Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #21  
The reason for 5.5' bed is it will allow a Super Crew to fit in a standard 20'x20' garage.

I have had 6 F-150's and most had the 5.5' bed for this reason. It has tons of volume because its so deep but can be a hindrance if hauling materials longer than 10'

Chris

Not with a trailer ball mount on and without you would still need a laser assist parking guide without. I couldn't imagine an extra foot in a parking lot. One thing that helps a lot is the rear view camera in parking lots and parallel parking. Just wish I had a front camera as well.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #22  
jejeosborne said:
I drive an ecoboost and don't understand the "careful maintenance and driving care to ensure longevity" comment. Am I missing something because I drive it and maintain it like any other vehicle I have ever owned. Run it hard, change the oil every 4000 miles, etc. These turbos are water cooled and require no cool down.
Oil cooled turbos burn up the engine oil much faster than normal, the Ecoboost uses water cooling, that "water" is your engine coolant. Typical engine coolant runs at about 180-210 degrees, now that coolant is running through two turbos that will heat up to over 1200 degrees under even moderate use (over 1700 in severe use). What do you think that will do to your coolant?
Turbo charged vehicles "typically" require premium fuel, the Ecoboost doesn't but that means it's MUCH more sucseptable to knock if you get some bad fuel. Turbo charged vehicles also run higher effective compression ratios which can lead to premature head gasket failure, push that engine too hard and you could be out a major repair. Yes it can happen to any engine but its MUCH more common in turbo engines.

The Ecoboost uses direct injection which uses VERY expensive injectors that do not have the reliability of port injectors as they are directly in the combustion chamber instead of the intake manifold. I just bought a car with a direct injected engine so I'm not against it but would prefer not to have it.
Turbo charged vehicles are MUCH more complicated under the hood due to all the extra hardware, many online are complaining about the lack of space for normal maintenance and repairs in the Ecoboost. There's already a kit to relocate the oil filter to make it easier.

Point being, a turbo charged vehicle will require more careful maintenance and more expensive repairs vs a normally aspirated engine. For a slight power increase and neglible fuel savings, the Ecoboost just isn't worth the risk or premium...

Last edited:
   / Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #23  
We have a 2006 F-150 Super Crew (commonly referred to as a Screw cab). This one is 4x4 and has the 5.4 liter engine. I don't know what the rear axle ratio is, but it does have the tow package (including the trailer brake package).
Mileage is actually better then expected on trips...16-18 MPG, but around town is quite a bit lower.
Anyway, there are a couple really good F-150 forums:
FordF150.net - Your Ford F150 Truck Enthusiast Site - 2011 Ford F150 Super Duty Ranger

F150online

are two examples. I suggest you and your parents review these. The F-150's are good trucks, but they do have some issues (depending on the year).
As examples, the 2006 models with the 5.4L engine and 4x4:
1) The 5.4L engine spark plugs have a tendency to seize in the heads (and break off upon removal attempts). Ford actually has a procedure for removal.
2) The 4 wheel drive hubs (on the trucks with the automatic hubs and transfer case) are vacuum actuated. The hubs are locked unless the vacuum unlocks them so, it the vacuum line(s) split or the actuator fails, it goes into 4WD. Not good on a paved road...especially if it doesn't lock in fully (as my left front did). Automatic hubs aren't cheap! But the dealer fixed this one since I hadn't had the truck (was used when I bought it) too long.

My step-daughter has a 2011 F-150 with the 6 speed automatic. She and her husband get good fuel economy on the road...right around 20 MPG.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #24  
Dmace said:
Oil cooled turbos burn up the engine oil much faster than normal, the Ecoboost uses water cooling, that "water" is your engine coolant. Typical engine coolant runs at about 180-210 degrees, now that coolant is running through two turbos that will heat up to over 1200 degrees under even moderate use (over 1700 in severe use). What do you think that will do to your coolant?
Turbo charged vehicles "typically" require premium fuel, the Ecoboost doesn't but that means it's MUCH more sucseptable to knock if you get some bad fuel. Turbo charged vehicles also run higher compression ratios which can lead to premature head gasket failure, push that engine too hard and you could be out a major repair. Yes it can happen to any engine but its MUCH more common in turbo engines.

The Ecoboost uses direct injection which uses VERY expensive injectors that do not have the reliability of port injectors as they are directly in the combustion chamber instead of the intake manifold. I just bought a car with a direct injected engine so I'm not against it but would prefer not to have it.
Turbo charged vehicles are MUCH more complicated under the hood due to all the extra hardware, many online are complaining about the lack of space for normal maintenance and repairs in the Ecoboost. There's already a kit to relocate the oil filter to make it easier.

Point being, a turbo charged vehicle will require more careful maintenance and more expensive repairs vs a normally aspirated engine. For a slight power increase and neglible fuel savings, the Ecoboost just isn't worth the risk or premium...

First off they are not oil cooled turbos so I am not sure why you mention that. The coolant as well as all the fluids have the same maintenance schedule as the 5.0. The bearing the coolant is protecting is about the size of a pinky finger. In fact the EB holds less coolant than the 5.0. So I think the turbo does nothing to the coolant The 5.0 holds 1.7 more quarts of oil too.

Again I don't know why you mentioned premium fuel because the EB doesn't require that and I haven't tried bad fuel yet to check for problems. I am sure the knock sensors would identify knock and suppress timing like any other engine.

10:1 compression is far from high, in fact the 5.0 motor has higher compression of 10.5:1 and the similar engine in the mustang has an 11:1 ratio. The EB motor was designed to be pushed so I don't get that either. It is not designed to be babied.

Now for direct injection. Yes parts would cost more to replace but it is still a premium desired trait. All engines should be direct injection because they produce more power and better fuel economy. Come on we are out of the 80's.

As far as the oil filter relocate kit. They are available for all engines. The Ford has an air dam under the truck is why they want to relocate it. "MUCH more complicated hardware" is plastic tubing, two turbos, and an extra heat exchanger but the footprint of the motor is smaller.

To say the EB requires "more careful maintenance" is still foggy to me because manual shows the same scheduled maintenance durations.

The EB has 2 less pistons, connecting rods, crank journals, spark plugs and wires, and 8 fewer valves to fail.

I wouldn't consider the power difference as or the 10%+ savings at the pump "slight".

I know you have flamed the EB in the past but I have to know........Have you ever driven one? It is about as much fun as can be had in a stock truck. I recommend you dress up incognito one day and drive one if you haven't. I won't tell anyone. :)

Jeff

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #25  
jejeosborne said:
First off they are not oil cooled turbos so I am not sure why you mention that. The coolant as well as all the fluids have the same maintenance schedule as the 5.0. The bearing the coolant is protecting is about the size of a pinky finger. In fact the EB holds less coolant than the 5.0. So I think the turbo does nothing to the coolant The 5.0 holds 1.7 more quarts of oil too.
I mentioned oil cooled turbos to demonstrate the excessive wear they have on oil life, the same can be said about coolant life in water cooled turbos. You "think" the turbo does nothing to the coolant. Those of us who actually know engines and build them "know" it will shorten coolant life. That's why my turbocharged race car has a seperate cooler for the turbo and does not use engine coolant.
jejeosborne said:
10:1 compression is far from high, in fact the 5.0 motor has higher compression of 10.5:1 and the similar engine in the mustang has an 11:1 ratio. The EB motor was designed to be pushed so I don't get that either. It is not designed to be babied.
10:1 compression is not that high but when you put 15psi of compressed air into the cylinders, that compression sky rockets. Most factory turbo engines run around 8:1.
For example: A turbo engine with a Static Compression Ratio of 10:1 running 15psi at 1000ft above sea level will have an Effective Compression Ratio of around 20.2:1. Seems high now, doesn't it...?
By the way, every engine is designed to be "pushed", to assume anything else is rediculous.
jejeosborne said:
I wouldn't consider the power difference as or the 10%+ savings at the pump "slight".
Compared to the 5.0l making the same HP, it is...
jejeosborne said:
I know you have flamed the EB in the past but I have to know........Have you ever driven one? It is about as much fun as can be had in a stock truck.
I have driven a few and a couple 5.0's, the EB had good low end but felt no different than the 5.0 after first gear...
I'm not "flaming" the EB, it's a good start but far from it's target of V8 power with V6 mileage. Right now it's V8 power with V8 mileage plus expensive repairs.

I know your gonna try to justify your purchase with marketing material like "designed to be pushed" but facts are facts. This engine is far more complicated than the other options for very little gain if any...

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #26  
Not with a trailer ball mount on and without you would still need a laser assist parking guide without. I couldn't imagine an extra foot in a parking lot. One thing that helps a lot is the rear view camera in parking lots and parallel parking. Just wish I had a front camera as well.

I would never leave the ball and mount in the hitch. That is probably my #1 towing pet peeve. I also back in my garage on the left side so that the drivers door is opening to the wall. On the right side I pull in forward so the door is opening toward the wall. This prevents door dings.

Chris

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #27  
Compression ratio--- Turbo---cooling compressed air---Boost --- are all integral to each other.:thumbsup:

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #28  
F150 with the 5L or 6.2L. Personally do not want a turbo. Just a lot more things to go wrong in the long run. Plenty of EB owners are complaining about MPG, on the f150 forums i hang out at. Not many complaints from 5L owners. All depends on your foot, i suppose.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #29  
I mentioned oil cooled turbos to demonstrate the excessive wear they have on oil life, the same can be said about coolant life in water cooled turbos. You "think" the turbo does nothing to the coolant. Those of us who actually know engines and build them "know" it will shorten coolant life. That's why my turbocharged race car has a seperate cooler for the turbo and does not use engine coolant.

I hope I can be included in "those of us who actually know engines" group. I guess I should brag about my qualifications as well. I hold and A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) license and have worked on and rebuilt many engines including normally aspirated, boosted, and even turbine engines. I don't have much experience in race car engines but do have experience in truck engines and tractor engines. Race car engines are an all together different group requiring extra attention because they are designed to be run out the top and rebuilt after every race or two. I don't think that my coolant temperature runs any hotter than the 5.0 engine. You seem to think they are boiling the coolant or something.

10:1 compression is not that high but when you put 15psi of compressed air into the cylinders, that compression sky rockets. Most factory turbo engines run around 8:1.
For example: A turbo engine with a Static Compression Ratio of 10:1 running 15psi at 1000ft above sea level will have an Effective Compression Ratio of around 20.2:1. Seems high now, doesn't it...?

The EB turbos boost at 13 psi not 15 psi. I know, just a 15% difference but the effective compression ratio is 18.6 in your example.
Again we are in the 21st Century. Modern turbo diesels are running 38:1 effective ratios without blowing off heads. This engine is engineered for this and still only requires 87 octane. Seems low now doesn't it....?

By the way, every engine is designed to be "pushed", to assume anything else is rediculous....

You were the one that stated "push that engine too hard and you could be out a major repair". What do you mean?" I guess that applies to any engine then.

Compared to the 5.0l making the same HP, it is......

With your race car experience you should realize that it is not about peak power but the area under the torque and hp curves, which is referred to "total power". Just so you don't think I am going to quote "marketing material", attached is a dyno showing the differences from pickuptrucks.com. The marketing material shows 90% of the peak torque being available between 1700-5000 rpms. That chart looks close to those values.

How We Dyno Tested Ford's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 and 5.0-liter V-8 Engines - PickupTrucks.com News

I have driven a few and a couple 5.0's, the EB had good low end but felt no different than the 5.0 after first gear...
I'm not "flaming" the EB, it's a good start but far from it's target of V8 power with V6 mileage. Right now it's V8 power with V8 mileage plus expensive repairs....

I experienced just the opposite. The EB doesn't even get spooled up until 2nd gear. In fact, the EB should be compared to the 6.2 liter rather than the 5.0.

I know your gonna try to justify your purchase with marketing material like "designed to be pushed" but facts are facts. This engine is far more complicated than the other options for very little gain if any...

Facts are facts agreed. There are no facts that the ecoboost will require any more maintenance cost just because it has a couple turbos. The most reliable car I have ever owned was a Mazda 2.2 liter turbo I drove in my single, childless, years. I put 165000 hard miles, 7 sets of tires, and 6 speeding tickets on that car before I sold it. That car used no oil in 3500 mile intervals and I never replaced any engine component. Facts will be available in about 5 years so obviously my fingers are crossed. Lets not speculate just yet. I justify my $700 upgrade every day I get behind the wheel and it brings a smile to my face.

Attached is a picture of my current 1/2 tank of gas in mixed driving.
Jeff

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 369
  • Torque curve.JPG
    Torque curve.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 501
   / Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #30  
I would never leave the ball and mount in the hitch. That is probably my #1 towing pet peeve. I also back in my garage on the left side so that the drivers door is opening to the wall. On the right side I pull in forward so the door is opening toward the wall. This prevents door dings.

Chris

That is funny. I do still own a pair of pants that have the famous grease stain. I have since gone to greaseless balls. I leave mine in so I am one of those you frown upon. Between the ball mount and my Mickey Mouse trailer mirrors, i am protected from close parkers on three sides. Hum....What can I add to the front now?