Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    bx-23 ,

Default replanking my trailer question

replanking my 2005 bigtex car hauler[ummm actually tractor hauler] The original pt was crap and didnt hold up ,now its rotten.Igot some real good pt 2by 12s [no knots]Iwas wondering if you guys think i should gap them apart a bit,instead of tightly touching each other like the original.Just wondering if an air space would help.Also thinking of coating the bottom side with motor oil?What do you think?
    ALAN
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4900

They will probably shrink a bit, so I would just place them in tight.

Silver Member
    Manitoba, Canada / Minnesota, USA ( I straddle the border)
    Tractor
    '12 Kubota B2620, fel,mmm,bh,bb

Default Re: replanking my trailer question

I would use pressure treated wood. If not pressure treated, treat it yourself like you mentioned. I treated my new deck

I used mixture of 30% used motor oil and 70% wood preservative and it worked GREAT on fresh wood. My fathers recipe. Too much oil and the deck stains dark.

Gap depends on moisture content of wood now versus what it will be in use. If wood is dry and you think it will swell then leave a gap. If at a "normal" moisture level I would put together as likely they will shrink over time.

Tractor
    NH TN70DA & NH 2120

I use several trailers and have replaced all of the decking. I used Oak 2x10 or 12's on 3 of them and 2x12 Maple on the other. I space them 1" to 2 " apart for one simple reason to let the dirt and grim go somewhere instead of washing or sweeping the trailer each time I use them. A couple other things when the boards are spaced the dry faster in bad weather (rain and snow) also if it's for a trailer depending on the width you may save a full board plus the bolts to secure the board as well as the time it takes to complete the project.

Good luck

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

We always gap ours .162". Diameter of a 16d common nail.
    Chris

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

Quote Originally Posted by escavader View Post
    replanking my 2005 bigtex car hauler[ummm actually tractor hauler] The original pt was crap and didnt hold up ,now its rotten.Igot some real good pt 2by 12s [no knots]Iwas wondering if you guys think i should gap them apart a bit,instead of tightly touching each other like the original.Just wondering if an air space would help.Also thinking of coating the bottom side with motor oil?What do you think?
    ALAN
    I've got a Big Tex and it's planked with 2x6x16 pt. I would think that you could spaced 2x12 up to 1/2" with out any issues.
    I have a couple of boards that rotted and I'll need to replace them soon my self.

Tractor
    Kubota

I re-planked my 16' Big Tex with 2"x16" white oak cut by a local with a portable saw mill. They are a true 2" thick. I spaced them about 1/4" apart and when they dried the gap opened up to about 1/2". I coated them with a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. Should last for a long time.
    The original planking only lasted about 3 years.

Gold Member

I built my trailer in 1990 with pressure treated planks about 3/8 inch apart. The trailer spent about half those years out doors. I never have had to replace any planks but about every other year I put on some Thompson's water seal.

Tractor
    JD 6400

The pressure treated lumber you buy now seems to be a lot poorer quality than it used to be. The original floor on my trailer only lasted 5 years before I replaced it. I'm considering oak for my next floor.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, John Deere 855D 4x4 Diesel Gator

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

Trailers I've worked with have all had 1/4 inch spacing or better to make cleaning easier. Modern treated pine does not last more than about 5 years, but costs a whole lot less than oak or maple, unless you have a friend with a portable saw mill. My neighbor goes with pine because he can replace it a time or two for what hardwood costs, and may not own the trailer forever anyway.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast