Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #1  

ahlkey

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 AgroPlus 87
I have been trying to find out through local dealers and online what capacity can a Ford heavy duty truck legally pull from a custom weld-on butt plate using a pintle hitch. This is the type of hitch that is welded professionally to the frame of the truck. I would like to pull a pintle hitch trailer rated at 21K so I want to very sure I get the right type of truck to pull this type of trailer.

From the manuals the conventional pull for the F350/F450 with a crew cab is 17,500 but I am not sure if I add a custom weld-on plate to the frame it would increase my capacity? As far as the F650 I have seen some pretty large pintle hitch setups on the road so it seems that would work but I can't find anywhere the ratings officially. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #2  
That is a good question, I am trying to find out teh same answer for a gooseneck. It seems to me that the DOT does not check your owners manual for towing capacity. They check the GVW tags on the truck and trailer and make sure you are not above axle weights and GVW's.
My thought was that Ford puts the rating on the truck based 3 items

1. frame strength for obvious reasons
2. brake sizing for stopping
3. engine/tranny pulling capacity based on axle ratio.

22-24K sounds like its too heavy on the rear end because you won't be able to get much weight forward to the front axle...just my opinion as a gooseneck fan.

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #3  
I have been trying to find out through local dealers and online what capacity can a Ford heavy duty truck legally pull from a custom weld-on butt plate using a pintle hitch. This is the type of hitch that is welded professionally to the frame of the truck. I would like to pull a pintle hitch trailer rated at 22K to 24K so I want to very sure I get the right type of truck to pull this type of trailer.

From the manuals the conventional pull for the F350/F450 with a crew cab is 17,500 but I am not sure if I add a custom weld-on plate to the frame it would increase my capacity? As far as the F650 I have seen some pretty large pintle hitch setups on the road so it seems that would work but I can't find anywhere the ratings officially. Any input would be appreciated.

Well, to me, anything above a 1 ton certainly has the ability to do that. However, you can not legally increase your capacity by doing a customization like your idea. I believe the F650 and F750 easily could do that. Both power/stopping and legally. With a trailer that large, you will need a Class A CDL if you plan on using this trailer behind anything commercially. But that would start a whole new thread.

Kyle

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #4  
A pintle hitch is rated the same as the "standard" tow rating. It's not because of the strength of the hitch but due to the location of the tongue weight behind the axle. A 5th wheel/gooseneck is rated higher since the tongue weight is directly over the rear axle.

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #5  
I have been trying to find out through local dealers and online what capacity can a Ford heavy duty truck legally pull from a custom weld-on butt plate using a pintle hitch. This is the type of hitch that is welded professionally to the frame of the truck. I would like to pull a pintle hitch trailer rated at 22K to 24K so I want to very sure I get the right type of truck to pull this type of trailer.

Try the Ford Fleet website and take a look at the towing guides

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2006/2006_default.asp

Good luck

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650 #6  
As Dmace said, its the hitch placement, not the strength. The reason you see dump trucks pulling these loads is the bob chassis, shortened to where the rear wheels are nearly at the back end of the frame with no overhang.

I am on a plane now and not at my desk but I have the full 2011 Ford Towing Guide sitting there. I can check it for you tomorrow. The 2011 & 2012 numbers should be the same since there is no chassis, engine, or tranny changes.

With all that said I pull 25,000# about 100 miles a year with my 06 F350 SRW 4x4 diesel. Its not legal but it does it. I have my neck sticking out a bit but the truck does it without complaint.

Chris

/ Trailer capacity on F450,F550,F650
Thanks for the responses which helps. I see a 2012 F350 regular cab diesel can pull a gooseneck trailer rated at 22.7K but the problem is the 21K pintle just can't be handled by anything less than a F650? Today I pull it with my older 2000 F650 2X4. However, the truck is getting old and I would like to go to a newer 4 X 4 truck like a F350/F450. The pintle trailer has a log loader with a 16ft boom/grapple mounted on it so getting a different trailer is also problematic. However, if getting a different gooseneck trailer and mounting the log/loader is the only reasonalbe option then that is something to consider. Ideally if I could convert this pintle hitch to a gooseneck at a reasonable price then everything would be solved as I could then go with a smaller truck but can't find anyone willing to do that conversion. Thoughts?