Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
   / Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #2  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

That 8 speed will set them apart. I still cant believe none of the manufactures other than Dodge have not went this route or a electronically controlled split rear diff.

Now if they would just do something with them ugly front head lights.

I am still not sold on the coil spring rear end in a pickup. Time will tell but I remember a old 60's or 70's GM tuck with coil spring rear end and it was not up to the task. There is a reason they ended up going back to leaf springs. Simple and strong. Who know, maybe Dodge did it right but I will take 10 years to know for sure.

Chris

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #3  
Re: Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few e

I remember my father getting a Ford F100 years ago and they're claim that it could haul 2000 pounds in the bed, no problem.

300 miles down the road on a delivery trip and the springs busted. Limped into Buffalo and the service center said that no way was that truck supposed to be able to haul that load. Took most of the day, but they installed leaf springs on it and it lasted for years afterwards.

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #4  

That 8 speed will set them apart. I still cant believe none of the manufactures other than Dodge have not went this route or a electronically controlled split rear diff.

I am still not sold on the coil spring rear end in a pickup. Time will tell but I remember a old 60's or 70's GM tuck with coil spring rear end and it was not up to the task. There is a reason they ended up going back to leaf springs. Simple and strong. Who know, maybe Dodge did it right but I will take 10 years to know for sure.

Chris

i don't even mind the lamps.

I remember back when i was looking for my diesel dually. i tell ya. if I hadn'ta found the right ford.. that dodge was my go to. I liked my 1500 ram.. and would have went to a 3500 diesel ram no problem. i like the styling of the hoods.. probably moresoe than the ford even.

If my ford was in a wreck tomorrow and I was faced with having to repalce it immediatly and a dodge 3500 was my option vs a gm and no fords to be found.. or had a choice of ford and dodge. I'd for sure give the dodge a fair shake.

soundguy

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #5  

Dodge has always been tough..Think back to Powerwagon days, 318 and 360 versions.....Military versions were very strong...I never understood about heir resale or trade-in. If you buy a Dodge, then be ready to keep it for a spell. ???

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #6  

i believe it was some of the older power wagons that you could get a pto on.. :)

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #7  
RollinsFarm, you beat me to the posting about the updated truck. I like the additional tech stuff and the Pentastar V6 with an 8 speed will be a great entry combo. I'm not a fan of the dashboard mounted dial for the gear selector but then again I hated when they all switched to a dial for the 4wd vs my floor shifter...
Diamondpilot said:

The head lights I don't mind because they are projector bulbs which no other truck has. Also, they moved the trailer brake controller to the center console which you mentioned before.

As far as the coil sprung suspension, I'm sure you'll like it when Ford adds it...
If you look at testing, it was faster through a slalom course LOADED than most trucks empty and the testers noted it felt better planted with weight which the others did not. http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/09/30k-shootout-autocross-test.html
It's no secret coil springs can handle weight (just look at bigger trucks and trains) plus everyone knows an unsprung coil suspension will allow a much better ride than leaf springs.

Another big advancement is the air suspension. I've driven my mothers new Jeep GC with the same setup many times. Being able to raise/lower the suspension 4" is great and when the vehicle lowers automatically at highway speeds, you can feel the difference in stability. Only time until a HD setup makes it to the 3500. Another improvement is electric power steering which I love on our new Mazda3. Much better steering at low speeds and idle stops.

395hp/409lb.ft HEMI with an 8 speed ZF transmission will be a killer combo. I bet the Pentastar V6 (305hp/269lb.ft.) with the 8 speed will get better fuel mileage than any truck too! Still good simple engines with no turbos or hybrid batteries needed.

I was REALLY hoping for a light duty diesel...

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #8  

Chris

Toyota already has an 8-speed, this is a ZF unit and already in use in BMW's and few other brands.

Dodge has been known for weak trans, and was using ASIN (?) in the heavier trucks. So this might be a better trans.

The Lexus IS F 8-Speed Sport Direct Shift Transmission: Conquering a Stereotype
Audi to offer 8-speed transmission on most of it models - AutoSpies Auto News

/ Say what you want about Dodge...errrr "Ram" trucks, but they are catching a few eyes. #9  

Dodge has always been tough..Think back to Powerwagon days, 318 and 360 versions.....Military versions were very strong...I never understood about heir resale or trade-in. If you buy a Dodge, then be ready to keep it for a spell. ???

Go back farther and you will find them with straight six.:thumbsup: