EX Uhaul truck

/ EX Uhaul truck #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
I would like opinions on how well Uhaul trucks are maintained. There is a 26' box truck at a local uhaul dealer for sale that I could buy for $8500. It has somewhere around 230k on it. I think this is a bit high. I would really like to find a used Isuzu or similar 14-20ft cabover box truck in my area for less money if possible. (zip 62571)

Other options?

Thanks!

/ EX Uhaul truck #2  
I would like opinions on how well Uhaul trucks are maintained. There is a 26' box truck at a local uhaul dealer for sale that I could buy for $8500. It has somewhere around 230k on it. I think this is a bit high. I would really like to find a used Isuzu or similar 14-20ft cabover box truck in my area for less money if possible. (zip 62571)

Other options?

Thanks!

They get some hard use and do not look to be maintained very well. I agree the price is high especially for that many miles.

/ EX Uhaul truck #3  
I think there are better options out there. U-haul's are run hard and the maintenance can very greatly between locations(or at least it sure seems that way). Just think who typically rents a uhaul....

/ EX Uhaul truck #4  
Thats bad high for a Uhaul truck or any truck with that many miles. I will give them this I have a friend with a roll back and wrecker service and he buys the old Uhauls for about 4k. They make good trucks for his business plus before they are bought Uhaul puts new tires and brakes on them and other things to sell a safe truck.

/ EX Uhaul truck #5  
U-haul's are run hard and the maintenance can very greatly between locations
I agree, the maintenance seems to vary widely. I know several people who have bought U-Haul box trucks and been very happy with them. I also know a girl whose family who owns some storage places and a U-Haul depot and she hates dealing with the U-Hauls because she feels they deal with a lot of break-downs.

I am curious what the original poster is planning to do with the truck.

/ EX Uhaul truck #6  
You don't say what it is, make, model, gas or diesel? Most likely a GM product. When I drove for a living our operation sometimes rented straight trucks but never from U-Haul. Ryder was much preferred and we knew they maintained their vehicles well. 230K is high for a gas engine but middling for a diesel if well maintained.

Does it have a liftgate or a loading ramp? Liftgates are costly to have repaired. A lot of rental box trucks have sustained accidents and/or cargo box damage and the rental places don't often do a good repair job. Odds are the one you are looking at is under 26,000 GVW meaning anybody with a regular license could rent it. Meaning most of the drivers are clueless as to driving a large vehicle.

Depreciation on a medium duty truck is frightful. My last work truck was a bare-bones F-800 diesel with an automatic, 20' box, and liftgate. Buying thru the fleet service at max discount it cost my employers about $65,000 and six years later, at 50,000 miles it was auctioned off at $10,300 and it still looked and ran like new.

I would steer clear of the one you mention....too much money AND TOO MANY MILES.

/ EX Uhaul truck #7  
Had a good friend of mine buy an 80's IH box truck from Uhaul llike 3 years ago... the old style with air bags in the rear that bled off and lowered the back end down which ment it had a "low loading deck" height. (that meant wheel wells inside). His had a ramp. It was a diesel 5 speed.

He picked his up for $3000. he had the brakes checked out a a large truck shop. we serviced it and got various lights and electrical issues working.

Then he packed up his entire house and family in it and moved it from Alton IL to newport OR.

While he had lots of issues with trailer tires on the 4000 mi trip, not a single tire issue or mechanical issue with the truck.

/ EX Uhaul truck #8  
You don't say what it is, make, model, gas or diesel? Most likely a GM product. When I drove for a living our operation sometimes rented straight trucks but never from U-Haul. Ryder was much preferred and we knew they maintained their vehicles well. 230K is high for a gas engine but middling for a diesel if well maintained.

Does it have a liftgate or a loading ramp? Liftgates are costly to have repaired. A lot of rental box trucks have sustained accidents and/or cargo box damage and the rental places don't often do a good repair job. Odds are the one you are looking at is under 26,000 GVW meaning anybody with a regular license could rent it. Meaning most of the drivers are clueless as to driving a large vehicle.

Depreciation on a medium duty truck is frightful. My last work truck was a bare-bones F-800 diesel with an automatic, 20' box, and liftgate. Buying thru the fleet service at max discount it cost my employers about $65,000 and six years later, at 50,000 miles it was auctioned off at $10,300 and it still looked and ran like new.

I would steer clear of the one you mention....too much money AND TOO MANY MILES.

The Fleet leasing Companies do take a lot better care of their vehicles and a lot of those vehicles were leased to one customer since new.
I have driven some Semi Tractors that were bought from leasers and they were in good shape except normal wear and tear.
I used to also do Lease Return Pick Ups for a major leasor and had to drive them 50-250 miles back to the terminal and never had any problems with them.