Maine Trailer Plates

/ Maine Trailer Plates #21  
I received an email reply from Trailer Registrations for Individuals and Fleets Countrywide - MaineTrailerRegistrations.com this morning. I scanned and emailed them my old NY registration upon their request.
They phoned me this afternoon. Gave them the credit card info and for $99 the trailer will be registered for 5 years. Plate should arrive in 10 days.
It was that simple. In my situation, no other forms had to be completed and returned to them.
I'm sure that in certain cases the other paperwork linked on their site like power of attorney, bill of sale and homemade trailer forms would have to be used. Fortunately none of this paperwork was mentioned because the trailer had already been registered to me. Although I was not asked, I also possess the title and there are no liens on the trailer. So the transaction is being processed, apparently pretty smoothly.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #22  
The Maine tag arrived within the promised 10 days. It's on the trailer now.
The registration has my name, but the corporate address (I assume) of Scarborough, Maine on it.
Not sure how this will fly with NY law enforcement, but hopefully I never give them a reason to pull me over. :laughing:
I think it was worth a shot to go from $75 per year to $99 for 5 years on a trailer that's only used a couple of times yearly.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #23  
I'm certainly thinking about this for my dump trailer. At 9,990 GVWR it cost almost $150 last year for a 12 month registration. $99 for 5 years would be nice...

/ Maine Trailer Plates #24  
I'm certainly thinking about this for my dump trailer. At 9,990 GVWR it cost almost $150 last year for a 12 month registration. $99 for 5 years would be nice...

It seems that there are several different opinions on how legal it is from one state to the next. Heck, there are even several opinions from within the same state.
But for the savings I thought I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. Worst case scenario I get a ticket for an expired NY registration and re-register it here.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #25  
Guys it may not matter for you flatlanders that are sending us your money, but----------A trailer registered for more than 10K in the state of Maine requires a yearly inspection.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #26  
Heck if you are going for out of state, go all the way, Ark is permanent tag and no inspection required. I think I paid $25 each for boat and 2 wheel utility. When I register my new 20 foot 12K GVW I will see if it is more.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #27  
Guys it may not matter for you flatlanders that are sending us your money, but----------A trailer registered for more than 10K in the state of Maine requires a yearly inspection.

Not an issue for me. 7,000# gross.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #28  
I can't see how it would be a problem or legal issue. The new car dealerships, as well as the trailer shops and virtually every commercial/ landscape trailer( that carries tags) all have Maine Plates!!!!! When I asked the new car dealership in NY why their trailer had Maine plates, (assuming they also had a dealership in Maine), they told me all the pluses already sited above!!!!!!

/ Maine Trailer Plates #29  
Personal cars dont require inspection either. I dont have any commercial so don t know about those. The did it for a while and then quit for some reason.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #30  
I can't see how it would be a problem or legal issue. The new car dealerships, as well as the trailer shops and virtually every commercial/ landscape trailer( that carries tags) all have Maine Plates!!!!! When I asked the new car dealership in NY why their trailer had Maine plates, (assuming they also had a dealership in Maine), they told me all the pluses already sited above!!!!!!

Hmm. Something to think about. I've got 2 other trailers with NY tags. One is on the road almost every day during seamless gutter season. That's the one that I worry about getting pulled over with. The truck and trailer are all lettered up and truck has DOT numbers on it. That, too is a 7,000# gross trailer.