2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #1  

duke7595

Gold Member
Tractor
820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020 2240
Hello everyone.
I need some help from the members regarding my pickup. The truck was involved in a head on accident at low speed, thank GOD.
My question is Do you think my insurance company will total it ?

Let me explain, The entire front end, bumper, grill headlights ect, was demolished, also the drivers air bag deployed.
The driver side fender was also damaged as was the windshield. However, the
truck will still start and move, don't seem to be any damage to the radiator or the components from there back to the motor.

I realize this is hard to give me a answer, but I am not to informed with how insurance companies work these days and would appreciate any input from the members. The adjuster will be here this Friday and I am not real comfortable
with this. I sure would like to here from you guys before the adjuster arrives.

Thank you in advance for your help.
sincerely, Duke

Last edited:
   / 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #3  
Suppose it would depend on the value of the truck vs the cost to fix it. Does it have a lot of miles? Knowing roughly what the value of the truck is might help people give some advice.

What are you hoping for? The truck to be totaled or simply fixed?

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #4  
I think that in most cases, if the sum total in price of all the parts and repairs exceed the blue book price, the insurance company adjuster will probably total the vehicle.

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP
Suppose it would depend on the value of the truck vs the cost to fix it. Does it have a lot of miles? Knowing roughly what the value of the truck is might help people give some advice.

What are you hoping for? The truck to be totaled or simply fixed?

I would like to have it totaled and then try and buy it back form the insurer
(century 21) However I have been told they are a HARD TO DEAL WITH comp.

The truck is a plain Jane Silverado 4x4 standard transmission 4.3 with only
57,000 miles . My intention is to repair it myself if I can deal with the adjuster.
I also checked my policy and learned it has a 1000.00 detectable, I thought it was only 500.00 . I further learned the air bag can cost over a thousand dollars to replace.
The adjuster will be here tomorrow and I will let everyone know
what happens.

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #6  
Well how did it go with the adjuster?

and

:welcome: to TBN! :thumbsup:

Happy :tractor: ing!

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #7  
my friend slid on some ice about a month ago and put his f150 crew down head first through a mailbox into a ditch. bent hood up, light damage on drivers door, grill, windshield cracked. both air bags deployed. it was totaled. most of the time if the air bags deploy, i hear they usually total it. his was a 2001 with 200,000 miles. he was going slow (20mph) and didn't hit real hard. infact other then the hood bent up, didn't look like much damage. his plow frame really saved the truck as that was bent in and took most of the impact. also what was said before about if the repairs cost more then the vehicle's worth, then it is totaled. so in his case, it could have been either. yours is newer and has far less miles. if you want it totaled go to the highest cost repair facility you can find to get the estimates.

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP
I want to thank everyone again for you help,

The adjuster came Friday the 30th and stated he believes the truck is totaled, however I won't know until Tuesday of this week coming.

I tried to get him to give me an idea of what he figures my truck is worth,
but he was not forthcoming with that information.

I did some research on the subject and came up with the following:
Get at least 3 comparisons of the same model and miles and the asking price.
It further stated they will low ball you every time. and the only recourse is to hire a arbitrator.

Soon as I here from them I will let everyone know the outcome. I also took some pictures and can't get them to load, as soon as I figure it out I will post them.
Duke

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #9  
WELCOME to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Trailers & Transportation Forum.

/ 2005 chev. 4x4 1500 (half ton) need HELP #10  
Sorry to hear about your truck. My friend's family owns a body shop and he was just explaining some of this to me recently, as I asked him about the process for buying a totaled truck from an insurance co.

He said it is sometimes worth doing, sometimes not, depending on how much damage to the truck, how good you want it fixed, and what price they ask for it. Apparently junk yards and other buyers typically have standing offers with ins. cos. so for example, if your truck books at $9k and it is wrecked they might automatically know they can get 20% of $9k from a junk yard.

But anyway, even my friend, who has that body shop, all the tools and know-how to do things efficiently, does not buy back a lot of wrecks for the purpose of fixing them. He says it is unusual that it's a good bargain. But his personal truck (Ford Ranger?) and one of his shop trucks (1/2 ton forget what brand) both came to him that way.

Many, if not most, body shops will do a free estimate for someone in your situation; and they might also be able to give you some hints about how to negotiate with your insurer. They probably deal with Century 21, and many other insurers, every week.