Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts?

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
My parents are finally reaching the stage that they NEED a new car. They drive a '95 Ford Explorer & '93 Toyota Camry. They are falling apart, literally...

They have somewhat decided...er...I kinda convinced them...to get a Toyota Tacoma. This will be a daily driver that will (hopefully) double as a BX hauler. They are at the "we'll go out to the dealer next weekend just to look" stage...but...a while back we went out "just to look" at a tractor, and ended up buying it a hour later...so you never know...

If we do go this route, we need:
Double cab, 4x4, and V6.

Can't agree on bed size or trim level. What do you think??? We don't need the "top of the line", but I like the sport package.

What about the the BX towing? What kind of trailer would you suggest? (I think there is a thread about this already)
Max towing is around 6500lbs.

So, what do you think of this truck overall???

Last edited:
   / Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #2  
I had a 2007 double cab short box with a v6 6 speed. It was a great truck. You will never kill it. I wish I had kept it. I didn't tow anything hat big. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another.

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #3  
My parents are finally reaching the stage that they NEED a new car. They drive a '95 Ford Explorer & '92 Toyota Camry. They are falling apart, literally...

They have somewhat decided...er...I kinda convinced them...to get a Toyota Tacoma. This will be a daily driver that will (hopefully) double as a BX hauler. They are at the "we'll go out to the dealer next weekend just to look" stage...but...a while back we went out "just to look" at a tractor, and ended up buying it a hour later...so you never know...

If we do go this route, we need:
Double cab, 4x4, and V6.

Can't agree on bed size or trim level. What do you think??? We don't need the "top of the line", but I like the sport package.

What about the the BX towing? What kind of trailer would you suggest? (I think there is a thread about this already)
Max towing is around 6500lbs.

So, what do you think of this truck overall???

Are they looking new? Toyota had a buyout on the first generation Tacomas due to frame rust. Some of the later ones received frame replacements also. That being said my wife has had a 2004 Double Cab since new, has had the dash lights replaced once that is only repair. Hers has passed the frame rust inspections so far, Toyota put some sort of coating on the frame last year. I personally think the seats are uncomfortable and rarely drive it, but she likes it.

My thought is that the 2005 and newer are larger and would be concerned about the mileage compared to a full size.

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #4  
We have a 2000 Tundra bought newand recently Toyota replaced the frame - - Its as good if not better truck today than new.. I looked over the Tacoma when contemplating the parts and replacement frame/parts cost and can say the new larger Tacoma's are 3/4 the 1st Gen Tundra now and with the 4 Cyl 4WD they get 25-27 Hwy and the 3.4 V6 should be around 20-24 Hwy.

I couldnt justify the upgrade to a new machine vs reparing our 2000 Tundra as we spent $3K total for the job and its like new. I liked the room inside the new Tacoma - lots more leg room than my TUndra.. oh well..

You are on the right track with the Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4, and I would suggest getting a 12' trailer for the BX25 - dual axle with brakes might be overkill, as the BX is 3000 lbs and trailer to fit would be around 12-1800 so under 5K total weight should be fine with the Tacoma V6. They are pricy tho, it seems the loaded Tacoma double cab is about the price of a new Tundra xtra cab 4x4 which you can find a good deal on now..

Good luck

Go

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #5  
The Tacoma is the best small truck on the market.

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #6  
I did not have a Tacoma but a 1986 Toyota SR22 or something like that truck. It was a 5 speed 4 cylinder 4x4 and it was bought to replace a POS 1989 S-10 Blazzer. Anyway, bought it in 1991 with 35,000 miles on it and sold it in 1996 with 170,000 miles. Replaced the plugs and wires ($30) and the slave cylinder on the tranny ($20) and thats it other than a battery or two, some brakes and it had 3 sets of tires since new. Absolutely trouble free, would go anywhere, and I routinely pulled a 3,500# boat through the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee with no issues.

Chris

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #7  
For what you will spend on a new one of those, I would just get a F150

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #8  
For what you will spend on a new one of those, I would just get a F150

Ditto...with the ecoboost. Don't get me wrong I love toyota, but for mpg and towing I think the F-150 is a better value for what you want.

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #9  
F150? Why take a step down? There's a reason the Tacoma costs as much or more.

/ Toyota Tacoma - Your Thoughts? #10  
Forget the F-150, get the Toyota over that. Hands down, Toyota's are ONE of the most trouble free vehicles. Got a 2005 4runner, bought brand new....so far 60,000 miles and it has needed NOTHING. Still on original battery and brakes.