving down the interstate the plug came out and before I realized it I wore down the trailer connector pretty badly (it's one of the molded cable/ connector style). Replace it before you end up replacing more parts.

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #8  
   / 7 Pin connector ...loose? #9  
Field fixes I have used include take a piece of twine and loop it next to the plug as you put it in jaming the socket. Another way is loop a bungee around the cord behind the plug and the hook both ends to the truck. Those work till you can fix it properly. There should be a mechanical lock as in in the previous post. Usually if the contact posts are tight they still stay. I think you probably have worn or colapsed pins in addition to the missing lock. Sometimes you can get more tension and a better contact taking a knife or small screwdriver and spread the pins open if they are the split kind.

/ 7 Pin connector ...loose? #10  
My small trailer did a similar thing last week. I also thought my connector was getting loose, but it turned out to be a combination of that and dirt in the connector causing it to make poor contact. A few minutes with the air compressor seemed to help as I don't have to jam it in there with comic book strength to make the lights stay on now.