trailer question

/ trailer question #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
What are the best locations to use on a tractor to secure it to the trailer?. I have heard some people chain around the front axle but that seems you could break something. I was planning to hook onto the front weight bracket and to the drawbar on the rear. This make any sense? I am open to ideas...I could not find anything in the manuals...thanks...

/ trailer question #2  
I don't know if those areas are the best, but that is where I do it on my Kubota BX1800 as well. I also didn't like the idea of the axles figuring that could possibly damage something.

/ trailer question #3  
That is what I do. Using a shackle on your drawbar works well.
Will

/ trailer question #4  
Hi Mr Green

I had a guy do some yard work for me before I got my tractor and he had a pretty slick way. He had a quick attach 3 point, he then had a rod going across the front of the trailer, just backed on the trailer and raised the 3 point till the quick attach locked on the rod, thats all he used. I just ordered the JD Imatch, now if I only had a trailer,,,

later
Phil

/ trailer question #5  
Watch the drawbar. If you crank down on it, it will bend. Nothing severe, but it will bend.

/ trailer question #6  
I actually hook mine to the inside of the drawbar with straps. The attached picture shows where I attach the straps to the rear of my unit now (only one side shown)

I first bougt a clevis to go through the drawbar, but the other day decided to try this spot and I like it much better.

Attachments

• 269282-P5210013.JPG
    269282-P5210013.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 375
   / trailer question #7  
This picture shows how I was doing it with the clevis, of course I had two straps pulling from opposite directions, but it still only gave a single point on the tractor and if one broke would have loosened the other without the tractor even moving so that is why I have changed now. If one breaks now, the tractor has to move also.

Attachments

• 269285-P5210014.JPG
    269285-P5210014.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 328
   / trailer question
surfran,
Thanks for the photos...I have a clevis on my drawbar now, sort of what I was thinking about. I like the drawbar set-up on your tractor better than what I have. Where abouts in the finger lakes region are you located? We are planning to build on land we bought by Seneca Lake.

/ trailer question #9  
On My machines, Ford 2120 and TN, I wrap a chain right around the rear axle for the rear. In the front. I wrap a chain around the front weight brackets. I've never been a fan of securing using anything hitched to a 3 point attachment. I want a secure hitch right to the main part of the machine. You may be okay on lighter machines, but on the 2120 and the TN the rear axle is very strong and like I said it's defiately the only place I feel comfortable securing. An exception to this is that I'll grab the frame of the Woods 1050 hoe on the TN if the hoe is mounted. It's not about to fall off either.

Andy

/ trailer question #10  
I use the front axle and the backhoe on the rear most of the time. When the backhoe is off, I hook to the drawbar or rear axle depending on what else I've got going on at the time.

I have to trailer my tractor this weekend and I'm going to try something a little different just to see how I like it. I'm going to back my tractor to my trailer then begin winching it up onto the bed with two J-hooks and a pear ring.

When I get it to near where I want to stop it, I'm going to loosely strap the front axle to the floor then winch it on further until those connections are tight. My winch has a brake on it so I should be OK with that end. I will, however, still attach safety chains. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Remember, a safety chain isn't just a good idea, it's the law. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif