Battery replacement

/ Battery replacement #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Need to replace the OEM battery in my car this month. Last time I did that on my GMC, I used a 12 volt battery charger to keep the electrical system energized when I swapped the batteries. I recall when I did a battery swap back about 1998, I had been advised to keep the electrical system powered up so the electronics would not lose their "memory" and the systems would not have to go through a relearning process after battery disconnection.

I don't know if you even have to do the energizing today...any advice? Thanks.

/ Battery replacement #2  
I have no ideal but that's a great way to keep from haveing to reset everthing! :thumbsup: Now I can go back to bed cause I have learned my one thing for today! :)

Last edited:
   / Battery replacement #3  
Need to replace the OEM battery in my car this month. Last time I did that on my GMC, I used a 12 volt battery charger to keep the electrical system energized when I swapped the batteries. I recall when I did a battery swap back about 1998, I had been advised to keep the electrical system powered up so the electronics would not lose their "memory" and the systems would not have to go through a relearning process after battery disconnection.

I don't know if you even have to do the energizing today...any advice? Thanks.

Might depend on the vehicle. Call a new car dealer and ask.
I would think there would be a charged capacitor or something to keep the electronic stuff in memory for a while.
We live some distance from town and took the old battery in from one vehicle with another to save another trip with the old case recently. There was no battery in the car for a couple days and all we had to reset was the clock.
I seasonally take the cables off the GMC truck posts, as well, to clean and lube the posts with terminal lube. There again, only had to reset the clock.
It would be handy if unhooking the battery would reset the time for service and other idiot functions, IMO:)
But don't do it based on my experience..

/ Battery replacement
Might depend on the vehicle. Call a new car dealer and ask.
I would think there would be a charged capacitor or something to keep the electronic stuff in memory for a while.
We live some distance from town and took the old battery in from one vehicle with another to save another trip with the old case recently. There was no battery in the car for a couple days and all we had to reset was the clock.
I seasonally take the cables off the GMC truck posts, as well, to clean and lube the posts with terminal lube. There again, only had to reset the clock.
It would be handy if unhooking the battery would reset the time for service and other idiot functions, IMO:)
But don't do it based on my experience..

Thanks for input, I ran the battery down on the GMC a year ago and when I recharged the battery with a charger it only needed the clock reset. Amazes me how long batteries last today used to be you might get 2-3 years out of one but both our 2004 GM products are still on the OEM Delcos.

/ Battery replacement #5  
Thanks for input, I ran the battery down on the GMC a year ago and when I recharged the battery with a charger it only needed the clock reset. Amazes me how long batteries last today used to be you might get 2-3 years out of one but both our 2004 GM products are still on the OEM Delcos.
It amazes me how much they have gone up in price:(
I did find very recently that an OEM replacement battery from the car dealer was a little less than the same amp rated battery at car parts stores.
It pays to call around.
We keep our truck, which doesn't get much use, unless we need the functions of a real truck, on a solid state trickle charger all the time.
All the gizmos and shizmos run an older battery down in time, that just sets a lot, especially in cold winter months. We just plug the charger into a dash aux plug when we park it in the barn, year round now.
I hook the large tractor batteries to little chargers the same way, in the winter. The old tractor has a battery the size of a Greyhound bus battery so I want to keep it going as long as possible. Also use block heaters awhile before starting in winter. There's nothing makes me more mad than an engine that won't crank when I need it! Usually because of my lack of taking proper care of it:D

/ Battery replacement #6  
some places sell a lil thing you hook a 9v bat to and plug ion the cit lighter...

/ Battery replacement #7  
some places sell a lil thing you hook a 9v bat to and plug ion the cit lighter...

Right... One weak battery begets another weak 9V battery backup:D
Time to check your house smoke alarms too:)

/ Battery replacement

Soundguy and pacerron, you just reminded me of something....I have a pair of Sears battery charger/maintainers that put out 2 amps at 12 volts. They come with a output cord that has two plug in cords that interchange...one uses standard battery charger clips and the second is a cigarette lighter plug....was planning to use a regular charger set on 2 amps and your posts made me think of my charger/maintainers....thanks much !!! The clips could be used in the engine compartment but the lighter plug setup is more convenient.

The things you guys teach me here...THANKS !!!!

/ Battery replacement #9  
I have a cord that has two male cigarette lighter ends on it about 15' long. I have done this by plugging it into another vehicle or even my jumper pack.

Not sure if a maintainer or charger will work. Many new ones need to sense a load from a battery to stay on.

Chris

/ Battery replacement
I have a cord that has two male cigarette lighter ends on it about 15' long. I have done this by plugging it into another vehicle or even my jumper pack.

Not sure if a maintainer or charger will work. Many new ones need to sense a load from a battery to stay on.

Chris

Thanks also for your input....the 12 volt charger I have used in the past is about 15-16 years old...it is an automatic type and can be set to output 10/2/50 amps.