Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Default Re: Diesel truck with best MPG

Have no truck (European ), just a trailer behind the Volvo. Does 40mpg without, and 25mpg with trailer on a round trip, one way empty trailer, and back with a 4400 pound tractor on it at 60mph...

With Euro fuel prices, driving a 2.5 ton truck for some peace of mind for the few times a year i pull something heavy, just isnt worth it...

I wonder what happens when you guys get to pay the same fuel prices than us, somewhere in the future...

Oh, and definately true: With all the emissions crap, we'll never get the fuel economy back as we had in the late 90's in heavy vehicles like trucks and tractors... only the light engines are improving, because they get 6 speeds and more torque to cruise at lower rpm... At work the parts warehouse has a VW Caddy delivery van, it runs at 3000rpm at 120kmh because its the basic 90hp diesel with short gears, though it has never pulled a trailer in its life. Getting the 140hp with torque to drive tall gears would boost the fuel economy a 15 to 20%

Tractor
    I've gone ORANGE, Kubota B3300HSD

I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 2500, 5.9 Liter Cummings, automatic, all factory but MBRP exhaust, no tuner, no chip, no computer nuttin, other than whats under the hood. LEER Fiberglass topper. MPG to and from work; 22.5 consistantly, Long drives on freeway: 25.2; Hauling 30' Travel trailer with double slides: 14.5 to 15.5 consistantly. Enjoy the helluva out my Dodge, had Ford 2004 Crew Cab Super Duty with 8' box and Fiberglass topper 100% stock and ran low 20's in that truck and mid teens with travel trailer attached. All trucks are driven at 70 mph and always run AMSOIL syntheic oils. Just the word from my bit of the world... Take care

Platinum Member

Why is MPG such a big deal. Your obviously not aware of diesel repair, maint. costs. The first time you change oil and they hand you the bill for the materials your in for a big surprise. The average person doesn't even come close to spending the added costs of owning a diesel truck. I know for some it is a big ego trip. Buy a used one and save money.............. and when you get done with the updates and repairs you will wish you never saw it.
    Bottom line, if you are worried about a couple miles per gallon, don't even go there.

Tractor

Why so much negitivity... Just enjoy the vehicle you like and well MPG isn't the main thing, just enjoying it all.... Drop the negitivity Moiarity.......

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

Quote Originally Posted by Renze
    Have no truck (European ), just a trailer behind the Volvo. Does 40mpg without, and 25mpg with trailer on a round trip, one way empty trailer, and back with a 4400 pound tractor on it at 60mph...

With Euro fuel prices, driving a 2.5 ton truck for some peace of mind for the few times a year i pull something heavy, just isnt worth it...

I wonder what happens when you guys get to pay the same fuel prices than us, somewhere in the future...

Oh, and definately true: With all the emissions crap, we'll never get the fuel economy back as we had in the late 90's in heavy vehicles like trucks and tractors... only the light engines are improving, because they get 6 speeds and more torque to cruise at lower rpm... At work the parts warehouse has a VW Caddy delivery van, it runs at 3000rpm at 120kmh because its the basic 90hp diesel with short gears, though it has never pulled a trailer in its life. Getting the 140hp with torque to drive tall gears would boost the fuel economy a 15 to 20%
    I envy all the Diesel options you have on the other side of the pond.

Tractor
    NH TC29DA Bolens G14 Skytrac 5028 Dodge Cummins Jeep Rubicon Grizzly 700

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Blue View Post
    Why is MPG such a big deal. Your obviously not aware of diesel repair, maint. costs. The first time you change oil and they hand you the bill for the materials your in for a big surprise. The average person doesn't even come close to spending the added costs of owning a diesel truck. I know for some it is a big ego trip. Buy a used one and save money.............. and when you get done with the updates and repairs you will wish you never saw it.
    Bottom line, if you are worried about a couple miles per gallon, don't even go there.
    Someone can buy a diesel truck that gets 8 MPG or they could buy one that gets over 20 MPG. Of course I care about that kind of difference. Absolutely. Who wouldn't?

It's not about buying a honda civic vs. a Dodge Cummins. It's about which diesel will serve you the best, and mileage is one of the considerations. Reliability is another. My truck has 250,000 miles on it and has had zero engine problems. Safety is another. I'd much rather be in a 3/4 ton truck in a wreck, than a small car. I drive a Passat TDI too, but people cut me off a lot more in that car than they do my truck.

So I'd say it's not just an ego trip with hidden costs. Not at all.
    Last edited by Raspy; 06-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    John

I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    I would love to take a new diesel truck from any manufacturer making 800lb-ft and de-tune it to the 5-600 needed. I bet it would get 25+ mpg's WITH the emissions stuff.
    What ever happened to this little gem coming to the states? It has a four cylinder 2.5-liter common rail diesel engine that's rated at 105 horsepower and 182 pounds-feet of torque and coupled to a five-speed manual transmission, up to 30 mpg, 1.3-tons of payload and 5,000 pounds of towing ability

Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Tractor

Amen to that.. Ok, I am off this soap box.... I love my diesels, love my trucks...

Tractor
    Branson 4520R

Currently drive 09' GMC gets 17 on HWY. 06' pre DPF got 19. 06' ford 6.0 got 15. Heard rumors of 20+ think it is downhill with a tailwind. My foot is heavy and I generally have 75 gal diesel in the back and enough tools to get the job done.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by Renze View Post

In america if you drive a volvo pulling a 6000 pound load you are asking to be sued for everything you have if you get in an accident!! How do your spindles not get sawed off pulling that kind of load, it must be 3-4000lbs overweight??
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast