Diesel truck with best MPG

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #271  
Both my '95 Dodge and my '00 F250 are rust free, thank God I live in a place where rust is not a problem, The oil pan is in perfect shape as is my floor boards. Y'all can have all the nasty cold and salt. I live in the center of the state of Fl., it is centrally located and not crowded, only two traffic signals in town which is ten miles away.
John

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #272  
Fireants, termites, roaches, gators and poisonous serpents. You can have them.
That said I still wouldn't mind having 10-20 acres on the Gulf side of Florida from mid November to mid March.

Last edited:
   / Diesel truck with best MPG #273  
Really? A near 20 yr old diesel truck gets 25mpg? Come on. My 2003 F250 7.3 Crew Cab 4X4 with auto, still in pure stock form, gets around 15 to 16 mpg according to my Gauge Tuner and my tracking mpg between fill-ups, and that while empty. Pulling a load my mpg goes down quickly. I am not calling anyone a story teller. but it seems to me that mpg claims for different trucks can be like snipe hunting. Who do you believe? Older diesel trucks were heavier because they used a thicker steel for everything. Older diesel engines were not built to restrict pollution because the gov'ment didn't care, and who gave a rip about what the mpg was, because diesel was 50 to 75 cents a gallon, or less and was cheaper than regular gas up till the mid 2000's. Remember the old Dodge Power Wagons with 4X4 and made with real steel? I bet they didn't get no 25 mpg. IMHO.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #274  
FWIW we have two Chevy Cruze TD's and one Eco, the nearly identical car with a gas turbocharged 1.4l.

In mixed driving the Eco is averaging 30.5 mpg over 17,000 miles. The TD's are averaging 38.6 (call it 25% better). On long highway trips the Eco has averaged as high as 38, while the TD's have gotten over 48.

Last edited:
   / Diesel truck with best MPG #275  
Really? A near 20 yr old diesel truck gets 25mpg? Come on. My 2003 F250 7.3 Crew Cab 4X4 with auto, still in pure stock form, gets around 15 to 16 mpg according to my Gauge Tuner and my tracking mpg between fill-ups, and that while empty. Pulling a load my mpg goes down quickly. I am not calling anyone a story teller. but it seems to me that mpg claims for different trucks can be like snipe hunting. Who do you believe? Older diesel trucks were heavier because they used a thicker steel for everything. Older diesel engines were not built to restrict pollution because the gov'ment didn't care, and who gave a rip about what the mpg was, because diesel was 50 to 75 cents a gallon, or less and was cheaper than regular gas up till the mid 2000's. Remember the old Dodge Power Wagons with 4X4 and made with real steel? I bet they didn't get no 25 mpg. IMHO.

believe it or not, buut my experience and the prevailing one on some of the diesel forums i'm a member of is the older trucks get better MPGs, they are also lighter. i have a 1994 Ford 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, with a PSD it gets an honest 22 on the highway, unloaded in the summer, that not a the best it's every gotten (best i have ever seen is 24.8), but day in day out number. my father has a 96 Ford 2WD, auto, 3.55 geared with a PSD and it gets 24. he has seen a high of 26.6. my old dodge 01 auto 4x4 could hit 20 on a good day, but was normally around 19. dad's old 04 dodge would do about 22.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #276  
FWIW we have two Chevy Cruze TD's and one Eco, the nearly identical car with a gas turbocharged 1.4l. In mixed driving the Eco is averaging 30.5 mpg over 17,000 miles. The TD's are averaging 38. On long highway trips the Eco has averaged as high as 38, while the TD's have gotten over 48.

This the problems with diesels one days.

You get 30.5 mpg in the gas one around town and 38 on the highway. At $2.15 per gallon, my price today, it cost you $.070 per mile in town and $.057 on the highway.

The diesel you said gets 38 mpg around town and 48 highway. At $2.69 per gallon, my price today, it cost $.071 per mile around town and $.056 per mile highway.

It will never pay for itself. The gas one is cheaper to drive in town and the diesel is highway. But either way it's less than a cent per mile!

Chris

Last edited:
   / Diesel truck with best MPG #277  
This the problems with diesels one days. You get 30.5 mpg in the gas one around town and 38 on the highway. At $3.15 per gallon, my price today, it cost you $.103 per mile in town and $.083 on the highway. The diesel you said gets 38 mpg around town and 48 highway. At $3.69 per gallon, my price today, it cost $.097 per mile around town and $.077 per mile highway. It will take a half million miles to make the diesel pay with the difference being $.006 per mile difference in town and highway. It will take 250,000 miles to save $1500! Chris
I think you meant to list your fuel price at $2.15 and $2.69.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #278  
I think you meant to list your fuel price at $2.15 and $2.69.

You are correct. I will fix it.

This makes it a wash!

Chris

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #279  
This the problems with diesels one days.

You get 30.5 mpg in the gas one around town and 38 on the highway. At $2.15 per gallon, my price today, it cost you $.070 per mile in town and $.057 on the highway.

The diesel you said gets 38 mpg around town and 48 highway. At $2.69 per gallon, my price today, it cost $.071 per mile around town and $.056 per mile highway.

It will never pay for itself. The gas one is cheaper to drive in town and the diesel is highway. But either way it's less than a cent per mile!

Chris
We the current prices of gas and diesel the fuel cost per mile is nearly identical. We expect the diesels to be easier to sell used with high mileage. We bought the Eco to see if that's true. We put 30-40,000 miles per year on them.

For our new Ford Transit, we bought Ecoboost. More torque than the diesel (400 vs 350 ft lbs), about $4,000 less expensive, and we'll only drive the van 15-20,000 miles per year.