16 or 18 ft car hauler?

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #1  

Isaac1

I am thinking about buying a 16-18 foot car hauler flat bed style trailer for a few reasons and would like to get your thoughts on the matter. I lack a trailer in this size range at the moment, we have a little 5x8 bumper pull trailer as well as a 24 ft pipe top gooseneck and a 32 ft flatbed gooseneck, the little 5x8 is handy to haul a lawn tractor or other small load, but is just too small for a lot of stuff, and the goosenecks can be a hassle to connect, manouver, etc. Ideally I would like to get a tilt bed in the 18-20 foot range, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money, so instead I am looking at a couple of used 16-18 ft car haulers, the one that seems to be the best deal so far is a 16 ft with 2 ft dovetail, with a wood 83 inch wide deck, it is about 10 years old and is a quality brand name trailer with dual 3500 pound axles(no brakes though, which would be on my upgrade list), fairly new tires, pull out 5 ft ramps, price is about half the price that the same model goes for new with electric brakes. The other one I am considering is similar to the first, but is newer has an 18 ft deck with 2 ft dovetail, has side mounted slide in storage for ramps, not pull out in in place to use and cost about 75-80% of a new trailer. Do you think either of these would be enough trailer to haul a JD 990 with front end loader and a small bush hog or box blade GVRW is shown as 7700 pounds, tow vehicle would be 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck (crew cab superduty F250, or standard cab Dodge 3500)? Tractor Data shows the 990 at 2,500 - 3,000 pounds, wheel base 69 inches, overall length 123 inches.

thanks for your feedback

p.s. another reason to get a trailer like this is many of the local hardware stores, etc. will only load flatbed style trailers by forklift, trailers with sides much be loaded by hand..

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #2  
I have a FEL and 5' bush hog on my tractor. My 16 foot low boy is short by about 4 feet. Bush Hog tail wheel hangs over. Go for 18 to 20 feet.

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #3  
18' minimum, 20' is better. I would have bought an 18' 8 years ago, but I had a friend ride along when I went shopping. He was adamant about me buying a 20 foot trailer. I did, and it was the best favor he ever did for me.

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #4  
I have a 16' with a 2' dovetail trailer. My tractor is a BX 2350, and when I have my tractor with end loader and brush hog on my trailer, it only has a foot or so left over, and that's a really small tractor. If you can have some overhang you might be ok. Measure your tractor and attachments and see where your at.

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #5  
When I was trailer shopping.....I found a great 16 footer (with 2' dovetail) at a good price. Same axels and description as above....but mine has brakes on box axels.

I would rather have an 18 footer....but I have very limited towing needs so it works out good for me.

I seem to get the tractor weight distributed well over the axels....but there is no extra room - fore and af. A brush hog would be hanging over the rear if I hauled all hooked up like that.

I use the trailer for all kinds of things....and mostly have it if I need service or want to do some work at my cabin, etc.

I'd buy mine again at the price I have in it.....but likely would buy longer if I used it a lot.

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #6  
I agree on the 18' deck. I am not a fan of Dove Tails so I have a 18' flat deck trailer. Its a low boy and with my 28HP Jinma, FEL, and Bush Hog the thing sticks over 2'. Any shorter I would be in trouble.

Chris

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #7  
Something else to consider. If you are going to use the trailer to haul a car at sometime, the standard utility trailer sides and wheel well will prevent you from opening the car door. I have a 16 foot utility trailer and wish I would have gone for a 18-20 foot flatbed. My JD 3320 w/FEL and JD MX5 brush cutter is about 4 ft longer than the trailer. When loaded, it pulls straight as an arrow and doesn't feel overloaded other than not being long enough. With a 18-20 ft flatbed, you loose the side steel (most have stake pockets now ) which will allow you to be able to open the doors of automobiles if you ever have to trailer one.

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #8  
i'd go 18.. I have a 16.. 2 more feet would have ALWAYS been usefull..

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler? #9  
I've had both 16' and 18' trailers. The extra cost for the extra two feet on the 18' makes it well worth the difference.

/ 16 or 18 ft car hauler?
Thanks for all the replies, it seems everyone feels 16 ft is too small.