Converter thefts

/ Converter thefts
You guys can call this dumb, but I have long felt the reason many people choose to steal, no matter what the form, be it selling converters, burglary, embezzlement, etc. is in part because it is tax free income. When you work and earn $100, you pay taxes, Social Security, etc. on that $100, leaving you hopefully $65-$70 of real earnings.

Those who steal and earn $100 are getting the full $100--no deductions. Tax evasion in the most basic form.

/ Converter thefts #32  
You guys can call this dumb, but I have long felt the reason many people choose to steal, no matter what the form, be it selling converters, burglary, embezzlement, etc. is in part because it is tax free income. When you work and earn $100, you pay taxes, Social Security, etc. on that $100, leaving you hopefully $65-$70 of real earnings.

Those who steal and earn $100 are getting the full $100--no deductions. Tax evasion in the most basic form.

As long as there is a market, there will be thieves. The scrap dealers buying this stuff know that much of it is stolen. We should license the scrappers, and only allow the yards to buy from licensed scrappers.

I agree with the tax thing. Kinda gets to me sometimes, I know several busineses around here that are cash only. One that I have talked to is really anti government also. Doesn't stop him from cllecting SS disability!! :)

/ Converter thefts #33  
LOL another tax..LOL good one..Where would that money be used? Why tax (charge) the legit people?

/ Converter thefts #34  

Ya that's exactly why humans have stolen things since two cave men were sitting around the fire and one cave man wanted the other cave mans hammer so he smashed the first cave man with a rock and took his hammer.

It has NOTHING to do do with taxes. It has everything to do with someone wants what you have so they take it, it's THAT SIMPLE.

What's the worst thing that can happen to a thief? They get three free meals a day, free clothes, free housing, the best medical care, free TV, free work out room and gym, and the only down side is being Bubba's Prom date.

/ Converter thefts #36  
When a meth head brings in a load of scrap, nobody asks where he got it?

yes and no.

if someone pulls into the local recycler here and it's the usual fair of pop cans, some rusty sheet metal, end cut pieces swept up from an aluminum job, an old hot water heater and half a swing set.. yeah.. nobody cares.. it's scrap.. kinda obvious it's scrap.

now.. someone pulls in with spools of clean copper, a dozen radiators still dripping green with hoses still on them cut a few inches from the neck, and a pickup truck bed full of ac condensors that look 100% healthy... then yeah... those guys they smoke over....

/ Converter thefts #37  
Here in Indiana you must have a drivers license and the take a copy of it along with a photo of you and your vehicle and run the plate in a data base.

This all started about 2 years ago when scrap became a real problem. Kind of funny that a group of Boy Scouts cant sell the cans they collect because they do not have a license but that is the way it is. Have to have the parents take them in.

Chris

/ Converter thefts #38  
Just the other day 11 Converters were stolen from 2 new car dealers here.
They got 6 at one and 5 at the other dealer .
1 was the Chevy dealer & 1 was a Ford dealer owened by the same owner .

/ Converter thefts #39  
man.. sign of bad times...

/ Converter thefts #40  
I wonder how many of these thefts are by stupid kids with no idea what to do with them when they get them, and end up just throwing them away?

I am glad they are cracking down on scrappers. Dunnage(sp?) theft used to be real bad in the auto industry, but state law has changed some. I don't know how much difference it has made though.