Diesel truck with best MPG

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #161  
My nephew who is barely getting 17-18 on his 2012 2500 4x4 manual with the 6.7- is back on break from the Dakota oil fields, and almost wishes he had bought either an 03 -04.5 .

That is because his girlfriend bought a 04.5 4x4 auto with an unknown tune and has now totally eclipsed his truck and my 03 in mileage.
She is consistently getting 26-28 running unloaded on hiway trips, her over head is now reading in the low 30+ mpg range!! He has also driven the truck to -see for himself.

The part that i just can't understand is when that truck is floored it (rolls coal- big time) this is hand calced mileage, and they verified the odo against his 2012. he is going to get a tuner for the 2012 and attempt to increase his mileage.

So i am officially impressed with the 04.5 with the magic tune... Must be a freak

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #162  
My nephew who is barely getting 17-18 on his 2012 2500 4x4 manual with the 6.7- is back on break from the Dakota oil fields, and almost wishes he had bought either an 03 -04.5 .

That is because his girlfriend bought a 04.5 4x4 auto with an unknown tune and has now totally eclipsed his truck and my 03 in mileage.
She is consistently getting 26-28 running unloaded on hiway trips, her over head is now reading in the low 30+ mpg range!! He has also driven the truck to -see for himself.

The part that i just can't understand is when that truck is floored it (rolls coal- big time) this is hand calced mileage, and they verified the odo against his 2012. he is going to get a tuner for the 2012 and attempt to increase his mileage.

So i am officially impressed with the 04.5 with the magic tune... Must be a freak

It's possible. My 06 F350 with a very aggressive tune and 4" exhaust gets a consistent 24 mpg highway running 75 to 80 mph. Every day around tow it's 17 + mpg.

Chris

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #163  
Pre-2007 = Cummins RAM all the way. After that, they all stink...

I would love to take a new diesel truck from any manufacturer making 800lb-ft and de-tune it to the 5-600 needed. I bet it would get 25+ mpg's WITH the emissions stuff.

De-tuning ? How would that improve mileage?
The truck still requires the same power to accelerate it's weight to highway speed. The rolling friction , aerodynamic drag and accessory loads are the same.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #164  
i've always loved these threads especially people cherry picking info.

as for the answer the older ones get better MPG than the newer ones. pick your favorite

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #165  
It's possible. My 06 F350 with a very aggressive tune and 4" exhaust gets a consistent 24 mpg highway running 75 to 80 mph. Every day around tow it's 17 + mpg.

Chris

That is some great mileage - especially at the hiway speeds you listed.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #167  
chris is your truck 2wd?

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #168  
When a person really gets down to it. All too often the "mileage" quoted is from the dash display while the vehicle is cruising at 55mph on level ground without a head wind. Rather than the average of several tanks of a known amount of fuel over a known distance.
I've had people with a straight face calculate mileage by looking at the fuel gauge and saying they used 1/2 a tank.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #169  
chris is your truck 2wd?

No, 4x4 FX4 3.73 gears. I have 4" free flow exhaust, MAC intake and filter and a 4 position custom tuned Quadzilla Chip putting out 160 HP and 200+ extra FT TQ at the rear wheels.

All my millage is hand calculated but my dash is never more than .2 mpg off. My best tanks was 23.7 mpg and I have had over 20 tanks 22 mpg or better. My average around town tank is just short of 17 mpg. My last one was 16.6 mpg.

In comparison my 1/2 ton Nissan Titan ' s best tank is 16.3 and my average is 13.8. It's still much cheaper than the diesel due to fuel for it being $.65 more per gallon.

Chris

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #170  
4 position custom tuned Quadzilla Chip putting out 160 HP and 200+ extra FT TQ at the rear wheels.

please tell me you don't actually believe that

All my millage is hand calculated but my dash is never more than .2 mpg off. My best tanks was 23.7 mpg and I have had over 20 tanks 22 mpg or better. My average around town tank is just short of 17 mpg. My last one was 16.6 mpg.

good to know. i have very little experience with the 6.0s