How hard should bearing buddies be to install?

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I have read that bearing buddies are a very tight press fit into the hubs, BUT:

Even after keeping my bb's in the freezer overnight, which I have read will shrink them slightly because of the cold, they simply will not press into my utility trailer hubs. I have tried using a ball peen hammer and a wood block, just the hammer alone, a plastic tip hammer, and still they will not press in. The dust cap that came with the trailer is the same size OD as the bearing buddies are and those also are a huge PIB to install for some reason. I am afraid if I keep hammering something is going to be damaged. Would it be practical to remove the wheel and tire and try to press the bearing buddies in using a pair of large C-clamps?

Or is it possible the Chinese made hubs are slightly undersized? Thanks for any advice.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #2  
Or is it possible the Chinese made hubs are slightly undersized? Thanks for any advice.

Dunno. I bought some Chinese hubs for my travel trailer and I had to grind a bevel on the end caps to get them to drive in. I didn't mic them, so I can only guess they were a little under size.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #3  
Bevel out the ends on a bench grinder. I do it all the time. Many times just removing the chrome on the BB will do the trick. I have never had to freeze them.

Chris

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #4  
This post reminded me of a question I have about the effectiveness of these additions.

I am probably overthinking this as usual but, a hub with a zerk is designed to insure grease gets to both bearings, I do not see how this is accomplished using these contraptions.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #5  
There are different sizes for different hubs. Not all are the 1.98".

They should tap right in with the assist of a wooden block for uniformity of installation.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install?
This post reminded me of a question I have about the effectiveness of these additions.

I am probably overthinking this as usual but, a hub with a zerk is designed to insure grease gets to both bearings, I do not see how this is accomplished using these contraptions.

Good point and in many cases the Bearing Buddies are NOT used just for greasing purposes. If I recall right they are more commonly used on boat trailer hubs that are submerged. Which is why I have the ones I am asking about, I purchased them intending to install them on a boat trailer but sold the trailer without installing them. The problem many owners experience with these "contraptions" is that they misuse them, packing in so much grease the rear seals on the hubs begin leaking. I don't think they are to be used to completely pack the grease into both bearings, but to create a seal when the boat trailer hubs are submerged. You are supposed to pack your wheel bearings by hand, install the bb's and THEN add just a small amount of additional grease thru the zerk so it begins to push the spring out about 1/8".

Chris will know if I got that right...and thanks to those who suggested beveling or removing the chrome from the BB.

Last edited:
   / How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #7  
Use a socket or piece of pipe. that fits onto flange and drive them on.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #8  
The proper way to fill a Buddy Bearing is to add just enough grease so that the plate containing the zerk can be rocked by placing a finger at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions.

This putts the grease under a slight pressure preventing water intrusion.

Chris.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #9  
The proper way to fill a Buddy Bearing is to add just enough grease so that the plate containing the zerk can be rocked by placing a finger at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions.

This putts the grease under a slight pressure preventing water intrusion.

Chris.

The new ones come with a blue stripe near the snap ring. If you can't see the blue ring you need to add grease until it extends about 1/8" past the snap ring.

/ How hard should bearing buddies be to install? #10  
The new ones come with a blue stripe near the snap ring. If you can't see the blue ring you need to add grease until it extends about 1/8" past the snap ring.

Yes, I have a trailer with a pair of these on it. I have also installed the ones with the red dots. The tried and true way to check them is still to rock the pressure plate.

Chris