Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM

Default What trailer to get for my Jeep Cherokee Sport?

I bought a John Deere 1026, I may want to transport it with the loader and box scraper what size trailer should I get? Also, I sometimes sell firewood, how much firewood does a trailer hold depending on the size. I drive a 2000 Jeep cherokee sport 4x4.

Tractor
    2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM

Default Re: What trailer to get for my Jeep Cherokee Sport?

I don't want to buy a $4,000 dump trailer, looking for something $1,500 or less.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

With the I6 4.0l, you should be rated to tow around 5k max. According to the John Deere website, your tractor is about 1500lbs so probably around 2500 with fluids, loader and box blade. You will need a dual axle trailer not only for capacity but to load it properly so there isn't too much tongue weight on the Jeep. A 7k landscape trailer should be more than enough and weigh around 1000 lbs leaving you well within your tow capacity. A 14-16 ft trailer would be ideal.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    JD 4120, 400x loader, bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, grapple

I agree with dmace. A 7000lb 16 ft trailer. New and good used they are a dime a dozen. For 1,500 you should be able to find a good used one plus have enough money left to get a brake controller and wiring for your jeep.
    YOU SHOULD TREAT EVERYONE WITH COURTESY AND RESPECT. BUT HAVE A PLAN FOR KILLING THEM........JUST IN CASE.

Gold Member

i'd throw that tractor right on a single axle landscape trailer and roll with it. keeps your overall weight down. that 4.0 is going run out of power really quick towing that tractor plus a trailer that is going to be 1300+lbs more. you will never use the capacity a tandem axle trailer will have, as your "tow vehicle" is not not meant to handle that- especially with firewood. you will NEVER use capacity of that trailer.

i have owned 3 cherokees; a 2000, and 1997, and a 2001. the 97 was a standard, and pulled better than the autos. that being said, even towing two large atvs on a 6x12 landscape trailer, all 3 quickly ran out of power. the autos were always down shifting to maintain speed. no way would i tow anything that requirred a two axle trailer behind a cherokee. they are too short wheelbase, unibody, underpowered, etc.

not everyone needs a two axle trailer to move their small tractors.
    heavy equipment/heavy truck mechanic/heavy haul trucker
    2007 Kubota L4400
    1997 Ford F-Super Duty Service truck
    2009 Quality 12k trailer, 18'+2'
    2-71 Detroit Diesel powered generator
    '52 farmall super m
    Massey Ferguson 50a backhoe
    an odd collection of wheel horses
    Nothing runs like a yanmar, right?

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

Quote Originally Posted by some zilch View Post
    i have owned 3 cherokees; a 2000, and 1997, and a 2001. the 97 was a standard, and pulled better than the autos...... the autos were always down shifting to maintain speed.
    That's a little odd since the standards came with a 3.08 axle and the automatics had a 3.55. The downshifting is a pretty normal thing for slush boxes, especially with the new breed of engines out now. I also think a single axle trailer might be OK, but it will be borderline.
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Tractor
    Kubota B7510HSD

So let's say his equipment does weigh in at 2500# how would a single axle work most are rated at 3000# and that's including the trailer weight ...Better make sure you have trailer brakes!!

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400

I agree with Dmace. There is far more flexibility to load it right and not end up with the trailer driving the Jeep instead of the other way around. As far as the tranny "hunting", use the OD lockout or select drive to minimize shifts. Be sure the trailer you buy has good brakes, and if you can find one with brakes on all four wheels you're golden.
    CCY SC2400, FEL, MMM, WB, Chore tote, Broadcast Spreader

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

I would just go for tandem trailer rated for 7k. IMHO, his jeep will pull it fine with 4-5k worth of weight behind him (tractor and trailer weight combined). He wont be winning any races , but he will be safer this way since he would have both trailer axles for better balance and stopping power. I pulled my kubota with both s10 blazer 4.3L and kia sedona 3.8L. The blazer pulls nicely but needs both WD and sway bar for good control. The Kia benefits from the WD due to soft rear suspension , but it feels good on road without sway bar due to long wheelbase. I just dont have any power with sedona for passing or staying in 4th gear on hills, but it pulls fine over short distance when needed.

Tractor
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by denverdave66 View Post
    I bought a John Deere 1026, I may want to transport it with the loader and box scraper what size trailer should I get? Also, I sometimes sell firewood, how much firewood does a trailer hold depending on the size. I drive a 2000 Jeep cherokee sport 4x4.
    The 2k XJ Sport w/auto is rated to tow 5k with WDH & brakes. If you have an auto, you need an auxiliary transmission cooler (factory tow package includes this), otherwise your AW4 will die an early death.
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast