Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
So, as a lot of you already know, my parents are thinking of purchasing a truck. We were originally thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma, but we have pretty much ruled that out for various reasons (including the input from TBN members). We have decided that we want to look at the F-150 very closely...

Uses: Daily driver (most likely for my mom) and most likely towing the BX (probably a 7k GVWR trailer).
Needs: XLT trim, Crew Cab, 4x4, and short bed.

We want to get some detailed pricing, so we have a question or two:

1. Ecoboost or V8? It's pretty much a toss-up. I know there are going to be a lot of opinions and there is already a thread started on here about this very subject...We would like to get good MPG's...

2. Axle ratio? I know nothing about which gearing would be right for our uses (daily driver and light-medium duty towing, as mentioned above)...

So, what do you think?

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #2  
For what you guys want to do get a 3.55 axle and either the 5.0L or the 3.5L Eco-Boost.

Me personally I would go with the Eco after seeing what my dads will do with 3.73 gears. His is a 2011 with the FX4 package and a Super Crew.

Chris

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #3  
Have you considered a Dodge Ram. I recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4. I test drove Chevy, Ford and GMC. The Dodge had a better ride by far, better warranty and has numerous upgrades for a comparable price. Also, the Crew Cab (not the Quad cab) is roomier than each of the other cabs. In addition, I was able to get a Hemi, 20"chromes rims, tow package, and dual exhaust with the big horn package for 33,999. The Express which is a slight downgrade still has a hemi, dual exhaust and 18" alloys for 26999 in the quad cab. The closest XLT with similar features was nearly 40K. All in all, the Dodge was the better buy for me. I have about 3K miles on it and love it.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #4  
Are you talking new or used?The reason I ask I just sold my 2011 ford F250 6.2 engine 3.73 gears.The best gas mileage I could get was 12.8 -13.9 city highway mostly (80%)highway driving.Getting ready to retire in the next 14 months my thought process was to sell my 2011 F250 and buy a more gas friendly 2006 ford F150 5.4 triton V-8 3.73 gears.Low and behold after my purchase the MPG,s are a little better city/highway 14-18 mpg,s.honest hand cal.mileage figures.I almost paid cash for my 2011 F250 so after it was sold the 2006 Ford F-150 is paid for.My point those looking for great MPG,s from a 3/4 or 1/2 ton truck might seek other options.Just a thought.coobie

Last edited:
   / Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #5  
Considering your more in search of a fuel effcient truck with mild tow ratings (under 6k lbs), I would look at a base engine truck like Ford V6 3.7l (302 hp/268 lb.ft) and 23 mpg highway with a payload around 1500 lbs and tow capacity around 5500lbs. Although, it looks like the V6 is only available in a 2wd SuperCrew and not 4x4 unless you go with the smaller SuperCab...
The 5.0l and Ecoboost are way more than you need and I doubt your parents want a turbo charged engine which needs careful maintenance and driving care to ensure longevity like close watch on oil types and longer warm up/cool down times. The 5.0l is the better choice but still more than they need. Ford left too big of a gap between the V6 base engine and mid lineup V8 5.0l where the old 5.4l worked.

On the flip side, a new RAM 1500 with the base V8 4.7l that's been in production over a decade makes 310hp/330 lb.ft., 20 mpg highway, 7,100lbs towing and 1540lbs payload along with a longer warranty and cheaper price. Plus they get the nice smooth ride of a coil over suspension no one else offers in a full size.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions
Thanks for the replies.

We don't really like RAM, but they have the best price...

Getting back to the axle, aside from the ratios, what is the difference between a Non-Limited Slip and a Electronic Locking axle??? :confused:

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #7  
Dmace said:
Considering your more in search of a fuel effcient truck with mild tow ratings (under 6k lbs), I would look at a base engine truck like Ford V6 3.7l (302 hp/268 lb.ft) and 23 mpg highway with a payload around 1500 lbs and tow capacity around 5500lbs. Although, it looks like the V6 is only available in a 2wd SuperCrew and not 4x4 unless you go with the smaller SuperCab...
The 5.0l and Ecoboost are way more than you need and I doubt your parents want a turbo charged engine which needs careful maintenance and driving care to ensure longevity like close watch on oil types and longer warm up/cool down times. The 5.0l is the better choice but still more than they need. Ford left too big of a gap between the V6 base engine and mid lineup V8 5.0l where the old 5.4l worked.

On the flip side, a new RAM 1500 with the base V8 4.7l that's been in production over a decade makes 310hp/330 lb.ft., 20 mpg highway, 7,100lbs towing and 1540lbs payload along with a longer warranty and cheaper price. Plus they get the nice smooth ride of a coil over suspension no one else offers in a full size.

I am Ford guy and there is no way I would go with the 3.7. Our dealer gave is a loaner F150 with a 3.7 while my wife's Explorer was having some work done. The 3.7 had absolutely no power.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #8  
A locker is just like the name implies and locks both wheels in the axle up solid. Most are electric like the ones in Fords, Toyotas, Dodges, and Nissans. GM uses a G80 locker that uses friction plates like a clutch and is automatic but does not lock until wheel slip is detected and then disengages at about 25 mph of wheel spin, not ground speed so if you are stuck and spinning it will disengage at a point.

Limited slip also know as posi trac is a system that sends power to both wheels versus a open diff that only sends power to one wheel at a time. It a proven system that works ok but is no locker and if stuck or one wheel is not making ground contact will allow no power or very little power to the wheel touching the ground.

Chris

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #9  
I have. 2012 f150 with 3.55 electronic locking diff and ecoboost and I really like it. I have not found anything that I dislike as of yet. I went with the locking diff so that I could lock in the rear axle when better traction is needed. I am going to tow my kubota B3200 TLB this weekend to see how it does.

/ Thinking of Purchasing Ford F-150 - Some Questions #10  
Getting back to the axle, aside from the ratios, what is the difference between a Non-Limited Slip and a Electronic Locking axle??? :confused:

Limited slip is when the truck senses slipping on the one rear drive wheel and engage the other wheel at times to help the other. Both wheels will not turn simultaneously so to speak.

Electronic locking axle you will be able to engage and lock the rear wheels from a switch on the dash. It will lock both wheels and they will spin together just like differential lock on a tractor. This option is the better of the two. This is my understanding of the two, If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

3.55 axle would be a good choice.