Which is the Better Tow Truck?

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #1  

rutwad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5465, Kubota M5040, Farmall H (2), Minneapolis Moline R, Case 530CK, Cat 416C
Both trucks are crew cab 4x4. One is a 2010 Ford F150 with the 5.4L, 6 speed automatic, and 3.73 rear axle. Tires measure 31.9".

Other is 2012 Silverado 5.3L, 6 speed automatic, and 3.42 axle ratio. Tires 31.6".

I am wondering how these 2 trucks would compare in towing.

TIA!!

Last edited:
   / Which is the Better Tow Truck? #2  
If you have the stock size tires on the Silverado, they are 31.6" tall, not 30.5"....

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck?
31.6 sounds good to me. Is that on the 18" wheel?

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #4  
Yeah, the 18" rims have a 265-65R18 tire. The other sizes are within a 1/2" of each other though....

My 2011 hauls my tractors and such pretty well. 6000 lbs of trailer and tractor. Same setup as you mentioned above.

I have not driven a Ford with the 5.4, let alone towed with one, so I am of no help there...

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #5  
What are the torque ratings, what is the weight difference between the two trucks, and what is the overall gear ratio in 6th gear? Not likely anybody is going to tow in 6th gear but I would pick the truck with the higher torque rating, the lighter weight, and the lower overall gear ratio.

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #6  
Specs are so close that you are better off picking by color or condition.

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #7  
Specs are so close that you are better off picking by color or condition.

Not sure if he is comparing a 50,000 mile 2010 Ford to a 1,000 mile 2012 Silverado. Lot of variables involved that we don't know about.

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck?
On paper, it looks like Ford is the winner with the lower gearing, and more torque. I have the Ford truck, but considering a Silverado. I just don't want to kick myself later.

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #9  
Like stated above the 5.4 Ford has the advantage on power. It makes better torque at the low end. The 5.3 GM is a tried and true motor that is basically trouble free other than some using oil. Its hit or miss on this.

The 3.73 gears in the Ford will really shine over the 3.42 gears in the GM. If you could find a 3.73 GM it would be a even fight.

Chris

/ Which is the Better Tow Truck? #10  
You can probably find a dealer with a used similar Silverado that they would let you test tow with. They might even let you try with the new one.