I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes!

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
I've about HAD IT with gas prices and high vehicle taxes in my area!:mad:Had it I tell you! So much so that I'm honestly considering getting rid of my truck and just going to buy some beater pickup and call it a day. so what if it won't pull my trailer, cost too much to do so with the truck that WILL pull it now! When I bought my truck last summer I wanna say gas was around $2.40ish range. This lasted through December. It wasn't ideal but it wasn't absolutely back breaking to pay for gas either like it is now. I could at least live with it, it wasn't cutting into other things. Well, now it is and I'll have none of it. My truck doesn't get terrible gas mileage for putting out 403hp/417 ft tq...get's an average of 17. That's better then my 2004 Z71 got! What gets old, and I mean old FAST is dumping in $100-$120 A WEEK into this thing JUST to get around, to do work, etc. No joy riding or anything like that.

I tell you now that if Ford still made the Ranger I'd be at the closest dealership right now signing the papers to one with a 4cyl and a manual transmission. The worst part of it is my truck is preferred to have 93 octane. thats $.17 higher then diesel around here! I knew the truck required 93 but was told it was not mandatory, you could still run on anything 87 octane or above. well the truck gets about 1mpg less with 87 or 89 but I can live with that. it's not the mpg that's killing me it's paying almost $4 a gallon, sometimes MORE, THAT'S what's breaking this farmers back!

I do electrical work as my main job and I honestly have had to adjust prices to cover my gas and I've had to keep going up, up, up and my customers are starting to know this. That's not even mentioning what the price of materials has skyrocketed to these days...all because of, you guessed it, gas prices. this is getting flat out rediculous!

Now for the taxes that also has me chapped beyond belief. I have a farm tag on my truck, it's supposed to save you some in taxes. guess how much it's saved me? not one red cent. not one! they've eliminated tax relief's for farm tag's in my county.:mad: they've also changed how they tax your vehicle and they go by the sticker price of your car or truck now instead of how they used to do it which was what you PAID for the vehicle. So say you are driving a $48,000 truck like me yet you got it for $27,500 when all was said and done. they tax you on the $48,000 NOT what you ended up paying for the truck. My 1/2 truck has higher taxes then some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks on the road. crazy or what??:confused2: My taxes on my truck were $800. $800!!!! I went up their to question it (waste of time) and made them aware that I wasn't driving a one ton dually with a "weighted truck" tag. they looked at me as if I was from another planet and that's when they told me they'd changed how they tax vehicles. I left madder then when I went in.

This is just getting out of hand in this country.

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #2  
I agree!
It's not as bad up here in NH, no sales taxes and $3.80/gal average vs the rest of the country but still out of hand.

Remember this in November, all though I don't think much will happen either way...

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #3  
Well they got what they wanted for years ... high fuel cost...what can be done?

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #4  
Big woop. I've been paying over $4 ($4.30 a gallon) here for months.

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #5  
It's been $5 plus here since the new year. We have the cheapest gas in Canada as well. I don't know how truck owners are doing it.

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #6  
Fuel prices are no longer driven by supply and demand. The demand for fuel now is relatively low, the supply is more than adequate. The problem is that when it is traded as a commodity, places like Goldman and other massive funds, inflate the barrel price so they can ride it up before they bail out of it and watch it fall only to do it all over again. To even think the white house
Has control over this is ridiculous. 4.00 gas is courtesy of wall street

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #7  
Here in Idaho its $3.87/gal for unleaded and $4.19 for diesel. Sales tax is 6% (it was 5% for many many years until they added a TEMPORARY 1% add on tax about 5 years ago...that never temporarily went away).

Im an electrical contractor myself, but i do 90% new construction. I sent out a letter to my contractors a few years back stating that i was adding a fuel surcharge to my bids from now on that was adjusted for mileage from town. For most jobs this adds about $150 to the job cost.

Its helped cover the fluctuation in gas prices.

Now the fluctuation in copper wire... theres no stopping or helping that. The best thing i ever did was to but $24,000 worth of 12/2 and 14/2 wire and stockpile it in my shop. I bought wire at $170/1000 thats now selling for $300/1000. I have about 1/4 of that wire left after about 4 years or so. its saved my bacon .

Now i need to find a misplaced fuel truck that just happens to fall into a 80' long x 10' wide x 10' deep hole..........did i mention that io need to borrow an excavator.

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes!
Fuel prices are no longer driven by supply and demand. The demand for fuel now is relatively low, the supply is more than adequate. The problem is that when it is traded as a commodity, places like Goldman and other massive funds, inflate the barrel price so they can ride it up before they bail out of it and watch it fall only to do it all over again. To even think the white house
Has control over this is ridiculous. 4.00 gas is courtesy of wall street

I think they all have a hand in it. one isn't guilt free anymore then the other. I also think that devaluing the dollar has done as much harm as anything. 10-20 years ago gas didn't fluctuate like this. it held WAY steadier then it does today. prices change DAILY now where back then they MIGHT go up a few cents every 6-8 months.

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #9  
Our refineries are producing so much excess fuel...there shipping it overseas. And raising OUR prices due to a volatile market.....a market that they control.

If i tried to get all the contractors in my area to agree to a set fee i could get arrested for price fixing (its happened ). How come oil companies cant be arrested for the same things.

/ I'm getting SO SICK of gas prices and car taxes! #10  
Big woop is right...I have been paying $4.68/gal for the longest time and our provincial government just released their 2012 budget and hiked the gas tax another 9.5 cents a gallon.

So boo hoo...I feel so bad for those paying less than us. We make the dam stuff and send it south and get screwed in the process.