Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Did some searching here but am still a bit confused.
First - What kind or brand of trailers are you using to haul your unit (please no brand bashing). I have a CT235 I am guessing I need a 6K to 10K double axle unit to haul with any attachments. I do have filled GP tires which are bigger than the AG tires. I do like a safety factor as I am guessing my unit, based on specifications, with various attachments is around 3500 to 4K in weight. This gives a factor of having two attachments (box blade and brush hog) on the trailer. What I am looking for is if you have something that has served you well, or was a problem.

I have plenty of truck (F350 dually) so either a goose neck of bumper pull is fine.
I know I want electric breaks on all 4 wheels.
Springs or torsion axles?
Deck framing? Most have big perimeter framing with U channel under the deck.
Deck material - wood planking or metal grating?
Back Ramps - slide out of fold down? - leaning towards fold down as I have seen the slide out jam due to dirt, etc.
Tire size - 16 to match truck?
Utility box? - some come with this option - is it worth the price, or should I get an aftermarket?

Size - with box blade the unit is 73 inched wide and 16' - 6" long. With brush hog unit is 21' long. With low profile deck how much can I overhang the tong? Also when I see dimension like 18' + 2 what does that mean? Also I see a lot of abbreviations such as PJ etc. What are the full brand names?

Sorry for so many questions - just trying to learn so I do not make a mistake.

When looking at a used unit, what should I be looking for to spot any major problems? I looked at one and noticed the deck framing (plywood over U channel) was bowed.

Thanks

PS I live in SW Colorado - any good dealers in my area? (called 4 corners)

Last edited:
   / Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #2  
Sorry can't help with the trailer, but your estimate for weight is off. The base unit is around 3200 lbs, add the loaded tires, you're at about 4000 lbs, add another 700 lbs for FEL. With a couple attachments, you're around 5500lbs, so that puts your 6000 lbs trailer out.

Good luck.

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #3  
Sounds like you are doing all the right research.

I am going to eventually be picking up a similarly sized equipment trailer... some day...

So unfortunately I am not a ton of help right now. But! Some things I can immediately think of for you to consider:

Definitely get a 10k gross trailer (or 14k). If you settle for a pair of 3500 lb axles... then factor in trailer weight... you're screwed already with your CT235 + attachments.

The fold up ramps might be easier to use and less prone to dirt clogging, etc, however, how often will you move the trailer empty? Reason I ask, is, they create a LOT of aerodynamic drag back there sticking up into the wind like a pair of sails. Even with a tractor loaded on the trailer, they will add significant additional drag, epseically over 60 mph. I have never used the slide in ramps, so can't comment on their reliability and ease of use (but they just make sense to me... why not fill that otherwise wasted space under the trailer deck and lower your aero drag). They also allow you to more easily overhang equipment off the rear of the trailer without issue.

Sounds like you need a 20' trailer - this is nearing the upper limit for a bumper pull type. Probably an 18+2 would make sense. What this designation means is 18' of flat bed, plus 2' of sloping dovetail on the back. It's hard to use as additional area for loading stuff on the trailer, but adds length for implements to hang out over, acts as additional ramp angle to more easily get equipment up and onto the trailer, etc.

Tire size - doubt you'll find a trailer with idential sized tires to your truck. I wouldn't worry about that. Any good trailer manufacturer is going to adequately size and spec the wheel/tire combo for the trailer rating. Hopefully it comes with a spare or two, also.

Trailer deck surface - wood is going to be cheaper and lighter (thus allowing more capacity). It will handle the load just fine, all metal is overkill. I think.

Brands - there are a lot. Most are good. Look for neat wiring, that is well protected. No scotch-locks! Check UNDER the frame to ensure it is painted / powdercoated everywhere. Look at the weld quality - any gaps or big boogers hanging off is a bad sign.

Thats all I can think of for now. good luck!

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235
Sorry can't help with the trailer, but your estimate for weight is off. The base unit is around 3200 lbs, add the loaded tires, you're at about 4000 lbs, add another 700 lbs for FEL. With a couple attachments, you're around 5500lbs, so that puts your 6000 lbs trailer out.

Good luck.

I cant thank you enough - you right on the numbers
Base unit with filed tired and FEL is right at 4200 now that I look. Box blade is 600# and mower is 550# so using 5500 is spot on for haul weight. Figuring in 2500# for trailer I need a 8K minimum unit.

Deezler - thanks too for your thoughts.

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #5  
A common trailer is a 7000 lb, which is two 3500lb axles. This would probably work for you but would be border line, so get something like a 10,000 lb trailer, or the next step up, a 14,000.

What type? I like wood decking. The other option is dove tail or flat deck. Mine is a dove tail, but that is just what they happened to have. I like it, but I think a flat deck would be fine. Fold down ramps are nice, but you can't hang anything off the back. If the trailer is plenty long, this isn't an issue, but if you need a little overhang because of your brush mower, the ramps would be in the way.

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #6  
I have plenty of truck (F350 dually) so either a goose neck of bumper pull is fine.
I know I want electric breaks on all 4 wheels.
Springs or torsion axles?
Deck framing? Most have big perimeter framing with U channel under the deck.
Deck material - wood planking or metal grating?
Back Ramps - slide out of fold down? - leaning towards fold down as I have seen the slide out jam due to dirt, etc.
Tire size - 16 to match truck?
Utility box? - some come with this option - is it worth the price, or should I get an aftermarket?

10K equipment trailer. will come with 2 5200lb axles (6bolt) or 2 6200lb (8bolt) axles. 16" tires as 15" dont come rated for 2500lbs each.

stay away from any trailer that has 5bolt rims. they are 3500lb axles.

wood decking, 2" treated or 2" rough sawn oak depending on your location and avialblity.

I prefer slide out ramps (or storeable ones) because i want to be able to extend my brush hog off the back of my trailer a foot or more if i have to, stand up ramps make hanging anything off the back impossible.

Storage box. yes get one, tongue mounted.

leaf springs are normal, although you could custom order torsions, but expect to pay more. the torsions ride better.

most of the name brand trailer makers offer the 10K equipment trailers in both a 4 and 5" C channel designs. most include 2" C cross members 2' OC. your not likely to find structural issues with a name brand trailer.

All of the above is normal on name brand trailers such as big Tex or the like

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #7  
10K equipment trailer. will come with 2 5200lb axles (6bolt) or 2 6200lb (8bolt) axles. 16" tires as 15" dont come rated for 2500lbs each.

stay away from any trailer that has 5bolt rims. they are 3500lb axles.

wood decking, 2" treated or 2" rough sawn oak depending on your location and avialblity.

I prefer slide out ramps (or storeable ones) because i want to be able to extend my brush hog off the back of my trailer a foot or more if i have to, stand up ramps make hanging anything off the back impossible.

Storage box. yes get one, tongue mounted.

leaf springs are normal, although you could custom order torsions, but expect to pay more. the torsions ride better.

most of the name brand trailer makers offer the 10K equipment trailers in both a 4 and 5" C channel designs. most include 2" C cross members 2' OC. your not likely to find structural issues with a name brand trailer.

All of the above is normal on name brand trailers such as big Tex or the like

Ditto on above
I would go with a 20' trailer with 2-6k axles. 20' gives alot of room to adjust load position according to the attachments on the unit at the time of loading. x2 on wood floor. Have a 16' and 20' with 6k's and the 20 is the one I like the best just for having the room to move the tractor to position weight correct. Also a 16 or 20' with 2-6k axles will weigh in empty around 3500lbs.

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #8  
I have the same tractor. I also have two different trailers, both have ramps sticking up, but both work fine. One is a 10K the other is 12K. Both have a 18foot flat deck, bumber pull. With the backhoe, flail mower, box blade, york rake, sickle mower or counter weight attached to the 3pt hitch, either trailer works great.

The problem comes when I have the "Bush Hog" on the back. Trailer is to short. You will want a 20' deck and still will have to load differently with the "Bush Hog". Something else to think about - with a 18' deck, the front bucket will be tight against the bar across the front of the deck. Weight distrubution will be fine, easy to tie down, not a heavy tongue weight.

With a 20' trailer - now you will have a heavy tongue if loaded against the head board. I see different brands of trailers have the axels in different places. Just more things to watch for.

Something else - D.O.T. here in New York is tough. Besure your hitch, slide in ball, tie down chains, binders all have the weight ratings needed.

Oh - slide-in ramps are really nice BUT sometimes with a long attachment on the 3pt hitch you have to store them somewhere's else. Flip-up ramps are a real PITA in this area. With slide in's you really should put blocks under the back of the trailer, for when loading/unloading it doesn't try to rip the tongue off the ball. The flip up ramps have a ground bearing bar on them.

I haven't owned a trailer yet where there are tie downs where "I" want them. I have always added more.

Just my thoughts on your question.

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #9  
All good info here. A 12,000# unit, low boy with slide out ramps 18 / 20' should do it. I prefer bumper pull to keep the bed free.

Chris

/ Equipment trailer for Bobcat CT235 #10  
I pull a 235 on a 7000lb trailer. it seems to do fine.
3100 tractor
700 loader
550 mower
1700trailer

6050lb tires not loaded, but almost 1000lb to spare.