Diesel truck with best MPG

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #111  
2012 Crew Cab Ram CTD H.O. 4x4, Auto, 3.73:1, 2,800 miles
Best: 14.30 Empty
Worst: 9.20 Towing 8000lb
Avg Empty: 13.23 (around town)
Avg Towing: 10.13(8000lb trailer, 2 dogs, 3 adults, couple hundred # in bed)

Havent had on a road trip not towing.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #112  
2009 Ram 2500 4X4 Diesel with 3:73 gears

16/19 city/hwy

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #113  
With gas(87 octane) at $3.54 a gallon, diesel at $4.19, I'll stick with my gas Tundra and 16/19.3 city/hyway with 4:30 gears. It will readily tow anything I need to tow, up to and including a 14,000 GVWR bumper pull with 9,000 lbs of tractors on it

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #114  
2012 Crew Cab Ram CTD H.O. 4x4, Auto, 3.73:1, 2,800 miles
Best: 14.30 Empty
Worst: 9.20 Towing 8000lb
Avg Empty: 13.23 (around town)
Avg Towing: 10.13(8000lb trailer, 2 dogs, 3 adults, couple hundred # in bed)

Havent had on a road trip not towing.

I hope it gets better than that. I have averaged 14.3 for the life of my 08 Nissan Titan and towing 9,680# it gets right around 9.1.

Chris

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #115  
I hope it gets better than that. I have averaged 14.3 for the life of my 08 Nissan Titan and towing 9,680# it gets right around 9.1.

Chris
Hope so too. Got the same mileage with my '09 1500 Hemi..All else being the same!

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #116  
With the new direct injection gassers coming onto the market. The diesel with the best mileage won't matter. Since it will be cheaper per mile over the life of the truck to drive a gasser.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #117  
I think this also came up in another thread. I think there are many variables which figure into cost of operation per mile, not the least of which is load, age on vehicle, driver habits, maintenance to specify a few. Unfortunately, it is not so clear as comparing fuel types though we are doing that. With two brand new trucks with no miles, for example, this statement regarding cost per mile may be true, though I have my doubts even then in every case. Even direct fuel for fuel, in the truck I currently drive the difference in fuel economy both loaded and unloaded with the price difference between regular unleaded and diesel between exact trucks aside from engine configuration or any mandatory modifications therein shows the diesel to still be more economical. Factor in the relatively small difference in cost of routine maintenance and the higher residual value, which is there but which I generally do not factor in due to its high variability, the diesel is still more economical in many applications, especially for folks who put a lot of miles in on their vehicles. Is this the case in each case? No. Is it the case in my case? Yes, at least on the vehicles that I am using/have used.

John M

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #118  
Diesels are much more expensive in routine service and mid life replacement of diesel emissions equipment.
Two batteries, two alternators. More oil, more filters at higher prices each.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #119  
I understand the Diesels are costing more to operate but there is just no comparison to a gas motor. I bought my diesel for the 800 Ft torque so I can easily pull a heavy trailer up the local mountains, not for the fuel economy. I had a Tundra Long Bed 4x4 with full tow package and the 5.7 and pulled just shy of 12K with it one time. Did it do it, yep, but it was not happy. If I did that normally I assure you I would have had problems, both mechanical and legal (Towing over rated weight.) The larger trucks are built with the diesels for towing for a reason, they can do it all day everyday, not for fuel economy. I am not meaning this as a diesel is better, just they are different and are bought for different reasons and anymore economy is not one of them. Plus a lot of us just plain like diesels, even down to the rattling sound at idle......

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #120  
I agree; if you routinely tow 10,000 and more, diesels are the answer. Having said that, I tow the two pulling tractors, several times a year, to county fairs, etc. and the rest of the towing I could accomplish with a Tacoma sized truck, and I like the "feel" of a full sized vehicle around me. But, I'm also frugal and won't spend upwards of $60,000 on a truck and more again on maintenance for those few instances that I tow heavy