Converter thefts

/ Converter thefts #41  
say.. that handle wouldn't have anything to do with 'the wanderer' would it?

:)

/ Converter thefts #42  
Couple of new car lots were hit this past weekend around my area. New cars / trucks had Slashed tires & stole cat converters

/ Converter thefts #43  
I think the next new car antitheft option will be serializing your car. Numbers stamped or laser etched into all the popular theft items. As the parts are added on the assembly line the VIN number, or some part of it, could be laser etched onto the parts. If law enforcement catches someone selling a part a computer check would at least provide a link to the current owner or some database like NCIC.

I believe this is already common practice. Body panels have some portion of the VIN on them to deter "chop shop" operations. I don't think this applies to replaceable parts like converters.:thumbsup:

/ Converter thefts #44  
the vandalism on top of the thefts is just way over the top :(

/ Converter thefts #45  
man.. sign of bad times...

Not really..Last time this happened around here in any material fashon times were good and honestly they never got that bad in comparison to other areas..It's just opportunity..When I bought my truck, the dealer had all pickups backed as close to each rear bumper as possible to prevent tailgate theft..That was big a few years ago in these parts...Don't hear much about it now...The crack heads like raiding dumped houses for copper now...Some of the police blotter stories are hysterical...Those morons are even hitting utility sub-stations..A couple of them ended up like the cat on Christmas Vacation...Good, we don't need them out here anyway.

/ Converter thefts #46  
Diamondpilot said:
I agree. Cut the hand off a thief, the willy off a rapist, ect. Crime is a dangerous business. I think a fair number if criminals should be shot by either law enforcement or private citizens like myself protecting mine and my neighbors property.

Too many bleeding heart liberals making it hard for honest folks like me to protect what's mine.

Chris

So you would cut off the hand of a CC thief? Is Sharia law popular in your state? Funny thing is the most conservative states are against the laws you want yet you blame liberals. Puzzling!

/ Converter thefts #47  
As long as there is a market, there will be thieves. The scrap dealers buying this stuff know that much of it is stolen. We should license the scrappers, and only allow the yards to buy from licensed scrappers.
So, how would that affect someone like me who recently bought a place which has a bunch of farm equipment that is not hardly worth selling? Or, I start to clean the junk out of the shop and hedgerows?
They already get my DL before they pay me, there should be penalties for dealers who buy from questionable sources, they see enough to know when something isn't kosher, require them to pay everyone with checks mailed to their DL address, then give them a hotline where they can report suspected thieves.

Aaron Z

/ Converter thefts #48  
we are still having problems with this in central texas. especially at wrecker yards. They get in there and cut them out and if they are able to get in the yard with out destroying the fence the owner of the yard doesn't even know until a customer comes to pick up their car and they are missing somthing.

/ Converter thefts #49  
I believe this is already common practice. Body panels have some portion of the VIN on them to deter "chop shop" operations.

Even then, it only works if the resale is intended for the US. You can fit a lot of fenders in a shipping container.

/ Converter thefts #50  
So you would cut off the hand of a CC thief? Is Sharia law popular in your state? Funny thing is the most conservative states are against the laws you want yet you blame liberals. Puzzling!

a thief is a thief... no place for them in society. they are a parasite that lives off the work of others.

i take it from your defensive tone that you have a soft spot for some level of theives? perhaps CC thieves?

Do you condone theft? or are there levels / a threshhold you find ok? A lil theft is ok.. but not a big theft? Or does it depend on who is stolen from? A bank, rich, poor, etc, etc?

seems i may detect a bit of thief advocacy here?

soundguy