Diesel truck with best MPG

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Not trying to start a brand war and don't want to get in to any aspects of the trucks other than mpg.

Assuming the trucks (3/4 ton 4x4) are similarly equipped and stock which of the three will get the best mpg?

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #2  
It's not just the brand, it's also the year.

Cummins is notorious for good mileage. The early '04 models are better than the later ones through '07. The new 6.7 model is worse yet because of timing, EGR and DPF equipment for emissions.

Late Fords are bad too and Ford has called back some of them for re-programming which makes them worse.

Specific mileage claims are very hard to verify because people want to believe the computer or only give the mileage figures for a short run or while coasting down hill, etc.

Long term use records or a full tank round trip calculation, at the minimum, gives more accuracy.

You are likely to hear all sorts of wild claims by opening this can of worms. prepare for a lot of stories.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #3  
I don't know if any others are better, but I can tell you what mine gets. (09 Ford F250, crew cab, 2wd, short bed, completely stock, 3.55 rear end gears) I get between 20 and 21 on the highway with the cruise set at 70mph. That has been figured several times during several trips. The in dash computer tells me I am getting 23 on those trips. I agree you may get some people claiming huge numbers. My opinion is they are either full of bull or modified trucks.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #4  
My stock 2004 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.6L Duramax with 70K miles gets an average 18 mpg. 75% is town and 25% is highway. About 5% of my miles are pulling a 12.5k tandem axle trailer with a L39 on its back. Before the GMC, I had a 1998 Dodge with a Cummins and I got around 21 mpg.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG
I have owned all three brands but they were older models, and I had bigger tires on them, etc. so my mileage experiences were not very consistent. I want to buy one now and and I know the new emissions crap is hurting the mpg. I know I drove a 2008 F-350 4x4 crew cab diesel and it was getting 13mpg empty. It was brand new less than 1000 miles so maybe it was not broken in yet I don't know but I sure don't want to drop 50k on a truck and get crap mileage.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #6  
I have owned all three brands but they were older models, and I had bigger tires on them, etc. so my mileage experiences were not very consistent. I want to buy one now and and I know the new emissions crap is hurting the mpg. I know I drove a 2008 F-350 4x4 crew cab diesel and it was getting 13mpg empty. It was brand new less than 1000 miles so maybe it was not broken in yet I don't know but I sure don't want to drop 50k on a truck and get crap mileage.

I dont think you'll find the "best of both worlds" with a truck built to "work"
We have 3 GMC 1-ton dually's same model but years 08-10. the 08 is averaging around 9 with a loaded trailer, my 09 gets around 12-13 with 12# trailer, go figure. Had a Ford 250 and GMC 2500, the GMC did much better up to 22.

I dont buy into the posted mileage on new vehicles, since the testing is seriously flawed. To many variables between options and driving styles I think.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #7  
mine gets 22mpg and can haul 5 ton on the back, I won't mention the brand, brand wars.

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #8  
I own a 2001 dodge 2500 4x4, 6 speed manual shift. It has a power chip that puts it 90 HP over stock. I have land in the mountains about 4 hours away from my house and I consistently get up to 24 mpg. My wife drives a ford power stroke that gets about 17 on the same trip. The Ford is more comfortable and quieter but we always seem to take the Dodge. The truck has an oversized turbo, no cat, 4 inch exhaust, injectors, winch, air bags, jake brake, aux fuel tank, lift, reunel bumpers, mag hytec rear end, etc. My Dodge kicks my Fords *** all day long. Why would you keep a truck stock?

Attachments

• image-206273528.jpg
    image-206273528.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 3,087
Last edited:
   / Diesel truck with best MPG #9  
my 97 dodge cummins also got pretty good mpgs...auto, single rear axle, 3.55 gears I think, and i always got about 20mpg

If I was trying I could get better

Stock turbo, but had the timing altered, fuel pressure increased, 4 inch exhaust....

/ Diesel truck with best MPG #10  
Pre-2007 = Cummins RAM all the way. After that, they all stink...

I would love to take a new diesel truck from any manufacturer making 800lb-ft and de-tune it to the 5-600 needed. I bet it would get 25+ mpg's WITH the emissions stuff.