HELP - priming 7.3 IDI

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I changed the fuel filter in my '88 7.3L IDI E350 VAN. Getting the old filter off took a while due to limited room and big hands, and getting the water drain off required me taking it inside to put in a vise. The replacement filter was also a pain to put on the end result was that I "lost" prime on the fuel line big time. I know the fuel pump is working because when I was putting the filter back on the first time I didn't get it tight enough and it squirted diesel all over.

I'm trying to reprime it with 20 seconds of cranking with several minutes of cool down as I've read so I don't burn out my starter. I've "cracked" an injector line.

I've read discussions saying it will take lot's of cranks and read one post saying it might take recharging the batteries a couple of times.

I also just replaced the batteries.

Questions - Should I crack more injector lines?
Realistically how many times should I expect to due 20 seconds of cranking before suspecting injector pump failure?
Does pressing the Schrader valve on the filter housing help?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI #2  
I usually go right for the return line and loosen it quite a bit to make sure fuel is moving through the pump. When you get a steady flow at that point, retighten, and then crack all the injector fittings about half a turn. When it starts, you just start snugging them down until the leakage stops.

disclaimer, have never personally worked on an idi.

Found this write up that I thought was pretty good.

http://oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI #3  
I changed the fuel filter in my '88 7.3L IDI E350 VAN. Getting the old filter off took a while due to limited room and big hands, and getting the water drain off required me taking it inside to put in a vise. The replacement filter was also a pain to put on the end result was that I "lost" prime on the fuel line big time. I know the fuel pump is working because when I was putting the filter back on the first time I didn't get it tight enough and it squirted diesel all over.

I'm trying to reprime it with 20 seconds of cranking with several minutes of cool down as I've read so I don't burn out my starter. I've "cracked" an injector line.

I've read discussions saying it will take lot's of cranks and read one post saying it might take recharging the batteries a couple of times.

I also just replaced the batteries.

Questions - Should I crack more injector lines?
Realistically how many times should I expect to due 20 seconds of cranking before suspecting injector pump failure?
Does pressing the Schrader valve on the filter housing help?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
I have a 93 IDI 7.3 in a ford F250 and I feel your pain.

THE LONG WAY:
I usually fill the filter most of the way up with diesel before spinning it on.

Then I press the Schrader valve in while someone cranks it over (always keep in mind the overheating of the starter 20 seconds cranking and 5 minutes off).

Then I usually crack the injector lines and crank it over, when I see fuel (sometimes it starts at this point) I tighten the injectors a little it should start at this point if it hasn't already.

Tighten all the injectors.

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI #4  
The short way works with standard trans trucks fill the spin on filter and bleed the air out with the Schrader valve.

Hook up a pull vehicle and pull start the truck, this is easier on the starter and you do have to pulls a ways sometimes.

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI
Thanks guys
I had filled the filter prior to putting it on.
Pushing in the Schrader valve got me a fist full of fuel.
I've gone thru about 20 cycles of 20 to 30 seconds of crank w/ 2 to 10 minutes off.
I've cracked 4 of the 8 injectors (not much room in the van).

How many more should I expect to need to do?

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI #6  
Any fuel at all getting past the injector fittings?

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI
Not yet, I had to decrease the frequency of cranking, battery getting slow.
The van is directly in the sun so it was HOT today even with windows down.

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI #8  
Throw a diesel SOAKED rag over the heavy screen under where the air filter sits, crank the motor until it fires. CAUTION; be prepaired to pull off the rag, keeping in mind that there is 444 cubic inches trying to suck it through the motor and it will "run away" and the key will not shut it down. DISCLAIMER; This solution was only explained to me and I have never had to resort to this, but usually if you get enough fuel in it to make it run enough to keep it's self going, it will work out the air pretty soon. Good luck.

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI
Throw a diesel SOAKED rag over the heavy screen under where the air filter sits, crank the motor until it fires. CAUTION; be prepaired to pull off the rag, keeping in mind that there is 444 cubic inches trying to suck it through the motor and it will "run away" and the key will not shut it down. DISCLAIMER; This solution was only explained to me and I have never had to resort to this, but usually if you get enough fuel in it to make it run enough to keep it's self going, it will work out the air pretty soon. Good luck.
Thanks,
This ranks right up with inflating a tractor tire with ether and a match so it seats on the rim. I was just going to try and use a spray bottle of diesel/diesel kleen.

I might try it.

/ HELP - priming 7.3 IDI
Success!!

Just kept on going out and loosening a few injectors, cranking for 20 seconds, tightening the injectors. Go inside, come out 10 or more minutes later repeat. SWMBO had started muttering that doing the same thing over and over with the same result, was a sign of being crazy.

Finally after cranking about 40 times I got fuel leak around one injector. Another 5 cycles and I got it around two, another 5 cycles and it's 4. Then it fired once, one cylinder.

A few more cycles and I took a spray bottle (old Fabreze bottle [the deodarant for men]) of diesel and gave it two misty squirts in the wire mesh. Cranked and it fired up ROUGH. Let it run for a while.
Time will tell but I'm hoping it's road ready.